teaching or accounting!?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Another thing you all need to know is that once you are in the school you might have to teach outside the subject/s for which you are qualified which means additional study while teaching just to keep a page or two ahead of the students e.g. I am not qualified to teach anything but History (having started as a Primary teacher) but regularly have to teach Geography and even Commerce on occasions.

BeDifferent

HSC
Yeah, but you need to be "approved" first by the DET. Most of the time, your first teaching job is the one that you're "approved to teach. But once you're in the school you may teach whichever subjects your school needs you to teach.

philphie

Banned
HSC
teaching seems to be much more rewarding and a better life experience, that's all i can say for it. i don't know with accounting... i've just lost all my faith in accountants, financiers and bankers, i just think you guys are tools now...

philphie

Banned
HSC
My dad is a fifty-two-year-old accountant and he runs his own business with another male friend (BTW my dad's not gay if it sounds like that..). He makes about $40,000 gross a year. After tax one could say he sees about $25000 of it.

Accounting is good for people who like maths, according to my dad (he did 4U back in the day and got good marks, too!)... but I would NOT do it unless you are prepared to sit through meeting after meeting discussing whether or not taxable deductions are valid or not, seriously. That is the main part of my dad's job - apart from just working with taxation, he has to discern with his business partner and employees (one being his GF, Lizz) whether or not people have made up certain deductions.

You would be surprised just how many people try to get away with FAKE deductions! And when Dad inevitably tells them "we caught ya" they often get embarrassed and find another accounting firm...

It's up to you; I wouldn't account for shit myself, but now if I be a bit more serious: it's a rewarding career. Dad's a CPA... he did a B Bus (Bachelor of Business) at UTS and then did a CPA program through Macquarie and UWS. You can also become a CPA with a degree in Taxation (B Tax @ UNSW), a B Comm or a B Eco.

The TAFE option is available... but it means you won't be a Chartered Account or a Certified Practising Accountant... which limits your 'reliability, so to speak' and your 'trustworthiness'. It's your choice. :)
what kind of business it it? no offense, but that sounds like a pretty bad yearly income. how much would he be making if he stuck with the banks or a firm?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)