Tennis - G.O.A.T - Federer vs Laver (1 Viewer)

acemusic415

HSC
Roger Federer no doubt as the greatest. I think there is little room for dispute there, though some discussion is interesting. I think Djokovic may prove to becoming one of the best - if he is able to replicate his career statistics. He had an unparalleled year last season, winning the greatest majority of the ATP Masters 1000 Series. For those he did lose, I personally think he was just lethargic and weary from all the tournament he had to participate in conjunction with that massive winning streak he had to maintain, before losing it to Federer. By the looks of it, Djokovic may be able and looks well enough to obtain a Calendar Grand Slam and so far as, a Golden Slam (including the Olympic Gold Medal).

In acknowledging all that, Federer's achievements are unparalleled and the mere fact that he still poses a threat to those in their peak (Murray, Nadal and Djokovic) is a testament to his legacy and ability. If you examine his timeline in the majors in recent years following his peak, the worst result is the Quarter Finals. That's pretty damn good for a 30 year old whose peak has gone by. Just saying.

As with Nadal, despite my neutral thoughts on him (I don't hate or like him), he is arguably the greatest clay-court player. I have a feeling that Nadal will not lose another consecutive win at the French or even Monte-Carlo to Djokovic. Popular opinion obviously says Djokovic, but there may be chance that he won't even graze Nadal. That said, if Djokovic knocks out Nadal in the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters Finals, Federer can rise to #2 and take Nadal's position!

HSC
Uni Grad
lol tennis. fun to watch but not for 5 hours straight. 1 hour max
Hewitt vs Bagdatis Australian Open (few years back) was AWESOME.

Lol, it's only boring if I don't go for any of the two players on :D But then again, the only matches I watch fully nowadays are with Federer which goes by so fast and smoothly (except when he verses Nadal ==)

Players like Djokovic and Nadal take wayy too long in between serves which causes matches to last long.

While, players like Federer and Murray are quite quicker in comparison.
I remember in a match, the commentators said they took too long and that it was over the maximum time...

As for who I go for, it will always be Federer :wavey:

Marc26

HSC
If you play tennis, and love it as much as me, then you will understand and be able to comprehend how intense today's game really is.
Not to mention how hard it is to hit the shots that the pros are hitting. Some people say, "oh yeah, tennis, how boring", but in reality they don't see the beauty in the game and the skill involved to play it.
You can still win matches if you are a great returner or server, but if there's at least one aspect of your game that can be broken down, then that can be the difference in the match.
This is what sets it apart from other sports and one of the reasons I love the game.

Back on topic. Djokovic may be on top, but he hasn't hit crazy shorts like Federer or Nadal.
These two individuals are outstanding, and if you get the chance to watch one of their games, they are truly amazing.
Even when they aren't playing each other, I think Federer is the best player of all time just because he is the most well rounded player.
I like Nadal too, don't get me wrong, his game is so good offensively and defensively, but the sheer mentality of never giving up and running down every ball makes him highly respectable.

boris

Banned
HSC
Federer greatest of all time? He isn't even the greatest of his generation, he struggles to beat Djokovic and Nadal.

But he is my favourite player, watching him play is amahzing.
Lol what are you talking about Federer is 5 years older than Nadal and 6 years older than Djokovic. His record against Djokovich is 14-10 and 10-18 against Nadal but on grass/indoor hard court his record is 6-1 ie he is just *really* shit on clay (so shit). 285 weeks as #1 (237 consecutive 2004-2008).

As it stands, his record is better than the other 2. His form of late has not been as good as them but that is irrelevant when you are looking at entire career performance.

He may well be overtaken by both of them, in terms of greatness, and i predict that he will. But that is also irrelevant because it wont happen for another 5 years.

boris

Banned
HSC
But yes he shouldn't be #1 if he cant win a fucking game on clay lol. #3 at best. Best grass/hardcourt player ever.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
But yes he shouldn't be #1 if he cant win a fucking game on clay lol. #3 at best. Best grass/hardcourt player ever.
Well, he managed to pull off FO 2009.

:/

All thanks to Mr Soderling.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
I'd say that Federer is the GOAT for ages to come. His elegant playing style will allow him to play for a longer time, compared to players like Nadal whose playing style revolves around heavy topspin which is a strain on the body - compare the injuries, Federer does not have many whilst Nadal has tribulations even now with his knee. Also, you have to remember that the top 4, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic are close to their peak ages - Nadal in 2010, Djokovic in 2011 - and for Federer in his 30's to still take sets of them is commendable. All Federer needs now is the Olympics singles gold medal and this year looks to be a good opportunity as it takes place on grasscourts.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd say that Federer is the GOAT for ages to come. His elegant playing style will allow him to play for a longer time, compared to players like Nadal whose playing style revolves around heavy topspin which is a strain on the body - compare the injuries, Federer does not have many whilst Nadal has tribulations even now with his knee. Also, you have to remember that the top 4, Murray, Nadal, Djokovic are close to their peak ages - Nadal in 2010, Djokovic in 2011 - and for Federer in his 30's to still take sets of them is commendable. All Federer needs now is the Olympics singles gold medal and this year looks to be a good opportunity as it takes place on grasscourts.
Federer isn't what he used to be on grasscourts. His worst performance last year was at Wimbledon as well.

He is more capable on hardcourts nowadays.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
Federer isn't what he used to be on grasscourts. His worst performance last year was at Wimbledon as well.

He is more capable on hardcourts nowadays.
With Federer, you'll never know. It's a pity how he had lost that match to Tsonga leading 2 sets and also in the US open having 2 match points to Djokovic. Seems as if he is lacking intensity late in his matches.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
With Federer, you'll never know. It's a pity how he had lost that match to Tsonga leading 2 sets and also in the US open having 2 match points to Djokovic. Seems as if he is lacking intensity late in his matches.
I think this year, he has performed with much more intensity than last year. I hope he has 1 more slam within him.

So who are everyone's favourites for FO?
My favourites for FO this year are:
- Big 4 - Federer/Murray
- Dark Horse - Del Potro

acemusic415

HSC
I think this year, he has performed with much more intensity than last year. I hope he has 1 more slam within him.

So who are everyone's favourites for FO?
My favourites for FO this year are:
- Big 4 - Federer/Murray
- Dark Horse - Del Potro
Pretty much - Big 4. To be honest, I love Federer, but I just see Djokovic replicating his unparalleled success again this year.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
I anticipate Djokovic and Nadal to be facing each other in the finals of Monte Carlo aka Nadal's 2nd fortress - providing Nadal beats the lesser known Simon and Djokovic beats in-form Berdych who he has a H2H of 8-1. If Djokovic wins the title... and continues a successful clay-court season... French Open is anyone's guess...

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I anticipate Djokovic and Nadal to be facing each other in the finals of Monte Carlo aka Nadal's 2nd fortress - providing Nadal beats the lesser known Simon and Djokovic beats in-form Berdych who he has a H2H of 8-1. If Djokovic wins the title... and continues a successful clay-court season... French Open is anyone's guess...
I actually hoped Wawrinka would have a chance against Nadal for yesterday's match.

It was a close one.

thekooldude

HSC
Federer is a great player.! :)
Yeah, i think there is a cycle ......
well, Federer beats Djokovic,
Djokovic beats Nadal,
Nadal beats Federer,

and the cycle continues, though its a bit dodgy at times..

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Federer is a great player.! :)
Yeah, i think there is a cycle ......
well, Federer beats Djokovic,
Djokovic beats Nadal,
Nadal beats Federer,

and the cycle continues, though its a bit dodgy at times..
He's the G.O.A.T for now so yeah... :/

He's not 'just' great. He's the greatest.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
This is a bit biased though, isn't it?
If you asked who are the top 3 men's players of all time, people will just be like: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. Most people don't even know anyone else besides these 3 players. =/ It's a bit annoying actually.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
djokovic could possibly not be at his best due to the emotional downer of his grandfather passing away yesterday

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
djokovic could possibly not be at his best due to the emotional downer of his grandfather passing away yesterday
inb4 Nadal gets troll'd by Djokovic and still loses.

This is a bit biased though, isn't it?
If you asked who are the top 3 men's players of all time, people will just be like: Federer, Nadal, Djokovic. Most people don't even know anyone else besides these 3 players. =/ It's a bit annoying actually.
How can people not know Sampras or Agassi? Like seriously. People in Australia should also know Hewitt as well.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
How can people not know Sampras or Agassi? Like seriously. People in Australia should also know Hewitt as well.
Yeah, but 1990s~ is like their limit and then they don't really know anybody else. So it's sorta pointless asking people on this forum who's better when they don't really know many other players.

Marc26

HSC
Just out of curiosity, those people who go to top selective schools, do you guys have tennis competitions and if so under what district and/or association do you play for.
My school is goes from a small assoc. --> AICES --> CIS --> NSW All Schools and so forth. I'm interested in how good the competition in NSW and the rest of Aus is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)