text books... which ones to get? (1 Viewer)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
hey i have to enrol tomorrow but im just looking at the text book lists and for each of my subjects there are several books which are recommended... how can i decide on which ones to get? or should i just leave them until lectures start?

i just dont wana have to wait for the co-op to re-order in another heap of books, im trying to be slightly prepared! :)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
do they tell u what books to but in the first lecture? and do you have to wait ages to get ur books if u dont get them on enrollment?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MaryJane
do they tell u what books to but in the first lecture? and do you have to wait ages to get ur books if u dont get them on enrollment?
They will tell you in the first lecture, although the lines will be horrendusly long to purchase your textbooks. But the lecturers don't assume you'll have your books till second week anyway.

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
hey where do u get the textbook list from? I thought i was supposed to get it on enrolment day but I didn't and now I'm lost.

*hopeful*

HSC
also if u go into the bookshop they've got lists for all units

*hopeful*

HSC
does the 2nd hand book 'book shwop' or wateva open on march 1st ? sorry i know sum1 asked that b4 but i cant rememba

ladidid

HSC
N/A
I would wait until the lectures start because your lecturer can recommend the best books to buy.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Originally posted by ladidid
I would wait until the lectures start because your lecturer can recommend the best books to buy.
On the coop's site, dont the lecturer's for a particular subject submit which books the students should get. Thats why when we text search the Uni + Subject code, we get the book that the lecturer told coop for us to get. :confused:

ladidid

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Grizzly
On the coop's site, dont the lecturer's for a particular subject submit which books the students should get. Thats why when we text search the Uni + Subject code, we get the book that the lecturer told coop for us to get. :confused:
Not sure but i'm interested to know.
anyone?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
some of the units you do might have different streams because of the large amount of people doing the unit so there would be multiple lecturers which MIGHT use different textbooks.

i'd have to say what everyone else has been saying, just wait till after your first lecture to find out what you need. there really isn't a big rush to get them (except if you want to beat the huge lines) and the lecturers are understanding and know that not everyone will have the text in the first few weeks!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by *hopeful*
does the 2nd hand book 'book shwop' or wateva open on march 1st ? sorry i know sum1 asked that b4 but i cant rememba
i think so, in the first or 2nd week anyway
Originally posted by ladidid
Not sure but i'm interested to know.
anyone?
yes they are on the co op site. some have recommended texts though, so ask the lecturer about those.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
would it just be better (and cheaper) to get the course notes? will they do the same job?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Originally posted by Majesty
In all honesty, textbooks are a huuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of money.
But their an assest when you can get it at 50% of RRP :D

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
Originally posted by Majesty
In all honesty, textbooks are a huuuuuuuuuuuuge waste of money.
you can say that again majesty!!! you only use them before the finals when your cramming, for which of course the library should have copies. just be smart and borrow them in a hurry before everyone else!!

Originally posted by MaryJane
would it just be better (and cheaper) to get the course notes? will they do the same job?
some units don't have course notes. and if they do have course notes, i'd say get them instead of the textbook. course notes stick to the lecture material pretty spot on because they are made by the department.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)