Textbooks:Uni Book Store or Amazon? (1 Viewer)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Just wondering if anyone can see any disadvantages to getting prescribed textbooks through amazon.com rather than the respective uni book store. For me, it ends up being a 50%+ saving.

I just wanted to make sure before I end up getting them =]

runnable

HSC
If they're the same edition and all that, why not?

Omar-Comin

HSC
N/A
Just wondering if anyone can see any disadvantages to getting prescribed textbooks through amazon.com rather than the respective uni book store. For me, it ends up being a 50%+ saving.

I just wanted to make sure before I end up getting them =]
uh, dont get them before the first lectures are over, because you will be told if you need them or not.....if you want to start studying or something just go to the library and borrow them.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
If they're the same edition and all that, why not?
Yeah. That is my train of thought too. Thanks =]

uh, dont get them before the first lectures are over, because you will be told if you need them or not.....if you want to start studying or something just go to the library and borrow them.
I went in to the UNSW bookshop and they told me that I will definitely be using the PRESCRIBED textbooks (hence why they have like 200 copies of them at the store XD), but to hold off on the RECOMMENDED ones. I have two prescribed and three recommended ones. My only concern is that if I wait until lectures start, and still want to order them offline, I won't have them for three weeks :S

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
they told me that I will definitely be using the PRESCRIBED textbooks
This isn't always the case. I've had prescribed textbooks for some of my classes, that I never bought and got by fine without. Hold off until your positive you need it.

Otherwise, if you choose to buy it, go with whatever's cheaper. It doesn't matter where you get it from.

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Use booko.com.au to see what sorta prices you can get. It automatically sorts out the lowest ones (including postage).

Often I find that bookdepository ends up being the cheapest.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
If I get my two textbooks through the book depository, I will be saving at least $100 =]

Free shipping definitely rocks! (Y)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I've ordered about 8 times from them and the books arrive scattered (they are individually shipped) over 2 weeks, sometimes just a bit longer. I've never had a problem with getting books from them so if you can deal with the wait they are a pretty good option.

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
I'd definitely wait and see if you actually NEED the books before you buy them. It's not like school where you open the textbook in every class, there may only be a suggested reading from the book, or 2 pages from it may help you with that one assignment question. Enough information to pass the unit is given in lectures/tutorial notes, books are only there for extra information.
If the book's the same but a cheaper price, buy it. You can also try second hand bookshops or uni online marketplace if they're available. Or even hire it from the library and rehire it a lot.

Timelord09

HSC
lol at textbook depository

Michelle Sanson- Connecting with the law

connectbooks (uws) - $76.50

Textbook Depository- @228.00

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
lol at textbook depository

Michelle Sanson- Connecting with the law

connectbooks (uws) - $76.50

Textbook Depository- @228.00
God... What a rip!!!

That's just insane!!!!

It definitely pays to shop around!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)