Sydney Aquarium Glass broke? (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Heard it on the radio and thought i'd investigate...
1997 shark tank rupture sparks lawsuit:-

A 61-year-old Australian woman is now suing the Sydney Aquarium after a huge glass tank burst in 1997, spewing out sharks among terrified tourists.

Perth visitor Hazel Swinden said she was admiring the sea life in the tank. Seconds later, she was on her back, surrounded by sharks and fearing for her life, the Sydney Daily Telegraph reported.

The 61-year-old Swinden told the paper Monday that the 12,500-liter tank exploded as she stood in front of it, showering her with glass, saltwater and sharks.

I tried to get up because I knew there were sharks in the water, Mrs Swinden told the District Court. The water was up to my chest when I was sitting. I looked out to the side and I saw a big, black shape swim down the side of me. It went around my feet. It was a shark.

Swinden contends she now suffers flashbacks and post traumatic stress disorder, the newspaper said, and was forced to give up her job as a sales assistant because of leg injuries she received from shattered glass.

The aquarium is counter-suing the tank's manufacturer.
http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=102817&cat=World

Generator

HSC
N/A
A glass wound along the ankle, bloody water and a shark. Sounds like something that the whole family could enjoy :).

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sharks - Law suit - people dont even make the effort anymore.

Riewe

HSC
Was it in the news when it happened?

Because i would've thought that something like this would be a news story of some worth, because how many times have you been in an aquarium and thought "omg, i hope the glass doesn't break because those sharks will eat me!!!', but honestly, i cannot remember anything like that.

But it was about 8 years ago so maybe i wasn't paying as much attention to the happenings of the world back then.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
Why wait 8 years for? If it was so terrible she should have sued them back then, not that the Sydney Harbour Aquarium even has any man eating species of sharks :rolleyes: .

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Now I know that I wasn't just being neurotic when I used to think about the glass breaking in those tunnels where the shark swims over you....

Pretty scary stuff! Imagine though if there were kids, they could have been killed.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
thosde sharks are so over-fed and lazy. i could probably shove yuor arm in its mouth and the shark be to lazy to to to bite it.

the fat bitch wants money foir nothing.i wish i was there so i could swim with the sharks

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
i havent been to the Sydney Aquarium in a while, but i recall that some parts are entirely under the water and not just individual tanks, so if that part broke, all the people are buggered, no?

tattoodguy

id love that to hyapppen..as long as the sharks didnt get hurt etc..

id love to touch sharks and stufff, it would be coool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)