Synthetic replacements for natural products (1 Viewer)

nesstar

I have an assignment on a couple of dot points relating to the replacement of natural products with synthetic alternatives. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good product to use??

mystify

HSC
A good example to use would be natural rubber obtained from natural rubber trees which has been replaced by synthetic rubber (Styrene-butadiene rubber a.k.a SBR). Reasons for its replacement include environmental damage as natural rubber trees are exploited and also prices for natural rubber have increased due to greater demand and increasing populations. Hope that helps... :eek:

nesstar

Hmm...that's quite a good one...

Someone else suggested sperm oil from sperm whales to me, so I started it...but I can't find anything on "synthetic" replacements...only on natural ones like jojoba oil...does anyone have ne ideas because I'll have to start again otherwise...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
There is also the one where nylon replaces wool and cotton in most clothing applications

wool has now become a luxury.

Capt'n Crunch

Yeah, im aslo doing an assignment on this topic, do you think soap can be classified as a natural product, with synthetic detergents being its replacement??

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
hey vanessa this is sharon ^^ yeah actually u know the syllabus says we need to identify why us HUMANS need to replace the natural resource for our own purposes. Basically Simpson said that the environment is not the concern in this section, but in fact OUR NEED for whatever product, eg rubber, cos we need more to make tyres, balloons etc. Meanwhile I am doing ivory and have absolutely no idea why we have such a great need for ivory in this day and age....yeah so everyone, plz enlighten me

A

abdo

replace the plants, i don't like them real ones.

edit: hey im confused, but my bnw/br essay is a direct attack on industrial chemistry... but who will win?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)