Techniques? (1 Viewer)

luiz127

Premium Member
HSC
I'm currently writing an essay on how my concept of belonging has been enhanced by my study of my texts.

I'm doing Romulus, my Father, and i was wondering which techniques Gaita utilises in this quote:

"Control your wife. She is stealing our husbands."

Techniques always stump me, and this one is no exception. lol:p

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Short sentences? =\

It depends on what effect you want. Like, the use of a particular techniques creates which effect that enhances your understanding of belonging?

jiratic

HSC
Active Verb/imperative 'control' 2nd person pronoun 'she', inclusive 'our', active verb 'stealing', alliteration S, and S
truncated sentence structure.
I don't really think its synecdoche, the part doesn't really represent the whole here.
7 techniques in one minute i found, i'm sure i could find more given time.
Maybe you should just google a list of techniques, ( i have a common 6 page list of techniques for prose/poetic/literary mediums if you want, PM me), and then practise finding them?

luiz127

Premium Member
HSC
hmmm interesting quote - i would say synecdoche, as she is not literally stealing the husbands - but their attention right?

she's sleeping with them, so it is theft of one kind

EDIT: Here's the context of the quote:

News of her infidelities travelled to Cairn Curran. More than once my father was told, "Control your wife, she is stealing our husbands."

Last edited:

jiratic

HSC
in a prepared essay yea, i'd only use imperative verb.
but if it were an unseen text like Paper 1 part 1, then its very important to be able to find a lot of techniques quickly, since the final question of part 1 the, 5/6 marker needs 10-12 techniques if you want full marks. its good to practice grabbing an unseen text /movie segment/ comic/ prose /poem and just grabbing as many techniques as you can.

luiz127

Premium Member
HSC
how would i practice that? because, admittedly, i suck at pulling techniques from a text

jiratic

HSC
what sikhman said works well.
also print out a list of techniques, and run over them as you read a text, and revise the list a few times over a few weeks.
remember for paper 1, not all techniques have to be sophisticated, and if you only see aliteration or something, then use it.

luiz127

Premium Member
HSC
cool, i'll ask my english teacher for some past questions, thanks for the help

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)