Supplementary Texts - Physical (1 Viewer)

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Yup, markers hate The Simpsons. I would say Lord of the Rings is an awesome supplementary text. I am using it and it would be great if i could an article on Immigrants coming to a new country, etc. So if anybody has anything, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sloth -

HSC
Maybe you could use a poster?
I'm thinking of using a war recruitment/propaganda poster.

*usernametaken*

the depths of my mind... aka, west wyalong
HSC
im doing, probably, 'journey's over land and sea' but shirley geok-lin lim out of the stim, strzynecki and a related text for the thesis "its the jourmey that a traveller must look towards, not the destination to which they are travellling". the only problem is that i dont have a related text, and im looking for something like a image. btw, im doing physical jourmeys. anyone got any ideas?

jenniferproto

HSC
AOS: Physical Journeys... also try Transamerica... good movie, can relate to Peter Skrzynecki's poem "Feliks Skrynecki".. also a good laugh!!

caintoad

HSC
hi, i am doing a speech, due monday on phsicl journeys and the poem i need to use is Robert Frost, the road not taken, i have chosen a movie called without limits as my related text, however i don't fully comprehend what they mean by "desribe & analyze how the language forms, features & structures of texts shape meaning & influence responses" can anyone translate into real english please!!:eek:

Lawl

HSC
Questions about Vertical Limit?

1) Does the physical journey affect the traveller at all? Like does he change metally and spritually through the obstacles he face?

2) Is he scared in the begining and faces his fears?

SituationNoir

HSC
Ok, just got my first Sup text back - I did 'How I live Now' by Meg Rosoff and if anyone has heard of or read this book and still needs a text this is a GOOD ONE. I was a bit concerned at first, but after going through it properly, theres some great material AND my teacher was v. pleased. I've managed to connect it also to peter Skrzynecki's 'Feliks Skrzynecki' and the 'The Road Not taken' from the stimulus booklet.

I'll most definately use that one, but I have to hand in another ORT...I'm currently looking for visual ones OTHER than film. Hopefully something a little different.

Elke

HSC
I'm with Caintoad on this one, I too have a speech due in a week and have been asked to " describe how the language forms, features and structures of texts shape meaning and influence responses" now this would be ok, if i actually understood that, but i'm not quite sure I do.

Combine this with not having seen my (hopeless) english teacher for a week and only studying 2 texts from the BoS stimulus booklet ( Ivory Trail cover + Wind in the Willows) I am beginning to freak out.

I intend to use Lost in Translation as a related text to possibly Text 7 of the booklet - Shirley Geok-lin Lim, "The Town Where Time Stands Still"

does anyone have any thoughts?

**Only week 6 of the HSC, snowed under with like 6 assessments, anyone else feeling the crunch yet?**

victoria-8231

HSC
N/A
Do you know of anywhere I could find notes on "Priscilla:Queen of the Desert"????

goldenphoenix1

HSC
caintoad said:
hi, i am doing a speech, due monday on phsicl journeys and the poem i need to use is Robert Frost, the road not taken, i have chosen a movie called without limits as my related text, however i don't fully comprehend what they mean by "desribe & analyze how the language forms, features & structures of texts shape meaning & influence responses" can anyone translate into real english please!!:eek:
hello
i had to do that same speech
i chose "wind in the willows" and skrzynecki's "crossing the red sea"
i found out that what that means is
what are the techniques that convey the meaning of that text?
dumbed down more
Techniques that depict the emotion, the tone(feeling), the atmosphere
THE TECHNIQUES BRO ZOR! and what they do
and not the crappy ones like "that's a simile"

i had to sit through half a day of dumb dumbs with air in their heads saying that...

*usernametaken*

the depths of my mind... aka, west wyalong
HSC
Shrikar said:
it would be great if i could an article on Immigrants coming to a new country, etc. So if anybody has anything, it would be greatly appreciated.
you should try looking through some 'new internationalist' mags. a friend of mine is using one from 2002 or 2003 which deals completely with immigration. apparently there are lots of editions with immigration as a main theme. try it.

i found a possible related text. william morris's news from nowhere. my english teacher lent it to me, and apparently it is pretty good. still getting around to reading it though.

we've been told not to use song lyrics. apparently they look for sophisticted material, and seemingly songs arent it. i recommend foreign movies, award winning if possible, classic writings and modern literature. thats a lie actually, the teachers told me to say that:)

Maz6277

HSC
that list was great, thanks.
im doing 'A hard rains a-gonna fall' by Bob Dylan lyrics.. does anyone know much about these lyrics or have any links or notes that could help? .. thnx

rodie

HSC
Did anyone do "Survival of the Fittest" by Rebecca Winters. TimeMay 12, 2003. Page 55, as a related material for physical journey?????? coz i need some info on it.....if anyone has any info on it i would appreciate if u could send it as i was thinking of choosing this text......

bored6

HSC
Im doing Jonathon Livingston seagull as one of my supp. texts. Is this a good/bad text for the physical journey?

Cheers

livOantO

HSC
ums here are some movies..

LOTR
Apollo 13
ice age
shrek
forest grump
braveheart
castaway
saving private ryan
big fish

RosesAreBlack

HSC
I'm looking for short stories in relation to physical journeys.

I need to show how a variety of text forms can depict physical journeys. So far, I've used two Skrzynecki poems, a film and a song (music analysis included), so I think a short story would be a good idea (unless someone believes otherwise?) ...

I'm also wondering, if we do a magazine article, wouldn't the visual elements (such as pictures, placement and colours) as well as the article itself have to be included in the analysis?

~RosesAreBlack

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)