Techniques in Shaun Tan's "lost Thing" (1 Viewer)

seanstakes

HSC
I am doing this book as one of my related material, for the essay, I know of the Lost Thing being Alienated at the Beach, and how it comes to belong with the Character in the book, but eventually he finds his real home, which is where he actually belongs

Repetition of the Arrow, shows they are not going the right way, because the arrows are always pointing the opposite to the character, until they go to that building with no windows.

thats all i can recall off, i don't have the picture book on hand, so i can't look in detail much, so can somebody find some other techniques then just those two?

Last edited:

lolliepop2

HSC
  • deep red rusty colours emphasise the industrialised environment
  • the lost thing is large but everyone ignores it due to society's indifference. In other words you have to conform to belong to such a society
  • satire - various stamps around with slogans such as "sweepus underum carpate" meaning to ignore it. Again highlights society's obsession with organisation and conformity.
  • simplistic language so readers focus on the images rather than the text.
  • old math and pgysics papers are collaged to form the background reinforcing the artificial and organised wold.
thats all i could think of on the top of my head. I know its kind of late but hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)