Textbooks for 1st Yearers (1 Viewer)

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys :)
I was wondering how and when do we get informed of which textbooks to buy for uni
I'm getting really bored of doing basically nothing at home, and wanted to do some light reading on the course
And also where do you buy these textbooks?
Thanks!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys :)
I was wondering how and when do we get informed of which textbooks to buy for uni
I'm getting really bored of doing basically nothing at home, and wanted to do some light reading on the course
And also where do you buy these textbooks?
Thanks!
You get told whether a textbook is necessary for a unit usually in the first lecture.

Sometimes the unit coordinator will submit the list to the Co-Op Bookshop and you can have look with the following link:

Textbooks, Search & Buy Textbooks By Course |The Co-op Online Bookshop

In terms of buying textbooks, I would either recommend buying used or using a search aggregator like Booko.com.au to find the best price.

With that all said, I wouldn't really jump the gun and buy anything now.

madharris

HSC
N/A
You'll access into your unit portals a few days before uni starts which will have the uni outline, detailing what books you will need.

If I were you, I'd wait a while before you actually buy the books, as a lot of the time they turn out to be useless. If they dont tell you what books are useless, then try and sus it out from lecturers, tutors or other people who have done the unit before

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Wait a while, because sometimes the recommended textbooks will never, ever be touched. Or you will want to refer them so rarely, it's just best to look at them in the 4hr loan at the library.

Profs are notorious for like putting books they've written for on the required list just for ego lol.

Also, when you do buy them, get them 2nd hand off the year above you, or online. Unless you want to shell the big$$$ on textbooks at Co-Op.

SGSII

HSC
Uni Grad
Oooh okay thanks guys!
I guess i'll just wait haha

HSC
Buy every single recommended book and suggested reading on the lists immediately. You will get pregnant and die if otherwise.

HSC
But seriously don't get anything until your lecturer specifically tells you that you NEED it.

HSC
It's actually a LLLLLLHD avg - low low low.... high d

madharris

HSC
N/A
Alright mr smartinese. You're too intelligent for your own good. Share some of that wif me :D

pHyRe

HSC
what about ebooks?
i have a small tablet and i wouldn't mind getting PDFs for all the texts (for free hehe ) instead of paying the exorbitant prices for the new editions clearly made to scam us.

do the books come with PDFs on the CD or with a link online where you can get one? im thinking i can get a few friends and me, and we all buy one book get the PDF and share it around the class for whoever wants it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)