The Crocodile Hunter pulls a Michael Jackson (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
in the end... if this is all the world has to worry about right now, things can't be too bad

AGB

HSC
i wish i could do a publicity stunt with britney spears :D

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Something that has not been mentioned here is that Steve Irwin is only doing what is 'normal' in his family. His father raised him in exactly the same way. That is why he is so able to handle dangerous animals. Because he has so much experience dealing with them.

I disagree with the people on here who have said that 'crocodiles are unpredictable'. That's just not the case. Crocodiles are animals which follow animal instincts. If you know what the instincts are, you can be safe. I have been to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo in QLD. I saw the exact same display that Irwin was filmed doing (minus the child). Crocs are most dangerous when in the water. This is because they are extremely quick swimmers. An unsuspecting victim in the water has no chance of outswimming a croc. This is how the majority of croc attacks occur. On land, the croc is far less dangerous. A human can easily outrun a croc (the most effective technique is to run in zig-zags). When a croc is about to strike, there are a number of signs which the experienced handler can recognise in the croc's body language. Steve was able to lie down less than 3m from a croc for about 20 seconds, because he knew it was not about to attack.

Additionally, at the Irwin zoo there are a number of other handlers within the enclosure or at the fence at it's perimiter. Their job is to keep another set of eyes on the crocs, so that if Steve can't see a croc, they can let him know where it is, etc.

Irwin's family home is within 30m of a croc enclosure. The Irwin kids need to know how to live in that kind of proximity with the crocs, and how to be safe around them. Some people say "how can a 1 month old learn anything about crocs". It's not about learning a direct lesson. Its about being exposed to crocs. For the Irwins, it is 'normal' to be around 'dangerous' animals. The earlier that crocs become a normal part of the Irwin kid's lives, the safer they will be. A healthy respect is needed when around animals of all kinds, and that starts at an early age.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
THE CHILD IS ONE-MONTH OLD. I don't care how many arguments Stebe Irwin or any of you put up, the fact of the matter is the child should not be put in such a situation.

And Cactus, crocodiles are not unpredictable? Unless you live on a crocodile farm and handle crocodiles each day, I wouldn't put my money on believing that.

Rorix

HSC
Sooooo Loz, one month old children shouldn't be driven around in cars because its putting them in a potentially dangerous situation?

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Rorix
Sooooo Loz, one month old children shouldn't be driven around in cars because its putting them in a potentially dangerous situation?
Cars have seatbelts. Cars can be handled well. I don't care how well Steve Irwin "handles" those crocodiles, something could have happened and like I said in an earlier post, reaction time just wouldn't have been enough to prevent both him AND the baby from getting hurt.

Sooooo, there you go.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
They are unpredictable in a predictable way. If that makes sense. They are animals, which means they follow animal instincts. At the same time every day they are fed by the zookeepers (I know because I have been there). When the keepers are in the enclosure, the croc has one thing on it's mind: the piece of raw meat that is being offered it. Crocs are not the viscious killers made out by the media, the majority of people who are killed by Crocs are people who have gone into the Croc's teritory (their water) and have drawn attention to themselves. Crocs do not go out of their way to attack people. They don't come out of the water to attack, that's not how they prey. They wait for their prey to come into the water. They are practically useless as a predator when on land. That is why Irwin is able to feed them inside the enclosure, he knows how they behave because he was raised around them, and his kids will be raised in the same way.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
Cars have seatbelts. Cars can be handled well. I don't care how well Steve Irwin "handles" those crocodiles, something could have happened and like I said in an earlier post, reaction time just wouldn't have been enough to prevent both him AND the baby from getting hurt.

Sooooo, there you go.
The main danger on the road is not the driver themself, but the other nuts who are behind the wheel. Just because cars can be handled well does not mean that they are handled well, and does not mean people don't get hurt by them.

There were several people very close by the croc as the demonstration was taking place, if you have ever seen his TV show, you will know that these people DO know how to handle crocs well

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I don't know. Perhaps a life that young is just too valuable to risk in any incident. Like it or not, they're my opinions.

Rorix

HSC

Sooooo, there you go.
Crocodiles out of water are rather slow and easily outrun by a human. Steve Irwin also had numerous handlers (which we can safely assume are trained professionals) to keep an eye out for him. Steve Irwin himself is very experienced with crocodiles and would be able to recognize subtle changes in the crocodile that would indicate if it was ready to attack etc. So we've got the baby, surrounded by trained professionals, in the grasps of a loving father who also happens to be very experienced with crocodiles, as well as a crocodile out of water at full reach which is unable to leap forward like a land mammal.

The ONLY possible way (apart from something like Steve Irwin having a sudden epileptic fit and throwing his child into the crocoile pool) for the baby to be in any danger was if the crocodile, when up in the air getting the food from Steve Irwin, had undergone some evolutionary change which allowed them to propel their massive body forwards off their hind legs.

Feel free to provide any sort of plausable counterexample.

Oh, and seatbelts are rather ineffective when it comes to a small one month old child.:rolleyes:

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
I don't know. Perhaps a life that young is just too valuable to risk in any incident. Like it or not, they're my opinions.
So as was said, why not prevent them from any danger at all. Why don't we all wrap ourselves in cotton wool and never do anything that could be possibly imagined as dangerous. Some life that would be.

Rorix

HSC
Nothing can be totally free of danger - the best you can do is prevent any real danger (i.e. without astronomical odds). How many babies have been eaten by crocodiles while in the hands of a trained experienced professional? I'd venture the answer would be zero.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Cactus
So as was said, why not prevent them from any danger at all. Why don't we all wrap ourselves in cotton wool and never do anything that could be possibly imagined as dangerous. Some life that would be.
Like I said, if you don't like my opinions that's my problem. I know some things can't be helped and prevented, but other things can be.

Rorix

HSC
The problem is that your opinions seemed to be based on no factual basis (at least none that you can provide) and you seem to expect that Steve Irwin should not be able to take his children into a croc enclosure simply because you don't think he should. Needless to say, the world shouldn't run on unjustifiable opinions.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Rorix
The problem is that your opinions seemed to be based on no factual basis (at least none that you can provide) and you seem to expect that Steve Irwin should not be able to take his children into a croc enclosure simply because you don't think he should. Needless to say, the world shouldn't run on unjustifiable opinions.
Don't tell me what my problem is. My opinions are my own and I won't let you or anybody else for that matter twist them to your liking.

I do not think Steve Irwin is the next Michael Jackson simply because everybody knows Michael Jackson is a bit off his rocker. The fact that annoys me is that crocodiles have never been known to be cute or cuddly pets and i'm glad Irwin sees that and still treats them as a cool animal. Yes, I don't think he should have taken that child in and just because you and Cactus are completely butchering my opinions does not mean they are not valuable. Perhaps you do not understand the value of a human life, no matter how old they are or perhaps you just don't care for children. I don't know what your reasoning is, nor do I care. The bottom line for me is that Steve Irwin should perhaps think more carefully next time about his actions and about his son.

I'm done, I have no more to say on the matter.

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
If the kid doesn't learn how to respect crocodiles as he grows up, he will end up dead. THAT is irresponsible parenting. The kid needs exposure to these animals right from the word go so that he can be safe around them. It's like teaching a kid to swim: the sooner they learn, the safer they will be as they grow up. You start as early as possible.

Far more children die each year from drowning than anyone does of croc attacks, yet parents still send their child to swim school.......

Rorix

HSC
Don't tell me what my problem is. My opinions are my own and I won't let you or anybody else for that matter twist them to your liking.
I'm not trying to tell you what your problem is. Note that I said "the problem is" in relation to what was causing the debate. You've totally misunderstood me because you want to insult me and Cactus because we are pointing out (very validly) that you're just trying to impose your morality and deprive Steve Irwin of the right to raise his child how he wishes WITHOUT any sort of facts whatsoever to substaniate your opinion.

Asquithian: I wouldn't personally, and I don't think it was a good idea (or that he had anything really to learn), but he has a right to raise his child how he wants (within limits).

Rorix

HSC
Yeah I think he's a bit crazy as well but unless his children are at risk of being seriously damaged you can't take his children away/stop him raising them how he wants.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
but what was the point of this stunt?

Steve Irwin said it was to teach the child about crocs, but he's only 1 month old, he's too young to learn the dangers of crocs

and the child prolly was safe, i believe he was, but the fact of the matter is, steve irwin delibratly put his child in a potentialy dangerous situation for no paticular reason

but couldn't he wait until the child was a bit older to teach him about crocs

i do think ppl are over-reacting, but i also think some ppl are under-reacting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)