Take the scholarship or not? (1 Viewer)

Capt Rifle

HSC
My dad always told me to make my university choices as though scholarships and stuff weren't there- if you end up picking the one with the scholarshop, then that's a bonus. Consider that $3000 seems a lot now. Over your whole career, it means shit all. DON'T make your decision now just for the money. Go wollongong if you want or USyd if you want but please DON'T make that decision purely because of the scholarship.

Just my two cents
Yeh but if his guaranteed a position within a company of some sort, then that is setting him up for the upcoming years, whereas going to usyd chances are you might not get that opportunity. But considering the op is a bright person, that may not be an issue.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I would go to USyd.

I would've gotten a scholarship at UWS and I was like "#yolo, USyd here I come!"

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've read go to USYD - there's not much monetary value from the scholarship in the long-run.

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
just wondering what atar you received to get that scholarship. i got 93.95 and got offered $3000 for my first year at wollongong only :/ guessing you got a bit higher.
my advice is to do the course which most appeals to you. i personally wouldn't go to a uni just because you prefer that uni

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I would go to wol. and take the scholarship.

sparedes1995

HSC
It's just that I have always aspired to go to Sydney Uni. I have already got accommondation there and the campus is amazing. Also, Sydney has an amazing reputation. Further, whilst wollongong is also good for engineering, sydney is much better for any of the degrees which i want to pair it with. It is also more recognised around the world. When do we find out about Sydney scholarships?
Which Sydney scholarships were you after?
Also, is the Wollongong course combined engineering (like your USYD preferred choices?)
Personally, on the basis of convenience and aspirations, I think you should take the Sydney degree - like what others said, down the track the wollongong scholarship is inconsequential; if you take Wollongong, you'll also need to consider living expenses and accommodation costs --> will THIS be covered by the scholarship?
Also, who's to say you won't pick up any scholarships at Usyd during your degree?

If you really want Usyd (like me), then you should take it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)