Survey for my PIP - Schizophrenia! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

blond_e

HSC
Hey I hate doing these things but I really need help. I would greatly appreciate it if my survey was answered as it will assist me in my production of my PIP. If you have time please answer, promise it won't take too long =)

My topic is "Schizophrenia and attitudes towards schizophrenic youth in Australian Society"

1. Which age category would you be categorised in (youth, middle-aged, elderly).

2. What is your gender?

3. What would you say is your socio-economic status (affluent, middle-class, poor)?

4. What do you know about schizophrenia?

5. Do you know of anyone that suffers from schizophrenia? (can be hereditary or drug induced).

6. What do you think the cause of schizophrenia is?

7. What’s your initial thought when you see a youth suffering from schizophrenia in public or on the media?

8. Do you feel sympathy for youths who suffer from schizophrenia or plainly just blame them?

9. Hypothetically speaking, if you saw a schizophrenic youth in public what would your initial reaction be?

10. Do you think this illness has enough promotion when it comes to media and support from the government?

ii. if answered no, can you suggest any ideas to promote this illness and make the public more aware of it.

iii. if answered yes, how has this illness been promoted through the media to the public and how has the government supported the treatment of this illness?

Thanks =)

Last edited:

Keat

HSC
blond_e said:
Hey I hate doing these things but I really need help. I would greatly appreciate it if my survey was answered as it will assist me in my production of my PIP. If you have time please answer, promise it won't take too long =)

My topic is "Schizophrenia and attitudes towards schizophrenic youth in Australian Society"

1. Which age category would you be categorised in (youth, middle-aged, elderly).

2. What is your gender?

4. What would you say is your socio-economic status (affluent, middle-class, poor)?

5. What do you know about schizophrenia?

4. Do you know of anyone that suffers from schizophrenia? (can be hereditary or drug induced).

5. What do you think the cause of schizophrenia is?

6. What’s your initial thought when you see a youth suffering from schizophrenia in public or on the media?

7. Do you feel sympathy for youths who suffer from schizophrenia or plainly just blame them?

8. Hypothetically speaking, if you saw a schizophrenic youth in public what would your initial reaction be?

9. Do you think this illness has enough promotion when it comes to media and support from the government?

ii. if answered no, can you suggest any ideas to promote this illness and make the public more aware of it.

iii. if answered yes, how has this illness been promoted through the media to the public and how has the government supported the treatment of this illness?

Thanks =)

1. youth

2. female

3. haha you forgot a question 3!! =)

4. Yes

5. I'm not 100% sure but I'll give it a crack. It can be inherited through genetics. It is believed you must have a certain chromosome to inherit it. It can also be brought on through drug use, in particular excessive use of marijuana.

6. Generally sadness as they can be treated in a pitying way. It's like anyone with mental disease or disability, people can be quite rude and stare. Especially annoys me when other people my age do this. It really angers me, as I know what its like through family, to be on the other side of this.

7. Feel for their situation, what brought on their condition depends on the situation. If it's marijuana use then I find it hard to bring myself to feel sorry for these people as theyultimately brought it upon themselves.

8. Probaby sadness.

9. No I definitely don't feel it has enough media or government support. People assume they know the disease and what the sufferers go through but I really dont think they do. I find many of my peers, especially when we discuss mental health in pd/h/pe, in particular boys, jeer and make fun of and pretend they are schizophrenic. It deeply offends me. I think more television advertisments, pamphlets in doctors surgeries, discussion about it in pd/h/pe mandatory yr 7-10 classes could help boost the knowledge about it in society.

Hope this could help you. I sympathise with you as I am doing my PIP for society as well. BTW I think your topic is great. Maybe I'm biased but I find it very interesting.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Youth

2. What is your gender?
Male

4. What would you say is your socio-economic status (affluent, middle-class, poor)?
Middle-class

It's a mental disorder in which the person experiences delusion and hallucinations.

4. Do you know of anyone that suffers from schizophrenia? (can be hereditary or drug induced).
Not that I know of.

Probably hereditary and possibly due to events and circumstances in life that affect the person.

6. What’s your initial thought when you see a youth suffering from schizophrenia in public or on the media?
I feel deeply sorry for them.

7. Do you feel sympathy for youths who suffer from schizophrenia or plainly just blame them?
Sympathy.

8. Hypothetically speaking, if you saw a schizophrenic youth in public what would your initial reaction be?
O_O!

9. Do you think this illness has enough promotion when it comes to media and support from the government?
I believe it is an important mental disorder that continues to be made aware to the public.

Newspaper articles, particularly feature articles in magazines have been effective, flyers designed by medical organisations have also promoted it.

blond_e

HSC
Keat said:
Hope this could help you. I sympathise with you as I am doing my PIP for society as well. BTW I think your topic is great. Maybe I'm biased but I find it very interesting.
Yeah, I find this PIP a real annoyance lol I have 4 major works to do. I do PD as well.. GOD IT'S HARD!. thanks, I wanted to do something different. I'm also doing my PIP in narrative form so should be interesting!

p.s. thanks for letting me know about the mix up in numbers

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Youth

2. What is your gender?
Male

..middle?

Schizophrenia is a mental condition in which the sufferer has vivid auditory hallucinations amongst other things.

No....wait....no...

Genetic...chemical...drug usage..
Ive always remember this quote:
"If you have a family history of schizophrenia, marijuana can increase your likelyness of getting it by up to %300"

Sucks to be you.

Sympathy. But sympathy doesnt fix problems.

It depends on how bad their condition was. If they were panicking and being threatening I would be quite shocked I suppose. Otherwise, its not that easy to tell.

No...that said...nothing does.

Advertisment explaining the effects/cause..support groups...

Gangels

HSC
blond_e said:

2. What is your gender?

3. What would you say is your socio-economic status (affluent, middle-class, poor)?

5. Do you know of anyone that suffers from schizophrenia? (can be hereditary or drug induced).

7. What’s your initial thought when you see a youth suffering from schizophrenia in public or on the media?

8. Do you feel sympathy for youths who suffer from schizophrenia or plainly just blame them?

9. Hypothetically speaking, if you saw a schizophrenic youth in public what would your initial reaction be?

10. Do you think this illness has enough promotion when it comes to media and support from the government?

Thanks =)
1. Youth
2. Male
3. Missing something?
4. Middle-class
5. Absolutely nothing, what everyone else said
4. This is a weird way to count. No, no i do not.
5. Most likely too much weed (or any drug i guess), hereditary or induced by bad experiences.
6. I wouldnt know.
7. Sympathy
8. Reapeat answer to question 6
9. I think , from what i know off my mum, that this illness has all the support the gov't can give, seeming as its not the only illness or worse that there is.

Keat

HSC
blond_e said:
Yeah, I find this PIP a real annoyance lol I have 4 major works to do. I do PD as well.. GOD IT'S HARD!. thanks, I wanted to do something different. I'm also doing my PIP in narrative form so should be interesting!

p.s. thanks for letting me know about the mix up in numbers

Thats okay I left a few answers out though because I got mixed up! How much have you done of your PIP? I have done jack all. My topic is the role of colour in our culture and im so over it. It bores me now but i dont have enough time to pick another topic so guess i better start liking it!

blond_e

HSC
Keat said:
Thats okay I left a few answers out though because I got mixed up! How much have you done of your PIP? I have done jack all. My topic is the role of colour in our culture and im so over it. It bores me now but i dont have enough time to pick another topic so guess i better start liking it!
I haven't done anything. I've done the title and I've just created the survey. I've been working on my drama IP and GP so I haven't really been focused on my PIP. Yeah I answered your survey, I like your topic =)

BronwynKate

HSC
1. I would be categorised in Youth. I am 23, so by the standard of 15-25 I am probably older than most youth here. I was 9 years old when I first became aware of what schizoprenia was, so what follows is fourteen years experience.

2. Female.

3. Upper-working/lower-middle. My Dad is an asphalting contractor (was a journalist and worked in local government) and my Mum is a homemaker. (She was a teacher). My Uncle is on the disability support pension and he was a painter and entrepreneur. How would you judge class - on occupation or on the amount of money brought? I will get my Dad's time book so you can see roughly how much he makes in a year.

3. Schizophrenia is a mental disorder (according to the DSM-IV [V?] and ICD-10), but it would be better to say it was neurochemical as it affects dopamine and also serotonin, two very important chemicals in the brain which control cognition and affect (thoughts and feelings). It creates perceptions even though some people may not have delusions and hallucinations. It has positive and negative symptoms, both of which are stigmatising. Some of the negative symptoms are similar to autism spectrum disorders, whereas the positive ones most autistic people never experience. Autism once was considered a form of childhood schizophrenia or psychosis. There are four types of schizophrenia: hebephonic, catatonic, paranoid and simple. It can be easily confused with other conditions as I refer to later, so it is VERY VERY important that it be diagnosed correctly, treated early and given correct medication and supportive psychotherapy. I know that it is different from anxiety and depression.

5. I do know of my "Uncle" Doug. He has been a friend of my father for fifteen years and more. I see him every Thursday so we talk about mental illness, writing and many things that interest us. I first knew he had schizophrenia in 1992. I have since learnt that he was misdiagnosed and in fact has schizoaffective disorder and bipolar. But I worked on the understanding that he had schizophrenia from 1992 to 2005, so you can consider my experiences with my uncle a schizophrenic for the purposes of your study. He is 57 and first developed it when he was 17 to 21. He is a member of several environmental groups.

6. I think the cause of schizophrenia is varied. I do not think it will ever be known. I lean towards the genetic side of things myself, and it is like a predisposition which is carried through when perhaps someone has a bad experience. It can also be caused by lack of differentiation (this is getting into psychoanalysis here, and I need to be careful) between the child and parents. Certainly Doug feels that this aggravated the symptoms in his case.

7. I would try to validate them in their experiences, counter the delusions, comfort the hallucinations (they can be scary: I have had similar perceptual experiences from sensory overload, but I believe they are qualitatively different). I do feel for them. They are in a strange and rare world and nobody does understand them. I would hope they had support from their family, friends and the medical community as it is a very lonely illness the way society is set up now. I would feel a sense of kinship. In the olden times schizophrenics were seen as containing wisdom and stories, and there is almost a bit of awe in my reactions and feelings. Of course the whole survival thing. I support the anti-psychiatry mindset completely, as I do feel that lots of psychiatry is getting it wrong.

8. As I said I would be empathetic and understanding. I don't see any reason to blame the person at all. I think it is a cosmic accident. If it were drugs I would be wary. I do not like the idea of psychosis being triggered by drugs, so I would avoid them when I can. However I am a secular humanist who nevertheless believes that I should "love the sinner and avoid the sin".

9. I would be a little wary, as I was of my Uncle Doug. I had images in my head about axe-murderers and that impaired my relationship for sometime (this was before I got into my teenage years). I have now worked very hard through these prejudices and seen a lot of people. Something really influential for me was seeing Joey Rainbow in Home and Away in 1997-98 and how he developed his psychosis and coped with it. I imagine if I did meet a youth with schizophrenia in real life I would work through it just like I worked through Joey Rainbow which I believe is a reasonably accurate portrayal if exaggerated in parts (the cult I did not find particularly believeable, though emotionally powerful). Coming as it did when I was a young teenager myself, it was therapeutic for me. As one of the other posters referred to, schizophrenia is an invisible condition. This may well impair my perceptions.

10. I believe the Australian government - and the public - could do more. We have good promotion through SANE - they always mention media portrayals - Friends of the Emotionally and Mentally Ill - also the Schizophrenia Fellowship and Sandy Jeffs. I think it is very well covered in the media, especially in the quality papers. The Herald-Sun tends to be sensationalistic in its coverage, especially as we saw through the schizophrenic Garden and their pursuit of him. The public in general needs to be far more aware. There are opportunities to have your voice/say about mental illness through the House of Representative and Senate Committees - do put in a submission whenever you can! The Womens' Weekly provided initial information that was not scary for a young girl, and so would Dolly, Girlfriend, Marie Claire (I love their more sensitive articles, which remind us women can suffer emotionally and mentally).

ForG0tenSouL

HSC
Youth

2. What is your gender?
Female

Middle-class

metal dissorder that effects the brain, people with schizophrenia may hear voices and such they appear to be insane.

No

genetics, brain development, drugs

Feel sorry for them.

i feel sympathy

oohh the poor person who cant have a normal life feel sad for them.

No but not all illness are so their should be more done to support the ill.

More media attention and so people fell that their is the need to help the ill and families of those who are ill. Make it more aware to the public, government schools should teach more about illness.

rhia

salty
HSC
i think a few of your options might be a bit offensive. i don't know if people want to confess as to being 'elderly' or 'poor', plus, the socio-economic status question is vague.

youth.

2. What is your gender?
female.

middle-class.

i'm aware that it's a mental illness of variant types, that is to say that not all schizophrenics are hallucinating freaks.

yes. i didn't know schizophrenia was hereditary though.

you've just told me it's hereditary or drug induced.

i don't often see it in the media or in public. however, when i think of a 'youth suffering from schizophrenia', it is a thought that doesn't carry negative judgements with it.

blame them for what? sympathy. unless of course, it is a person who is schizophrenic as a result of abusing drugs.

how would i know they're schizophrenic? would they be holding a sign? the person i know who is schizophrenic is not obviously schizophrenic. he looks completely 'normal'.

promotion makes it sound like a product. but anyway, no and no.

it's aware, but it's not well educated by it. but idk, not my job.

Frankibones

HSC
N/A
Hi!

Saw your survey on the internet, and I thought I would contribute.....

1. My Age category is between youth and middle aged

2. I am male

3. My socio-economic status is lower middle class

4. I know a lot about schizophrenia, because I work at the Queensland Centre for Mental Health research. Basically what I understand about it is that some people have a genetic propensity towards schizophrenia, and this is sometimes brought out into a major episode of unusual behaviour, delusions, visions and voices by stresses of some kind, which could be working too hard or substance abuse among others-most people who get it have it for life, and have to take a medication of some kind to manage the illness.

5. I know hundreds of people with schizophrenia through my research and when I was volunteering at a Clubhouse for people with Schizophrenia and other mental illnesses.

6. I think the cause of schizophrenia is partly genetic, partly stress, which could be a kind of spiritual state of extreme anxiety brought on by trauma of some kind.

7. My initial thought is "there's another one for the club", meaning I hope that they find the kind of services to help them that I have already worked in.

8. I feel sympathy for anyone with schizophrenia, because it is so terrible I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The crime of taking drugs is not equal to the terrible suffereing it can induce.

9. I would feel an affinity with them, and hope they can access the right services.

10. I think the government is doing what it can, but the media are not interested in the schizophrenia success stories, they only want to promote those who have committed crimes while they are totally freaked out. It's very biased in a negative way.

ii). I think a good way of informing people about schizophrenia is to have documentaries on television about the unsung heroes who have made a success of their lives even though they have schizophrenia-this would give people hope when they get the illness to persevere.

iii) The biggest help the government does is to give people with a mental Illness the disability support pension, that's a big help. There are employment services and rehabilitation services that exist, but these are too few to meet the social need, so I think the government needs to get behind places like stepping stone clubhouse which turn peoples lives around once they are out of hospital.

I suggest you look up stepping stone clubhouse's website, it's pretty cool.

www.steppingstoneclubhouse.org.au

Thanks, hope that helps you out.

Francis

BronwynKate

HSC
Stepping Stone Clubhouse is a great place! I looked on the website, and it's very valuable work you're doing Frank. I especially like the idea that you're part of an international clubhouse network which is something I hadn't heard of until today. This would really empower youth and everyone with schizophrenia and really help with their self-esteem. Peer support is important.

Did you think of having a documentary made about the Clubhouse?

PS: How would we think of having a clubhouse started in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne, or even in the city? We could probably go to your training ...

Last edited:

Frankibones

HSC
N/A
Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for your reply, as far as I know there is a clubhouse type place in Melbourne called Bromham Place, I'm not sure which area it is in though. From what I hear, they are not too big on employment, and have a "drop in" centre culture going on, where the participation is largely social. If you can talk them into becoming more like a real clubhouse, that would be great, but perhaps it might be better to start your idea of a new clubhouse. If you want to know more about what's involved in getting set up, I suggest you email the director of stepping stone, melanie, she's VERY motivated in helping people with a mental illness, and she has been with the clubhouse since the beginning.

try melanie@steppingstoneclubhouse.org.au

Thanks

Francis

BronwynKate

HSC
We have services in Ringwood, Lilydale and Ferntree Gully. Especially Halycon. I ought to have said something last Thursday but I had forgotten all about clubhouses. I did some background reading about Burnham House though and the Canadian explained a lot about Burnham House. The Mental Illness Fellowship explained that Burnham did have jobs and things like that but I am not really sure if it was window dressing.

I will keep Melanie in mind.

What's the clubhouse model in New South Wales, which will possibly be the focus of this study.

Isn't it funny: the two people who seem to know something about it come from Victoria and Queensland and we are both of a lower-middle-class background.

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
Hmm, mostly youth. It starts off there, but it can occur at any age.

2. What is your gender?
Female.

Middle-class to poor lol.

It's a psychiatric condition, which can occur by hereditary, especially when one encounters an event that deeply affects him/her - post-traumatic stress disorder or prolonged depression (More in Q6).

No - thankfully...

It can be via genetics i.e. hereditary, a chemical inbalance in the brain. I believe that it does pass down through the family...thus people with a family history of the condition are more likely to suffer when they encounter a trauma - post-traumatic stress disorder, and are likely to be depressed for a long period of time.

...that psychological and psychiatrical conditions are not be focussed on sufficiently, that the public have an incorrect assumption of those conditions. I believe it's preventable and treatable, and that we should not discriminate against those who suffer. We should do more.

Sympathy, pity, all that kind - tears, yes...as a Buddhist, I believe in pre-destiny, so those who suffer this condition had not "cleansed" themselves completely in a past life, even though they're the highest of the beings - being a human. They have not achieved the criteria for a healthy human life.

Can he write fantasy, novels, crime??? Can he write music? Is he mad? Would he kill me if I don't walk away? What is he thinking at that moment? What's on his mind? What has he been through? We should do more to help those like him.

Definitely not - people tend to avoid "mad" diseases, don't they? Even though they're not contagious...and the media often promotes it on T.V. shows etc, but insufficient support is given by the government and there is still discrimination against those who suffer this condition.

Education, education, education. This government should not make us have to pay for it. We should be educated at a young age - that diseases can be on the "mind" as well, i.e. psychological/psychiatrical, not just physical. We should learn about it along with sex education (even this is a bit wishy-washy lol), on the truth of it and how we should not discriminate or laugh about it. The media is half-helpful here, but it still holds the connotation that it's a "mad" disease, it's not. We all need to learn to be understanding and accepting, yet it's difficult to teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks =)

chellewilliams

HSC
1. Which age category would you be categorised in (youth, middle-aged, elderly). Youth

2. What is your gender? F

3. What would you say is your socio-economic status (affluent, middle-class, poor)? middle-class

4. What do you know about schizophrenia? mental disorder, involves multiple personalities, also hallucinations and hearing voices .. i'm not exactly sure though.

5. Do you know of anyone that suffers from schizophrenia? (can be hereditary or drug induced). No.

6. What do you think the cause of schizophrenia is? I thought it was a disease passed from parents to their offspring. Didnt know it could be drug-induced, but that makes sense. I also had the feeling it could develop in adulthood due to extreme stress or the like .. a kind of precursor to insanity.

7. What’s your initial thought when you see a youth suffering from schizophrenia in public or on the media? If i could recognise it, I'd be sorry to see them have to go through it.

8. Do you feel sympathy for youths who suffer from schizophrenia or plainly just blame them? I feel sympathy for their suffering, but if it has been induced by drug abuse, much less so.

9. Hypothetically speaking, if you saw a schizophrenic youth in public what would your initial reaction be? I'd feel bad for them, but i would most likely avoid them - I don't know the best way to treat people suffering from schizophrenia.

10. Do you think this illness has enough promotion when it comes to media and support from the government? When it comes to the media, absolutely not. Just look at how little awareness i have of it. I don't know enough about gov't initiatives to have a say about them.

ii. if answered no, can you suggest any ideas to promote this illness and make the public more aware of it. They had a tv epilepsy campaign. That wasn't a bad way to raise awareness. They also have those posters and things for MS, which are very effective.

w00dy.

HSC
youth

2. What is your gender?
female

middle-class

next to nothing i know that it is a form of mental disorders and that is possibly about it. i seem to know more about depression rather than any other form of mental disorders

no

drug abuse, genetic

i dont think i could ever possibly begin to imagine what they are going through. i only hope that they are recieving the right help.

sympathy. i dont see how you could blame someone for something that they cant exactly control

avoid eye contact

i dont believe so no.

i guess it is much the same as any other form of mental disorder. promote it in the sense that put it out there. let people know that these things do happen. what it is. the effects. the cause. the help.
its much like any mental disorder it is something i feel that we should be informed about so that society isnt exactly looking down and judging those who have such a condition.

Kulazzi

HSC
youth

2. What is your gender?

female

middle-class

people who imagine things and start to hallucinate

No

Not sure really,

Poor kid

sympathy

I would be a bit, not shocked, but more surprised - bewildered

Not lately...

through the mass media so it can get across to everyone easily, and maybe some mini-seminars about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)