The 'After School Hangover' (1 Viewer)

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Well it depends.

If you don't have to worry so much about living expenses (like rent + petrol to get too and from uni etc.) then uni's better.

Ksubi

HSC
i experienced it the day i graduated.... ive applied for heaps of jobs.
looking for a place to live and not sure what im going to do next year....
OMG.IM EXPERIENCING IT NOW. no parties.. im old.

*hits head on table

RSVPixie

HSC
N/A
I'm with Ksubi. but my after school hangover is a little different. I don't yet have to deal with money problems, as i finished my HSC exams a few days ago :p lol but already i find myself wanting to do school-ish things. I have been constantly thinking subconsciously about random things like oxidation/reduction states and the quantum theory and Post modern literature and seventeenth century comedy dramatic techniques. I watched a taped lecture on ABC about the ethics/morality/effectiveness of psychology and its basic principles in the investigative criminal process, and immediately felt like doing an essay on that subject- the same afternoon i finished my very last HSC exam. Its not just that; i have re-written my creative writing for English twice since the exam was over, and im also categorising the list of people im inviting to my birthday alphabetically, including a checklist of whether i know their full name, whether or not i am inviting them to stay over, whether they have RSVP'd, even what their blood type is. heck, im on this site looking up resources for no other reason than boredom. my life has lost the meaning it has had for 15 years of my life [i did preschool for three years, the type where you actually learn stuff like numbers and the alphabet]. with the HSC done, and nothing to do between now and the start of Uni... its kind of empty. and that makes me feel sad in the "lame" way and in the "antonym to happy" way.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
ausbluesman, if you are willing to find a job, you will find one. YES. even if you have to work summers so that you can go uni, then do it.

and depending on where you go uni, you can always travel back and forth. i know of plenty of people who live in the south of sydney who were willing to go newcastle to attend uni. it is similar circumstances for work. if you are willing to go out of your way to get a job, there is one.

and yes i have gone on dry spells where i couldnt get a job and got lower paying jobs to cover me instead. why dont you try working on campus? or even asking the uni for advice. you would most likely not be their only student with similar circumstances. its all about the effort.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I don't have holidays as you would think.

I get two weeks holidays every 15 weeks of study, it's an accelerated degree. I don't get summer holidays and no-one in their right mind would employ someone for two weeks full time work lol.

Also, being a specialized college, there are no jobs for students, other than working in the Library, which all positions are filled.

I've put as much effort as I can in looking for a job around here, and it is impossible to find one. Working anywhere more than 50 to 100 kilometers away would be futile as I'd be paying more in petrol than I'd be earning.

And this is why I'm moving XD.

shady145

Banned
HSC
My god you're a tard.

Byron Bay has no jobs. Brunswick heads has no jobs. Ballina has no jobs. Mullumbimby has no jobs. That's in a radius of 100k... I've applied for everything I could, and not one offer in 8 months... 8 MONTHS! It's kinda hard when you live in a hole of an area where tourists and backpackers come regularly and work for peanuts. Don't give me your shit about finding a job when you don't know the area.

This is the same story for a majority of Australian youths. There just isn't work for us.

And that is why I'm moving back to Murwillumbah (still a hole, less of one though) where I can work in Tweed Heads 20 minutes away, quitting my degree so I can actually make money to live.

Seriously. Have you gone through this type of thing?
i didnt know there were bigger holes out there than murhole
you should get equity scholarships off ruddy ;)
oh yea, there are jobs here in muwillumbah still lol, i think crazy clarks were advertising positions last time i checked, also if you have your bar licence, there is a part-time job at 'The-Bar' for 35-40 hours unless its been filled in the last 3 days

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
My advice: save up as much money during the summer holidays before uni, it definitely makes a difference. Get a job during the Christmas periods as most shops are looking for casuals. Get a head start.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
i didnt know there were bigger holes out there than murhole
you should get equity scholarships off ruddy ;)
oh yea, there are jobs here in muwillumbah still lol, i think crazy clarks were advertising positions last time i checked, also if you have your bar licence, there is a part-time job at 'The-Bar' for 35-40 hours unless its been filled in the last 3 days
You live out here? Lol.

I'm going to be living in Murbs and working in Tweed. At least there are jobs around here, unlike the Byron Shire where you have to be (direct quote) "A regular of 15 years to get a job..."

Bullshit.

shady145

Banned
HSC
You live out here? Lol.
yea, i went to wollumbin high =(

I'm going to be living in Murbs and working in Tweed. At least there are jobs around here, unlike the Byron Shire where you have to be (direct quote) "A regular of 15 years to get a job..."

Bullshit
yea and a bus comes back and forth which could make it cheaper, that age thing is crap, trying to save a few dollars on minimum wages...

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I'll be driving XD. I hate Surfside lol.

I was a Murwillumbah High student. Mur-bah scum represent! Lol.

sydchick

HSC
N/A
Some people are just fucking dickheads who think that just because Syd/Melb/Brissie has work everywhere else will.

The mid-north and north coast of NSW is pretty much just one big hole, concerning jobs/work. Most of it is populated by Baby Boomers and retirees. There is that younger demographic (30-40) but they've already gotten their work.

Kids just out of high school are basically fucked when it comes to work. No one wants to employ you because

- you go to uni and can't do that many shifts hence chopping and change shifts constantly
- they have enough employees already
- there is just NO JOBS available for you

The Tweed might have something for you AusBluesMan but I doubt it. Gold Coast is just too far and Lismore might be as well, considering you go to uni.

Maybe move back home (if you can) and live with your parents until uni is over or you have more money?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Problem. I've moved back to my mum's... And quit my degree all but one unit.

Uni is in Byron Bay, and Mum's is in Murwillumbah... 45 minutes drive. And using that petrol every day would mean no money for anything else at all... I want to LIVE! Lol.

I've talked to people and they've said that there are jobs around. Some that are easy to get into. And some have said stuff like "get [insert license here] and I'll hire you on the spot." I'm just going to have to start the hunt again I guess.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Lol... 88' Ford EA Falcon S-pack.

It's a guzzler in traffic. Uses practically nothing on the highway... Still adds up to about $10-$20 per trip.

tubtub

HSC
Its something that my mates and i were talking about last night, how we were all nostalgic about year 12, money is such an issue now, loss of friends, no house parties anymore, and basically the fact now we have to grow up and start making important decisions and life really isnt all its cracked up to be post school. My brother just said that its the 'After School Hangover' and every school leaver goes through it at some time. I thought this was a really good way of putting it.

Just wondering if anyone else here has experienced it?
ive been in your situation before but now im now having "after uni hangover". its hard when you got no job, no money and uni takes up a lot of your time. if i was in yr 12 again and wanted to do uni, i would take a semester-a year off working so i that ive got some money to pay for the basic things such as food/textbooks etc.

ashllis92

HSC
Yeah the petrol would be a major problem.

What to do drive?

I drive a little hatchback and $35 will last me nearly 350 k's. It's fucking awesome.
wow, thats actually not that great, my little hatchback will go around 600km on a tank which is about $40... and its 10 years old

anyway, back on topic, it's not just the north coast which has no work, I live on the south coast about halfway between sydney and the border and there isn't work here for people just out of school for more than 6 hours a week... im lucky because i got a job at maccas when i was 15 and ive just hung onto that and brown nosed my boss for 3 years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)