Taiwanese president shot (1 Viewer)

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
ahah it's not as simple as that
you could be progressive and move towards independence at the expense of very possible military conflict or have "closer ties" to china, whose citizens didn't even know about the attempted assassination cos the chinese media wasn't allowed to report it.

ahah okay i'm heaps biased it's not really like that, neither of those choices would be preferable. but yeh
btw china is mean and in the 96 election they freaking fired some missiles close to taiwan to threaten them and the US had to deploy some aircraft carriers cos we're allies. so yeh, the US doesn't really want anything to happen cos conflict with china isn't really on the top of their agenda at the mo
taiwan isn't recognised as a country, but it works and is dealt with like one. can you imagine a country that has ran its own affairs for this many years to be under the freaking rule of china? for fucks sake.
ok....

next time we talk im just going to agree with everything you say...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3502306.stm

Taiwan tries baseball diplomacy

On a chilly afternoon in northern Taipei, teams of baseball players from China and Taiwan limber up, preparing for a friendly match.

While political relations between Beijing and Taipei have been distinctly cool, if not downright hostile in recent months, it is a little surprising to find that exchanges like this are taking place at all.

China regards Taiwan as a breakaway province - to be reunited by force if necessary.

And Beijing has been angered by plans by President Chen to hold a Referendum on 20 March - the same day as the presidential elections - fearing it will mark a first step towards eventual independence.

But the Chinese baseball players say it was not difficult to get permission to visit Taiwan - even though the timing was so close to Taiwan's presidential elections.

The Tianjin Lions is one of the strongest of the four pro teams on the mainland. Its coach, Jiao Yi, said his team has been to Taiwan several times in the past to train.

Baseball in China is struggling to make its mark against more popular sports, such as basketball and football. A professional league was only established two years ago. And the Chinese authorities are aggressively promoting and investing in the sport - looking ahead to the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

By contrast, baseball was introduced to Taiwan around a century ago - and is the island's number one sport, even though it was tarnished a few years ago by a game fixing scandal.

Political

Taiwanese players are competing this year's Olympics in Athens - but under the team name "Chinese Taipei", as China insists Taiwan is not an independent country and lobbies international bodies against granting official recognition to the government in Taipei.

Politics is different. For us, sports is much more important
Jiao Yi
Tianjin Lions Coach

"Taiwan's teams are much better than in China, because they've had the professional teams for a long time and taken part in the Olympics", said Mr Jiao. "We came here so we can learn from them."

As the players practice on the field, a few streets away, vans blare out political campaign songs for the two candidates standing in Taiwan's presidential election on 20 March.

"I've heard people talk about the elections", admitted Mr Jiao. But he said his team were in Taiwan simply for the sport - and hesitated when he was asked if baseball exchanges could help ease tensions between China and Taiwan.

"Politics is different. For us, sports is much more important", he said.

"We only care about how to do our best. Tensions between the two sides doesn't really affect what we do. But I think not just the sports teams, but the two people want to get closer. If they can communicate with each other, it only benefits the two people. "

The Chinese players are visiting Taiwan for over a month for a series of friendly games. Chinese centre-fielder, Lo Yu-bin, says it is valuable training.

"In Taiwan, baseball training goes way back, many years. But it is new in China; many people still do not know what baseball is.

"We all know the teams in Taiwan are traditionally very good, and that puts psychological pressure on us", he said. "But we try to do our best and we know that its good training for us too."

Families

Watching the Tianjin Lions play against their opponents - a team from the Taiwan Cooperative Bank - is Alan Chou. His 19-year-old son is a pitcher for the Taiwanese side.

He nodded his approval and cheered as the two teams battled it out.

"It's very good", he said. "We're all Chinese. For example, my father came from mainland China. Its all the same, the same country. We all speak Chinese, right?"

That feeling was shared by Taiwanese former Olympic baseball player, Chiang Tai-Chuan. He is now working in China as a skills coach for the Tianjin Lions - one of several former Taiwanese players to move to the mainland.

"We should not think that the people of Taiwan and mainland China are enemies", he said. "In sports, and the people who play sports, they're just like families."

But what if the two sides were drawn together to compete in the 2008 Olympics, in Beijing. What side would he be rooting for?

"Both sides!" he said laughing. "I'll be cheering for both sides."

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i'm getting so sick of people copying and pasting articles, can't you just make your point

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i'm getting so sick of people copying and pasting articles, can't you just make your point
nah, i prefer remaining neutral. politics is beyond me, the casual observer passing by.

is a roflcopter
HSC
me and skunk are hardnut leftist megawow communists

i agree with edit 2: you dont try to pull a hit on a head of state level baddie unless you are sure that you can make him pick up the soap. wtf was that, 1 flesh wound and 1 in the leg. fucken stunties

^___^
HSC
"We're all Chinese. For example, my father came from mainland China. Its all the same, the same country. We all speak Chinese, right?"

see, not everyone in Taiwan wants independance, but also, not everyone wants to be with China..the tension between those 2 will take yrs to eased..

and like newbie, i am a bit of a leftie..cept iain't full hardcore like the tokyo shock boys

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
ahah yeh, this reminds me of this christian studies lessons we had at school where they told us about a guy who used to be a homosexual, but then 'saw the light' and is now sexing women instead. they used that example to demonstrate how homosexuality is a choice... do you see the problem with quoting one person and using that as an example to prove whatever?

although you're right, taiwan is very split on this issue as demonstrated by the close polls... but you will find that those in taiwan who's keen to be "reunited" with china, are old soldiers who still speak with a beijing accent or whatever, and has family in the mainland (why don't you just go back to your country if you want to be reunited so freaking much), or ahah that guy. his father comes from mainland china. who does he think he is? a freaking settler?

anyway, does someone want to explain why you want to be "reunited" with taiwan so much? do you 2nd generation australians from china feel a blood connection to us or something

is a roflcopter
HSC
theres no rational explanation
except to say that the chinese administration takes the taiwan issue personally since they were all old soldiers and remember what the kmt did during ww2

oh and taiwanese dramas are better than chinese ones

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
do you 2nd generation australians from china feel a blood connection to us or something
et tu quoque, do you, a 2nd generation australian from taiwan feel a blood feud to split from china or something? the argument works both ways toodz.

personally i feel the election is a bit dodge - a winning margin of 30000 with invalid votes ten times of that.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by Alexander
Did anyone see the news? He didn't notice he'd been shot and there was blood gushing out and he was waving and smiling...

I don't like Taiwan. They're a fascist dictatorship, all the schools are associated with the military and named after US presidents and they're TOTALLY desporate for the world to know that they exist.
I wouldn't be suprised at all if this was some sort of ploy for re-election and world attention.
I wish China would economically hurry up and offer a serious alternative to the US; im getting sick of this power vacuum.
Yeah, now were getting somewhere, Life's no fun when theres only one superpower in the world, we cant let Global Warming Bush get it all his way, But America's time will come when their economy would collipse and I'm hoping China takes over the no.1 position, not the EU. (Personal Bias)

Originally posted by hatty
why cant china just fuck off?
clearly the people of Taiwan dont want to combine with china...
its like Tibet happening all over again.

only alot more people are gonna die with the chinese conquest of Taiwan (with the 400 missiles and all) , but i guess that doesn't really matter 2 the chinese government, only getting their little land back.
Speak english bro, and go do some research ;) ps you cant conqure your own country and :rolleyes: Its was the Nationalist that started it in 1949(did I get the date right) anyways .

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
i dun understand da conceptz?
:D Life is too short to worry about everything, I only worry about stuff cause I could be involved;)

Alexander

Gold Member
Taiwan was created on a short stint in the world's political history. They'll grow up sooner or later...'it iss inevitablllllle'

Iunny

ahahahahhaahahhahahahaah thanks for that insight.. of course someone hired a gunman, how does an inanimate thing like a country shoot someone.
lol

What I meant was if China did it, I'm sure they would've hired a gunmen who would not miss

And if your reply was a joke, then i just made an ass out of myself lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)