The Coles Thread (1 Viewer)

Trentyboi

HSC
Why is double bagging such a huge problem?
I have customers that lug their groceries onto the bus/train to get home and it would be hell if I was doing that and a bag broke. Some goods have sharp corners that eventually break the bag if handled awhile longer.
It's not that hard. If they want double bags, just ask them to lift each bag up whilst you slip a bag from the bottom up. It takes an extra split second per bag if you're efficient.

When a customer starts explaining why they want a bag, just say "that's fine" *smile* and they will shut up instantly.

Seriously. Complaining about nothing.
But I don't overload the bags. I double them if I get the smallest feeling that it'll snap, I just double it before they even ask. Customers hardly ask me to double the bag, but when they do, it's pretty much impossible for it to break, unless they swing it around like crazy. That's why it gets to me.

I don't care about me having to 'work' more to double-bag for a customer. But it's the cost, every bag costs money. The less bags we use, the less money spent, and yeah.....

Not to mention the environmental issues. Anyways, I often just tell them yes, and then say: "It doesn't really matter, because sooner or later we're going to phase these out. Won't be able to rely on them forever"

bdude

HSC
I was reading a message on the notice board that said somethin like the last Friday of every month is going to be Camp Quality day and anyone who's working has to wear a red polo shirt instead of the normal blue shirt. Anyone else heard anything about this?

HSC
I was reading a message on the notice board that said somethin like the last Friday of every month is going to be Camp Quality day and anyone who's working has to wear a red polo shirt instead of the normal blue shirt. Anyone else heard anything about this?
I'd certainly hope Coles would be providing these shirts for their employees. I wouldn't go out and buy a shirt for work for one day in a month.

izzy88

HSC
Why is double bagging such a huge problem?
I have customers that lug their groceries onto the bus/train to get home and it would be hell if I was doing that and a bag broke. Some goods have sharp corners that eventually break the bag if handled awhile longer.
It's not that hard. If they want double bags, just ask them to lift each bag up whilst you slip a bag from the bottom up. It takes an extra split second per bag if you're efficient.

When a customer starts explaining why they want a bag, just say "that's fine" *smile* and they will shut up instantly.

Seriously. Complaining about nothing.
its just annoying. we know plastic bags are bad for the environment and there is no reason why two loaves of bread need to be double bagged. SERIOUSLY. Its BREAD! agh. sorry. happened twice last night. :mad1:

edit: by the way, anyone else getting the ridiculous amount of info we have to push on people for the 'great gift card giveaway' ?! the mystery shopper guidelines now ask whether we've asked them for flybys, if they've signed up for the gift card giveaway, to explain the giftcard giveaway to them (what they could win, how many points they get), how they can apply etc etc seriously?! it would take at least a minute on top of a normal transaction to explain all of that to them, and because i generally work on express, there is no time to explain during the transaction, which means taking up time before i can serve the next customer (which they would not be happy with!). ugh.

Last edited:

Kego

HSC
Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and am looking to apply at Coles (or Safeway + Woolworths?/Officeworks). I followed a template for my resume, as attatched below; could anyone give any tips/see any errors, etc on it?

How important are referees? I saw on their online application form that it's required at the end. I don't really know anyone other than teachers because I've never actually had a paid job before, only volunteer. Even the one listed as 'Paid work' was actually through my brother who worked for the actual company.

Also how long would I expect to wait for a response or request for interview if they approve, seeing as it's midyear?
About availability, I've read heaps of people say to write down your always available, but does that mean including before school, during school hours, etc? Because I could get from school to Coles (depending which one) in under 5 minutes to over one hour.

How physical does nightfill get, would it be available at my age? Because if it's staying awake, that's no problem.... I'm somewhat of an insomniac and could easily pull allnighters on a Friday/Saturday night, it's not like I do much other than watch movies on a Friday night anyway.

p.s. I read all 33 pages because I'm bored :rofl: even though I have a SAC tomorrow.

Last edited:

bdude

HSC
edit: by the way, anyone else getting the ridiculous amount of info we have to push on people for the 'great gift card giveaway' ?
Hehe, we're not doing the Gift Card Giveaway in tassie.

Trentyboi

HSC
I work in a Coles Central where EVERY register is express, I manage to explain that shitty gift card giveaway promotion.

HSC
Hey guys, I'm 16 years old and am looking to apply at Coles (or Safeway + Woolworths?/Officeworks). I followed a template for my resume, as attatched below; could anyone give any tips/see any errors, etc on it?

How important are referees? I saw on their online application form that it's required at the end. I don't really know anyone other than teachers because I've never actually had a paid job before, only volunteer. Even the one listed as 'Paid work' was actually through my brother who worked for the actual company.

Also how long would I expect to wait for a response or request for interview if they approve, seeing as it's midyear?
About availability, I've read heaps of people say to write down your always available, but does that mean including before school, during school hours, etc? Because I could get from school to Coles (depending which one) in under 5 minutes to over one hour.

How physical does nightfill get, would it be available at my age? Because if it's staying awake, that's no problem.... I'm somewhat of an insomniac and could easily pull allnighters on a Friday/Saturday night, it's not like I do much other than watch movies on a Friday night anyway.

p.s. I read all 33 pages because I'm bored :rofl: even though I have a SAC tomorrow.
I think its a good resume overall. I would take out the additional information section, and condense special achievements. Particularly the Academic Excellence/Achievment/Effort Awards - give them one name (it doesnt matter if you make it up) and put all of the dates together. Take out the reading ones, the tutoring one (as this has already been mentioned). Definitely keep perfect attendance and subject awards.

As for availabilities, what you put on your application isn't what you'll HAVE to work. This will be confirmed at store level once you get the job.

Put your referees in, even if they are from volunteer positions. I think they just want to see that you HAVE referees, and probably won't contact them.

Be warned though that Coles is notoriously slow at getting back to people.

silvasprings

HSC
i have been working at coles since september last year and here is what i have to say...

if they put you on grocery you will definetly be doing crap with shelves...
whether its "presentation" which is just bringing the stock forward and making it look nice...
Or stacking shelves *yay*
And returning lost crap... cause people are too fricken lazy to put it back where they got it from.
Or putting stolen or broken stuff out the back...

This job is extremely repetitive, so it's easy mindless work for reasonable pay.

the worst part is when a customer asks you where something is and its not a clear decription or you have no idea where the hell it is....

Overall, its an ok job.

if you don't mind late nights, and mindless anal crap...

Everyone should at least give it a go...

btw it helps if you are tall... theres always a lot of reaching...

Kego

HSC
Thanks for the help bakik and silva, removed the things suggested and further condensed it.
I'm 175cm which is around average I guess. Basically the academic excellence award = top of the class (4 classes each year level), achievement = top 5 and effort is around top 10.

Also on the topic about remembering things, I used to be addicted to heaps of MMORPG's.... mind numbing boring click, keybash games (like WOW... but free 1s). So I should be fine in that aspect. :haha:

laniani

HSC
its just annoying. we know plastic bags are bad for the environment and there is no reason why two loaves of bread need to be double bagged. SERIOUSLY. Its BREAD! agh. sorry. happened twice last night. :mad1:

edit: by the way, anyone else getting the ridiculous amount of info we have to push on people for the 'great gift card giveaway' ?! the mystery shopper guidelines now ask whether we've asked them for flybys, if they've signed up for the gift card giveaway, to explain the giftcard giveaway to them (what they could win, how many points they get), how they can apply etc etc seriously?! it would take at least a minute on top of a normal transaction to explain all of that to them, and because i generally work on express, there is no time to explain during the transaction, which means taking up time before i can serve the next customer (which they would not be happy with!). ugh.

yeah....i generally forget/ dont bother. unless its quiet. then i'll ask them. but people get so peeved when im like 'fly buys?'...'oh, btw, have you signed up for the giant gift card giveaway?' then launch into a speech about it. generally if they say no, and its quiet, i give them a brochure unless they actually ask what it is/ what to do etc...then i'll explain. I work at times when most customers are people going home from work..they just want to get home...

if i hear other people on registers doing it, then i do it. If they dont, i dont :)
i got 100% on my first mystery shopper....figure it'll be fine if i don't do so good the second time

Trentyboi

HSC
On the note of bags. I read in the paper that Coles will be selling 15c bio-degradable plastic bags as of September.

Looks like 'normal' plastic is going to be phased out nation-wide pretty soon!

bdude

HSC
The 15c bags have been on trial in my store for a while now, they're very good quality, sturdy and hold a decent amount of material.

According to the update in the staff room they're also bringing in the 25c fully biodegradable bags.

They had to develop these due to the SA plastic bag ban. 99c bags will continue to be sold.

Kego

HSC
*sigh*

I just received this in the mail today...

Dear Kevin,

Thank you very much for expressing your interest in working at Officeworks.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an interview in this instance.

We thank you for your expressed interest in Officeworks and wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Yours sincerely,
Basically I applied for Woolworths, Coles and Officeworks in the same night. Each resume was further edited and customized to 1 and 1/2 pages. For Officeworks I had to fill in a different form and hand it into the store. I made the writing legible, error-free, had maximum work hours (afterschool>close on weekdays and open>close on weekends). Also I ticked the boxes which asked if I had experience in technology and also print/copy.

Really bummed out about it, for the past few hours I've been searching about rejection letters, how to write up resumes, etc when I should have been studying for an exam tomorrow! Bah, why did I have to open the mail today? I haven't been contacted by Coles/Woolys yet, but I doubt I'll have a chance with those either.

There must have been something really wrong about my resume or something, seeing as I didn't even get an interview. Friends have written like 1/2 page resumes and got jobs at other places...

greekgun

HSC
*sigh*

I just received this in the mail today...

Basically I applied for Woolworths, Coles and Officeworks in the same night. Each resume was further edited and customized to 1 and 1/2 pages. For Officeworks I had to fill in a different form and hand it into the store. I made the writing legible, error-free, had maximum work hours (afterschool>close on weekdays and open>close on weekends). Also I ticked the boxes which asked if I had experience in technology and also print/copy.

Really bummed out about it, for the past few hours I've been searching about rejection letters, how to write up resumes, etc when I should have been studying for an exam tomorrow! Bah, why did I have to open the mail today? I haven't been contacted by Coles/Woolys yet, but I doubt I'll have a chance with those either.

There must have been something really wrong about my resume or something, seeing as I didn't even get an interview. Friends have written like 1/2 page resumes and got jobs at other places...
Just had a look at ur resume and it looks fair good - good enough to get a ptt/casual job at safeway or something. But im guessing that coles/safeway and every other store which u dont need certain skills for are going 2 be hiring from a young age to reduce their expenses.

bdude

HSC
I assume every one's stores have started to roll out the new unit pricing tags? I think it's a bit silly that on the Fruit & Veg signs, which are already marked in $/kg they felt the need to add the $/100g

Predator78

HSC
Hey all,
Does anyone one have tips to get a job at Coles?
Like things you should have for experience such as leadership skills,past jobs etc?
I'm in the process of looking over and completing the online form atm and have been told from numerous friends that to fill it out now as they recruit in September.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
HSC
I assume every one's stores have started to roll out the new unit pricing tags? I think it's a bit silly that on the Fruit & Veg signs, which are already marked in $/kg they felt the need to add the $/100g
It is stupid, but its probably still a requirement of the unit pricing implementation.

bdude

HSC
Apparently our service manager has been asked to slash hours more than she's ever had to before, giving me a massive four hours next week.

I think it's pretty ridculous for a management that are trying to promote "no queues" to slash budgets resulting in even more queues, and even more annoyed customers.

I'm glad I picked up 6hours/week doing face-up for Grocery otherwise I would've been poor next week.

I bet the decision was made by some suit in Toorak who probably has no idea what it's actually like in the store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)