The Crucible and belonging (2 Viewers)

pookiewoo

HSC
No offense but you sound like a bit of a wanker - what does "you should know better" mean? This person is doing standard and besides both Harry Potter and Twilight are great texts for belonging. If nothing else they allow the student to explore the phenomenal popularity of texts that explore the 'outsider' finding a place to belong and hence how this obviously resonates so strongly within society. Don't be such a snob
yeeeya.. thats what im talking about!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No offense but you sound like a bit of a wanker - what does "you should know better" mean? This person is doing standard and besides both Harry Potter and Twilight are great texts for belonging. If nothing else they allow the student to explore the phenomenal popularity of texts that explore the 'outsider' finding a place to belong and hence how this obviously resonates so strongly within society. Don't be such a snob
Seriously, if you think you're going to do well by using Looking for Alibrandi, Harry Potter and Twilight, be my guest. For those of you that want a chance of getting Band 6, steer clear.

And as for the way I said it, I'm a very forthright and blunt person - I don't really give a shit what a girl on a forum, who I'm never gonna meet thinks of me. :)

N

Nicola1616

Where the f--k do you get all this shit mate? What band did you get? Don't know yet? Then stop of of you elitist bullshit and let people choose their texts in consultation with their teachers. As if someone is going to take your advice. The whole curriculum over the last few years has changed to be consciously more inclusive of texts previously considered 'low-brow'. That's why you study stuff now like 'Clueless' and 'Looking for Alibrandi' and extension one explores Crime Fiction and Gothic Literature, genres previously marginalised by people who thought them too trashy and insufficiently literary. Gone is the canon of dead white males and with it the idea that some stuff is 'worthy' literature and some stuff isn't. Sadly, some students never seem to get that it's not about the text, it's about you understanding context and values inherent in any text - literary or from popular culture. Some people have that incredibly archaic, up themselves, exclusive, right-wing snobbery that seems to be hard-wired and I guess you can't do much about that.
ps it sounds like you do care a lot what I think of you.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Where the f--k do you get all this shit mate? What band did you get? Don't know yet?
I did decently at a decently placed school, internally. Not sure externally.

Then stop of of you elitist bullshit and let people choose their texts in consultation with their teachers.
I don't know too many teachers that would condone Harry Potter and the Twilight series as 'good' related texts. I don't think you'd find many students that get Band 6 that would condone Harry Potter and the Twilight series.

As if someone is going to take your advice.
I don't care if someone takes my advice or not. They ask questions - I offer advice, whether or not they take my advice, that isn't my concern.

The whole curriculum over the last few years has changed to be consciously more inclusive of texts previously considered 'low-brow'. That's why you study stuff now like 'Clueless' and 'Looking for Alibrandi' and extension one explores Crime Fiction and Gothic Literature, genres previously marginalised by people who thought them too trashy and insufficiently literary. Gone is the canon of dead white males and with it the idea that some stuff is 'worthy' literature and some stuff isn't.
Yeah, a bit behind the times - Clueless, Looking for Alibrandi, and Gothic Genres are no longer on the syllabus. But I get what you're saying.

Sadly, some students never seem to get that it's not about the text, it's about you understanding context and values inherent in any text - literary or from popular culture.
Find me someone that will write about Twilight and Harry Potter - and tell me what they get in the HSC.

swathard

HSC
I did decently at a decently placed school, internally. Not sure externally.

I don't know too many teachers that would condone Harry Potter and the Twilight series as 'good' related texts. I don't think you'd find many students that get Band 6 that would condone Harry Potter and the Twilight series.

I don't care if someone takes my advice or not. They ask questions - I offer advice, whether or not they take my advice, that isn't my concern.

Yeah, a bit behind the times - Clueless, Looking for Alibrandi, and Gothic Genres are no longer on the syllabus. But I get what you're saying.

Find me someone that will write about Twilight and Harry Potter - and tell me what they get in the HSC.
My good mate actually did Twilight and Harry Point for the Year 11 AOS (Journeys) this year - he got 7/15 for the assessment task which required us to integrate related materials with our core text.

jiratic

HSC
kid's don't complain.
everyone thniks their text is bad.
Read some of the other related's, and they are far more boring, less compelling, less linked to belonging, or just plain long/dense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)