Sydney uni removing advanced maths prerequisites (1 Viewer)

Should they remove maths prerequisites?

• Yes

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters

oml

HSC
gl doing comp sci 💀
I mean I don’t really think I’ll stick to computer science, that was only because I couldn’t do commerce + law at usyd bc of the prereq. Plus ik advanced would def lower my atar since it’s my weakest subject + it consumes too much of my time and I want to focus on my major works next year lol

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Australia likes to boast about world-class universities. All those university ranking bodies like the Times Higher Education World University rankings that appear annually shouldn't be taken too seriously. To give a bonus point for a Band 3 in (the so-called - what a misnomer) Advance Maths is a joke; how low can you go(Chubby Checker)?

lolcti

HSC
N/A
I get why everyone is against this for like engo, comp science, and math degrees but I think it’s fair. Some people don’t have the opportunity to do math advanced as mentioned or are just not good at it. Like I know so many people here complain about English, vice verse for math like it’s just on this forum specifically most people will do 3 or 4 unit math, also it doesn’t really matter anyways cause the NSW government is implementing compulsory math so most people in the future will at least have background knowledge, so imo perfect timing. I’m pretty sure the website mentioned they’ll still retain some prereqs (for math dominated courses) so idk why everyone is so pressed. There’s so many capable people of getting into USYD but can’t cause of the prereqs, it’s going to make the uni even more competitive and give more opportunities so overall imo a good move.

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
Australia likes to boast about world-class universities. All those university ranking bodies like the Times Higher Education World University rankings that appear annually shouldn't be taken too seriously. To give a bonus point for a Band 3 in (the so-called - what a misnomer) Advance Maths is a joke; how low can you go(Chubby Checker)?
usyd and unsw should've never been top 20 imo like how is it ranked hihger tsinghua ???

sakinluvo

HSC
This gonna sound really dumb (I have no idea about uni entering stuff) but I don't think it really matters if they remove maths as a prerequisite. Pretty sure they're gonna let someone in a particular course such as maths or science if their HSC subjects relate to it (like their chances increases) as they have a much higher chance of getting in compared to someone who did not pick subject that relate.

I like to think that it helps with versatility as people who suck at maths won't pick something like 3U or 4U and suffer to get into a degree that requires it, good for mental health during these hard times!

Anyways, maths is compulsory from 2024 onwards so getting rid of the prerequisite kinda makes sense as people have to pick maths anyways

In summary, basically nothing will change as usyd courses prob pick the most suitable applicants for their courses and recommend subjects still exist.

(I have no idea what I yapped about 👍👍👍)

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
i just realised the only cohort to reap full benefits of this is '25 because '26 has mandatory math lol rip the no maths humanities gods

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)