• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Template for a proposal (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I'm contending with my proposal at the moment...:( driving me nuts...
I think it's a bit to 'philosophical' as my english teacher puts it...

I'm looking at female characters in Shakepseare's tragidies and the recreation of these in modern film

it starts out talking about the writing of shakespeare - how good his works were etc, then how its been recreted... ummm then general comments about females in shakespeare society...

Then after about 3 small paragraphs it adresses the major work... i think it could be a bit too much intro?

is the proposal meant to be first person?? does it detract from the sophistication???
Thanks

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
MissSavage29, you seem like you're heading on the right track. My first draft was very 'vague' according to my teacher, so I ended up completing changing in and writing in detail what I was researching, which happend to be what my teachers wanted.

Specifically, you need to discuss what is so significant about Shakespeare/females/tragedies, and you need to tell the marker why you're doing what you're doing. Also, include authors of essays/books/websites that you have found particularly helpful. I didn't think we had to do this, but I was told to, so I did.

I know everyone says to babble, but don't. The teachers know that you're bull-shitting, and you won't get any marks. Well the girls/guys didn't at my school.

I hope that makes sense. Oh, and yes you're supposed to write using "I". You can actually write a quite sophisticated piece of writing using "I".

If I think about anything else I will let you know. I'm class of 2004, so I'm in the same boat as you, but I did really well on my proposal, so anything I included specifically is pretty much what I wrote above.

You're idea sounds excellent though.

meisme

Im doing mine on the interplay of truth and lies within political media pretty much focused around propaganda posters and speeches and such.... i picked it because it gave me an opportunity to combine history as well with the social and cultural contexts of my texts...and yeah also cos i think the posters look cool!

i'm writing my proposal as we speak and i'm getting bogged down....its due tommorrow....oh dear!......
Has anyone picked anything similar to me? probly not eh!
i guess i want to write it as i would a history or legal essay but i keep slapping myself on the wristand saying 'no! its english!!'
i think im focussing too much on the historical aspect rather than the techniques and stuff....anybody got a lifeline?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
um, have you made sure to note how it relates to your studies in english, either prelim or hsc? i guess you could use frontline if you've already done it... telling the truth & stuff..

meisme

we're not doing frontline but the concept of propaganda links nicely with powerplay & 1984 (HSC) and authority and control (prelim)
i guess what i was rambling bout b4 is how much of my critical analysis need focus specifically around the techniques as opposed to the theory of propaganda

i think i already know the answer, but techniques just bore me!!!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
grk_styl thanks for the help the report is finally finished :)

only a powerpoint presentation and a speech to finish it off which are nearly complete...

meisme

Yep i was the one whingeing that i had no clue before, still not so sure about that one! but if anyone wants to take a squiz at my proposal feel free, but you have to tell me what you think!
Ta!

cheeky_panda

HSC
hi meisme there is someone at our school doin something very similar to your idea. She loves history and english too. Your proposal is quite good what did u get for it?

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
I absolutely agree with Grk_Styl's adivce. Its only 1000 words (more or less), do NOT bull shit. Speaking for myself, I didnt get enough words to 'bullshit', I just wrote what I was supposed to write and I was over the limit.

And as for using 'I' in the proposal, definately. I used the word I, I went fine. And the proposal was fairly sophisticated, imho. eheh

and I agree, your idea seems quite good. I wish my one was as decent. :(

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
and meisme? nice work.

Just edit it, read it out loud and pause whenever you see a comma etc, see if it sounds right.

As long as you have covered everything the teacher has told you to cover, you should get full marks (i think, i only skim read it :) )

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
The art of getting fantastic results is to right EXACTLY what the teachers want. I gave my proposal to my female teacher and she completely tore it apart and told me what to include. I did exactly what she said and got 47/50. So, for your internal marks, and for your hsc exam write what the markers want to hear (or read).

aud

HSC
How come everyone's proposal is like 10 or 5%??? I stressed out so much, my proposal was a huge 30%~! 15% on a written statement of intent, 15% on a speech... I screwed up the speech and my written part wasn't that great either... so ended up with 20/30... grr...

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
15%???? No way!!!! How much are your others worth? Can you post what all your EE2 assessment tasks are worth?

I feel so sorry for you. Mine was worth 10% - and usually they are worth around 5 or 10.

aud

HSC
I know... my school's strange like that... but Eng Ext 1 adds up to 100% as well... oh well... I wish that Maths Ext 1 and 2 only added up to 50%, but no, they exclude us from 2U and bump them both up to 100%... grr...

mayhemily

HSC
Originally posted by grk_styl
that's really harsh. It's only a 1 unit subject, which means the weightings should add up to 50 and not 100.

Ours are:
Proposal - 10%
Viva Voce - 20%
Report - 20%
Same. But our 10% out of 50 is the same as 20% out of 100 when it all comes down to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)