Techniques (1 Viewer)

Logix

Do we absolutely need to get examples of our techniques in our essays or can we just list the techniques without examples?

chardie2

You should use techniques to back up your argument! Then by having an example this will give further proof of your point.

for example:

Coleridge is able to transport his readers on the imaginative journey by actively engaging them through the use of first person narrative and the conversational tone, “Well, they are gone, and here I must remain.” This first line is an example of the colloquial language of the conversation poem, commencing with “well” and the first person address through “here I must”. The punctuation is used by the poet to express feelings such as frustration “this lime tree bower my prison!”

Hope that helps! The answer is yes you need examples.

Logix

yes thank you very much.

how long is ur coleridge essay? right now mine is about 1500 words, and i can write that out in about an hr. I'm not sure whether i should cut it down to 1200 words so I can write it in 40 min, and go overtime on the essay question and cut short my other questions by 10 min. each

wat do u think?

chardie2

Luckily you bought up that point mine is about 3000 words long. This means that I need to shorten it by about half that.

I would suggest making it as succinct as possible it is less to remember and then you will have time to proof read.

Hope that helps.

Charde.

Logix

lol, really?

i was just gonna say that the snippet that u posted up is very succint :) the thing is I cant find 300 words to cut out!!! everything seems so important

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
logix i know the feeling, i need to cut about 300 words from all my essays and i HATE it! grrrr

Logix

haha, dont worry, ur not alone. I think alot of ppl r in the same situation. I think the best thing to do is to get some1 else to look at it for u and reduce it, because something u think is very good could be irrelevant and something u cut out could be very relevant :)

Logix

wat do u think is betta to do?

write more themes and issues but limit it to a very brief discussion?

or

write 2 or 3 issues, however a substantial discussion with many examples to back up ur argument?

in other words, cut out the examples and techniques or cut out 1 or 2 issues?

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Logix said:
wat do u think is betta to do?

write more themes and issues but limit it to a very brief discussion?

or

write 2 or 3 issues, however a substantial discussion with many examples to back up ur argument?

in other words, cut out the examples and techniques or cut out 1 or 2 issues?
the latter - cut out issues.

Examples and techniques are the butter for the bread (or was that the bread for the butter!). You are being assessed not only on what the author is saying but HOW he is saying it. By skipping examples and techniques you're skipping out 50% of your potential mark...

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
you need an even balance, but to talk about themes and issues without any evidence to back it up is useless, so try and cut out the woffle and include the meaty and substantial material which includes techniques/examples

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
speaking of waffle, this is how you cut it out.

print out your essay. read it aloud. after every sentence, ask yourself:
What am I really saying (underneath all the english jargon)?
Does this answer the question?

If your answer to the first is 'I'm not sure' and the second 'No', then either remove or edit that sentence. Do this enough and you'll get good at doing it on the fly while writing essays.

Logix

but it all seems so important :( i dont wanna cut any of it out

anyways, how long r ur area of study essays? and how long r u planning to write it out? for me, im planning 50 min for the essay, then 35 each for the creative writing and short answer questions

Logix

on the subject of techniques, could some1 be kind enough to name the effects on journey of different techniques to be used in part 1 of the area of study paper, the short answers question. Some of them, I know the effect but it is hard to write on paper what it is. Some techniques that are in doubt are:

1) metaphors
2) similes
3) descriptive or evocative language
4) tense
5) 1st/2nd/3rd person narrative
6) anectodes
7) punctuation such as commas, full stops
8) symbolism/imagery
9) rhythm
10) repetition
11) use of dialogue
12) allusions

How do these techniques convey journey?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)