Teaching yourself mathematics (1 Viewer)

omnipotent

HSC
Sup peoples
I didn't do maths in year 11 because i wasn't interested and i saw the amount of work it requires. Now i'm reconsidering doing engineering and that would require mathematics and probably 3u too.
I know there are bridging courses, but I'd probably be able to do the entire 2u course between now and when uni starts on my own.

Has anyone else attempted to do this? If so what methods did you find helpful and what textbooks have the best method of explaining the theory?

HSC
Uni Grad
Use Maths Online to learn the concepts and work through textbooks at the same time. You should use Cambridge and Fitzpatrick (New Senior Maths) for textbooks.

hscishard

HSC
Sup peoples
I didn't do maths in year 11 because i wasn't interested and i saw the amount of work it requires. Now i'm reconsidering doing engineering and that would require mathematics and probably 3u too.
I know there are bridging courses, but I'd probably be able to do the entire 2u course between now and when uni starts on my own.

Has anyone else attempted to do this? If so what methods did you find helpful and what textbooks have the best method of explaining the theory?
Personally having both Camrbridge and Fitz, I find Cambridge explains the theory better. Maybe its the layout? Fitz is legible but soo illegible.

gsd

HSC
Maths in Focus is (too) easy but the questions might be a good starting point if you have trouble grasping a particular topic.
Other than that, Cambridge and Fitzpatrick are good as the others said - For whatever reason I found myself primarily using Fitzpatrick when I taught myself though.

Klutsov

HSC
Use Maths Online to learn the concepts and work through textbooks at the same time. You should use Cambridge and Fitzpatrick (New Senior Maths) for textbooks.
+1

Maths in Focus is also a good starting point

2u isnt really hard to self teach, but 3u is a bit more difficult

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
mathmematics and mx1 is really easy to learn from a text book by yourself - at least for me it was. try it, and if you're having trouble, hire a tutor.

with textbooks, i liked the study guide by jeff geha as well as terry lee's book

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)