Teenage Flag Burner Visits Kokoda (1 Viewer)

TwoNiner

HSC
lara.alfan said:
its nt cuz he burned the australian falg its cuz hes lebanese
Uh no. It's because he burned the Australian flag.

You got any more cards left in that race pack of 52 that you'd like to play?

Talitha31

HSC
Apologies if this has already been asked, but IS it illegal to burn the
Australian flag?
Stealing, burning on a Total Fire Ban day, endangering others during the burning, would be offences. Making the act illegal would surely be a violation of free speech, no?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I don't think it is illegal. (not sure on this). That kid was charged for stealing something that belongs to the RSL club rather than flag-burning.

In most countries, you're not allowed to do it to THEIR flag but there are fewer countries that have extended this to all national flags.

That's a good debate topic you've brought up there Talitha31- should flag burning be declared illegal?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I think Kokoda should replace Gallipoli as the place where Australian identity was truely given expression. It was the first time we were actually defending our homeland and we won. It also represents engagement with our region on our own terms. The fuzzys provide further expression to a multicultural, tolerant society.
All this Gallipoli stuff is colonial rubbish.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Iron said:
I think Kokoda should replace Gallipoli as the place where Australian identity was truely given expression. It was the first time we were actually defending our homeland and we won. It also represents engagement with our region on our own terms. The fuzzys provide further expression to a multicultural, tolerant society.
That's a good point there Iron. I see what you mean.

I do agree that Kokoda is somewhat more historically significant for the following reasons:
1. Australia was fighting a war that was dangerously close.
2. Australia was defending itself rather than England.
3. More Australians were killed in Kokada than in Gallipoli. (I'm not 100% sure on this so I'll have to check this up)

There are some who argue that Gallipoli is more important because it was our very first major war and it was the thing that kept us binded together especially in the historical context where Australia was a new country.

spiny norman

HSC
Iron said:
But ANZAC Day is also our day to honour our relationship with New Zealand, our closest ally. The fact that we've altered the meaning of ANZAC Day purely to represent our own nationalism is an insult to the New Zealanders, who still celebrate the day as signifying their unity with Australia,as well as honouring those who fought, is an insult to them and also a worrying sign of our own increasing insularity, I believe. I went to four ceremonies this year, and only two of them made any mention of New Zealand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)