Teaching Extension 1 (1 Viewer)

Vigar

HSC
Hi all,

I'm a recent teaching graduate who's going to teach Extension 1 next year. What I'm looking for is some really good ideas for lessons. I really want my students to both do well and have some fun.

I've just worked through the last 10 years of HSC papers so I'm trying to develop understanding rather than just telling students to do all the textbook problems (Which would help to). I figured that the people doing the subject and those that have just completed it would be the best people to ask.

Would science style experiments for topics such as applications of calculus help?

Many thanks
Josh

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Hi all,

I'm a recent teaching graduate who's going to teach Extension 1 next year. What I'm looking for is some really good ideas for lessons. I really want my students to both do well and have some fun.

I've just worked through the last 10 years of HSC papers so I'm trying to develop understanding rather than just telling students to do all the textbook problems (Which would help to). I figured that the people doing the subject and those that have just completed it would be the best people to ask.

Would science style experiments for topics such as applications of calculus help?

Many thanks
Josh
Firstly, welcome to BOS. I think that visual demonstrations of applications of calculus (ie. projectile motion, SHM) would be very useful. Even if it is just to help explain the different points within the motion e.g. At max hieght, y'=0. Range=2 x time to reach max hieght and how the vertical and horizontal motion is superimposed upon eachother. These kind of demonstrations improve understand and are something out of the ordinary, hence fun.

I think within the Mathematics and Mathematics Ext 1 course though, there are not many other examples where visual exprimentation/demonstation could be useful. Not many other topics require a mental visualistion when completing Q.

There is alot of powerpoint presentations in the resource section of BOS. These include: Circle Geometry, Mathematical Induction (particularly the process of Stong induction) and polynomials to name a few. I think these are great for students. I tutored a student this year at MX1 and gave all these to my student.

If you could get your hands on a digital projector and faculty has a laptop, i think graphing programs such as graphamatica could help kids with an understand of functions.

Sorry if that's not great help, there are PLENTY of others on here that will be able to address your problem better.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

There this really good math teacher at our school who is both popular and is an extremely good teacher.

Some points you may want to note about this teacher,

- He covers the math syllabus extensively and gives hard examples. ie. He has his own massive book of notes covering every aspect of the course, which he writes up, covering every topic with examples.

- He never takes shortcuts when doing problems. Some teachers skip the "easy part", which in a test could cost you marks. He doesn't do this. (eg. In general solutions he always writes "where n is any integer", and takes a mark off in a test if you don't write it, whereas other lazy teachers do not write it.) He sets his working out in a very logical and 'neat' manner, whereas some teachers are all over the place.

- He sets relatively hard problems in tests, unlike some teachers who set easy textbook questions.

- He does solutions (which are very well structured and neatly written up) for practically every test. Some teachers are lazy and do not do this, or their solutions use long methods. This teacher has all sorts of tricks up his sleeve.

- If students ask him questions, he answers it thoroughly and takes priority in answering any problems students had with the set homework. Some teachers don't think that answering questions is important, when it actually is and discourage students by asking them to "see them later" or "ask them if they have time after they've covered the theory for this lesson", which is not ideal. This teacher would spend the first bit of the lesson answering questions, if neccessary, as opposed to the examples illustrated before, where teachers are just keen to move on with the theory for their prepared lesson.

- Obviously he has a passion for the subject. He teaches Ext 1 and Ext 2 every year.

- As for the being popular part, he literally doesn't care if the guys talk, unless if it gets too excessive (ie. he usually speaks over people talking, who usually copy down the work while talking etc). If it does get excessive, he puts their name on the board and then asks trivia (eg. What is the capital city of Rome, or who won the English Premier League in 2001, or what is the collection known for a group of owls). He knows all this stuff at the top of his head, which makes it more fun.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In my opinion, derivation of the formulae is essential for enhancing understanding because it makes them more believable and therefore more memorable. Even though it is not assessable, it is actually an intention of syllabus (yes, it actually asks teachers to derive the formulae).
Essentially everything we deal with in maths are idealised models and it's important to understand where they come from, where they work and where they fail.

jet

Banned
HSC
In my opinion, derivation of the formulae is essential for enhancing understanding because it makes them more believable and therefore more memorable. Even though it is not assessable, it is actually an intention of syllabus (yes, it actually asks teachers to derive the formulae).
Essentially everything we deal with in maths are idealised models and it's important to understand where they come from, where they work and where they fail.
This especially.

It's Extension 1, not general/2u, so we like to know where things come from. Talk about applications of the problems etc because I can guarantee you will get at least one student saying "Why do we need this?".

Also, going through proofs of formulae is helpful in developing their skills for questions 6&7 in 3u (and ~q5-8 in 4u), as they can see the logical nature of proofs and the ways of thinking required.

If you know the game-show Jeopardy, we played Maths Jeopardy perhaps once a term. There was a 2u category, a 3u category, a 4u category and a Wild card category (with generally difficult trivia no related to maths). Students are split into groups of 4. Each round you go around the groups and someone picks a point value, then everybody does the question. If the group who chose that question gets it wrong, then the first group to answer gets the points and it goes from there. Also, each round, one person from a group must pick a wild card. You choose a different group each round so all groups have to do a wild card.
It was really fun, and gave a healthy competitive spirit to the classroom.

If I can think of other things, I will post them. I think it's really good that you are going to the students and trying to develop their interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)