textbooks (1 Viewer)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
so what textbooks do i need for law?

please list them for me here.

im trying to figure out how many of them i can get for free.

now obviously it depends on my electives,
but please list the core ones.
ie. criminal law, torts, administrative law..

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
so what textbooks do i need for law?

please list them for me here.

im trying to figure out how many of them i can get for free.

now obviously it depends on my electives,
but please list the core ones.
ie. criminal law, torts, administrative law..
UNSW Bookshop

Key in the course codes from UNSW Handbook into the textbook finder. Work from there. Obviously it will differ enormously from university to university.

I'll be pretty surprised if you can get much for free. Even if you've got a more senior law student to sponge off editions change quite rapidly.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I know it varies from university to university - but how much money are Law students generally looking at in terms of textbooks?

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
they're bout $100+.

im thinking of buying just PDFs of the textbooks,
and putting them into the computer.

saves me having to lug around a huge textbook(s)

bored at work

HSC
You would want to highlight them.

Also in 5 years fair chance that the books used will change, can't really list all of them now.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
I know it varies from university to university - but how much money are Law students generally looking at in terms of textbooks?
I spend around $400 a semester, while desperately trying to buy second-hand. I manage to sell some of them. Call it a cost of ~$300 a semester when everything is said and done.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
If you buy them new it can be up to $800 or so in a semester (when you have an academic who decides to set a few books) generally I spend about $500, depends on the subjects.

eschew

HSC
N/A
sb told me that most of the text books could be borrowed in the library in unsw?

avant

HSC
i don't think you'll find PDF versions anywhere. the textbooks are jesus-sized.

your law library will have copies of the textbooks so it's not absolutely essential that you buy them - still, it's much easier to, and it's not so bad an investment. either buy second hand from your LSS and/or sell them the next year.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
ive found a new pdfs.

unfortunately not all of them,
because we use different books to the states (which pretty much have all on pdfs)

and the site that i use appears down for the last few weeks =(

rx34

HSC
I don't really think pdfs are a great idea for law books, maybe for commerce but not for law. There would be too many pages and highlighting for law, and it's really straining to read off the computer for so long. I would suggest you borrow them or get them secondhand at textbookexchange. Many of my mates got their secondhand textbooks for $50-$65 compared to the rrp of about $120.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
I don't really think pdfs are a great idea for law books, maybe for commerce but not for law. There would be too many pages and highlighting for law, and it's really straining to read off the computer for so long. I would suggest you borrow them or get them secondhand at textbookexchange. Many of my mates got their secondhand textbooks for $50-$65 compared to the rrp of about $120.
hehe.

its straining for me to read a book
my eyes have become accustomed to the screen.

i got this ibm thinkpad that apparently has the best 'display' ever, so that should help too =D

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
hehe.

its straining for me to read a book
my eyes have become accustomed to the screen.

i got this ibm thinkpad that apparently has the best 'display' ever, so that should help too =D
I really don't know how you are going to find the books set for your course, in particular the correct editions, there are so many books on each subject and they change set texts frequently. Sometimes my friends in lower years have used a completely different book as have friends at other unis. Some of the texts I am set this year are brand new editions that wont be published until late feb-early march.

If it was as easy as you say to do what you've planned wouldn't the majority of us be doing it? I would listen to the people in this thread some of us have been studying law for over 4 years now.

To find out books for UWS www.connectbooks.com.au for second hand books www.textbookexchange.com.au fliers around uni or people on this site. I am no sure if UWSLSA sells second hand books, MULS (MQ law soc does).

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
=(
i dont want to break my back and carry lots of textbooks.

but i guess you're right.

i'll wait till the semester starts and wait for the tutor/lecturer/professor to tell us which books we need.

eschew

HSC
N/A
Oh, in addition, as a foreign student is it necessary to bring a legal dictionary to AU ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)