Terry Lee / Cambridge / Fitzpatrick / Patel - which one's the best? (1 Viewer)

pacman14

HSC
I need to get myself a decent textbook for yr 12 and I was wondering which one of these textbooks is better - or perhaps a combination of 2. What do you guys think?

K4M1N3

HSC
Well individually they each have their own perks. I have used the Terry Lee and Cambridge all year, and they have been pretty good.

interesting

HSC
N/A
review on patel please! i've never seen it before :S

Alkanes

HSC
All books you've mentioned are good. But personally Terry Lee is good because it has work solutions and it's colourful in nature. Fitzpatrick quite old but still useful.

artosis

HSC
ive got all 4 (school gave fitz and cambridge, bought terry lee, and friend gave me patel)
honestly, cambridge and terry lee is all ull need.
fitzy is a bit out dated. nonetheless, the questions arent bad if ur looking for more stuff to do

interesting

HSC
N/A
ive got all 4 (school gave fitz and cambridge, bought terry lee, and friend gave me patel)
honestly, cambridge and terry lee is all ull need.
fitzy is a bit out dated. nonetheless, the questions arent bad if ur looking for more stuff to do
review of patel please!

salih08

HSC
Cambridge = to the point, best for learning the basics of the concepts, but not much exam style harder questions...

HSC
Uni Grad
if you want to try and learn concepts, I reckon you're better off having a tutor teaching you the concepts as opposed to relying on the textbooks (textbooks aren't that great in the teaching of 4U)

nevertheless, I liked using terry lee for graphs, complex numbers, integration, volumes and harder 3U, but cambridge was better for mechanics... and polynomials... not much to say out of there..

OldMathsGuy

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
review of patel please!
Patel like Coroneos before it is a solid 4U book with the revised edition providing proper coverage of the Ext 2 course. There is a good range of questions that provide a good foundation and treatment of the course.
It's not going to give you much different from some of the others - a combination of Lee and Cambridge and past papers seems to suit most students. To be honest though, I don't think any of the textbooks are absolutely fantastic - the perfect 4U book is still to be written. I prefer the set of Komaromi books for Conics and Graphing but they are long out of print.

Funnily enough perhaps the best "Ext 2" book is the Y11/12 Cambridge Extension 1 books. The extension questions from those books will open your eyes to what is expected of Ext 2 students AND help you develop those traits - even though it only covers a sprinkling of specific 4u topics.

Nothing beats past papers under exam conditions though.

Best Regards
OldMathsGuy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)