the current english course is a waste of time, true or false (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamiyo

HSC
In my opinion learning a foreign language is much more useful than English for improving grammar, but English does have its merits, testing the ability to take a point and make a well structured and cohesive argument appropriate to whatever you're doing.

Having said that, representation = :burn:

eddy11

HSC
wow, by starting this thread i had no idea of the reaction that would result.

From reading it though, there are many things repeated, most notably and agreeably (i wish this had spell check):
  • There are 'english' people, and 'maths' people. Each group benefits from 'their' subject in similar ways, which is why NEITHER is compulsory.
  • i take back my statement that its a complete waste of time. It is interesting and rewarding but for those of us who don't understand it, it is unfair that its manadtory.
  • It would be nice to just read texts and APPRECIATE them, not violently tear them apart to uncover a meaning as this takes away from a texts beauty, they were written for pleasure of the reader and to make people see their point of view, not to have kids trying to uncover their metaphors and such.
  • I do believe that thiings could change if enough people want, someone will come to their senses soon enough.
  • English is as important as all subjects, but not for all people, just as maths is important for medicine, english is for a person who enjoys english
Basically it should just not be compulsory and i can now see why pepole do enjoy it

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
eddy11 said:
There are 'english' people, and 'maths' people. Each group benefits from 'their' subject in similar ways, which is why NEITHER is compulsory.
Huh?

eddy11

HSC
oh yeah, what i meant to say was neither should be compulsory.

Good english skills are essential for medicine, but not literature skills, understanding of texts for empathy and tolerance of people, but not being able to tear them apart.

slzybanana

HSC
so what you mean to say is....tolerance of people is not essential for medicine o_O? Sounds like dr house to me...

mjgeneral

HSC
@ watatank, english skills compared to maths skills in medicine? You need quite an amount of mathematics involved in medicine. Calculus is broadly used in the medical field, just that the students aren't taught where its used, so people say "how is calculus ever used". We only need a freaking basic english skills ie basic communicaion get it thru ur dam heads people. as long as people can talk and write its pretty much all the fundamentals in life. We dont need all this excess crap, its just a complete waste of time. and theres sumthing for UMAT u fools, thats the english and logic test for the people who do medi. give me practical applications where english advanced would serve as a neccessity. Theres barely any. Meanwhile, please design the worlds tallest skyscraper for me using ur english schools and then count the dead bodies for me

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
mjgeneral said:
@ watatank, english skills compared to maths skills in medicine? You need quite an amount of mathematics involved in medicine. Calculus is broadly used in the medical field, just that the students aren't taught where its used, so people say "how is calculus ever used". We only need a freaking basic english skills ie basic communicaion get it thru ur dam heads people. as long as people can talk and write its pretty much all the fundamentals in life. We dont need all this excess crap, its just a complete waste of time. and theres sumthing for UMAT u fools, thats the english and logic test for the people who do medi
and yet without effective communication skills, what use is maths in the first place?

this is why english will always trump mathematics. sorry mang but it's the harsh reality of life.

mjgeneral

HSC
JESUS i cannot fathom the logic behind that. "What use is maths without communication" ok ffs lemme make this point loud and clear. Nearly every single person (well apart from the fobs) can speak fluently and write legibly at the end of yr10. ok? stop saying "oh without english we wouldnt b able to talk", were talking about senior HSC english not the primary skool shit. Mathematics does not require shakespeare. No retard would think that. NONE.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
You're all horribly misinformed:

- There's no such thing as English people or Maths people, it's a social construct

- Mathematics teaches you how to communicate clearly (and if it doesn't then you're not being taught properly). In maths you have to express what you're arguing perfectly clearly or you're wrong. In English you can throw in some extra big words and it sounds good. In maths you throw in some extra big words and everyone will think you're an idiot.

mjgeneral

HSC
Id agree to a certain extent, english is used because it sounds good
ill quote from a frnd in class
"why are there all these complicated words which mean exactly the same thing as much more simple words??"
"so nobody can understand you!"
Mathematics requires a clear train of thought and stimulates the thinking as much as english. you cannot b truly good at mathematics without logical reasoning and creativity.
how to be good at english? just make up sum stuff, add a cool sounding word here and then and pretend to no what your talking about. The result: a big fat tick with comments "you obviously studied"
retard english teachers, just goes to show how easily they can be fooled. and from what i think, the more "mathematical" minded person can spell better than ones who are better at essay writing. Even in baulkham hills high, ranked 2nd in the state in english, one of their english teachers went to the maths department because she didnt no how to spell a word.

Last edited:

slzybanana

HSC
There IS no argument in maths. In maths, you use the formulas, you sub in the numbers and you get your answer. Everyone gets the same answer. If it's not the same answer it's wrong. What argument is there in that? How can you possibly argue when there's only one right answer, only one side. What you really mean is, you have to show your working clearly wth, is with this throwing big words into maths thing? You don't USE words in maths, except possibly for reasoning in geometry.

Raaaaaay

HSC
Jachie said:
and yet without effective communication skills, what use is maths in the first place?

this is why english will always trump mathematics. sorry mang but it's the harsh reality of life.
Communication skills? Does the current english advanced course dim the effective improvement and development of communication skills? I think not. The use of mathematics are far more advantagous in comparison to English if there are any at all. Sure if you want to become a Journalist or an Author a senior English course might help you later in life to "Analyse Sources" and "Deconstruct texts".

You say that Mathematics is useless? Well I sure hope that your roof collapses on you then and your walls cave in, without mathematics you wouldnt be sitting there at your computer. Mathematics is the core root of the way the modern day functions, sure due to communication in English the world has globalised and transnational corporations have established them selves but you tell me where in a senior english course does it teach you how to speak the damn language?

Mathematics is a universal language it is understood by many nations and has many uses. i.e finding the maxima/minima values of a turning point on a projected curve of sales or its very many uses on the engineering career path. Mathematics will be far more used in the modern era as we delve more and more into technology. Sure if you support the nessecity of the senior English course then go become a damn litterature writer. Is English so nessecary that the BOS deems it compulsary thus "the most important subject" in the HSC. I question the BOS on its views and ask Do they all want us to become writers? Because that is all I can see for the usefulness of a senior English course in tertiary education and beyond.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Jachie said:
Because without maths, civilisation as we know it would be non-existant.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
slzybanana said:
There IS no argument in maths. In maths, you use the formulas, you sub in the numbers and you get your answer. Everyone gets the same answer. If it's not the same answer it's wrong. What argument is there in that? How can you possibly argue when there's only one right answer, only one side. What you really mean is, you have to show your working clearly wth, is with this throwing big words into maths thing? You don't USE words in maths, except possibly for reasoning in geometry.
Have you had really bad teachers, or bad experiences with maths classes?

mjgeneral

HSC
Agreed with Raaaaaay. And incorrect, Maths requires logical argument, geometry is a classic example. You state your proof, by doing this you make your point, and your arguing your way through. Maths tests ur logical reasoning behind it all. Geometry is considered as one one of the harder areas of maths because it requires intense deductive reasoning. AND FFS for the last F-ing time maths isnt applying formulas. The people that think that will fail 3unit and wont even stand a chance in 4u. You need understanding in the topic, not just applying a simple formula, thats yr10 work. Mathematicians have always been regarded as the more educated type of person, because they possess that high order of thinking. And not to mention, there is a method in maths where you prove the other wrong, and thus your statement is correct. This is known as reductio ad absurdum (reducing to absurdity), a type of geometric proof. Don't argue against mathematics unless you know your facts, because theres a lot of indepth reasoning behind it which your not aware of

Last edited:

Jachie

HSC
I don't need indepth reasoning dullard, I have opinions.

maths is aids, period. I know what 10% off a $30 cardigan is, I can add and subtract and multiply and even divide if I need to, and you know what? I'm going to be able to get by just fine in life, with or without pythagoras or calculus. does this make me "less educated" than you? perhaps. let's judge ten years from now when you're a fucking electrician and I'm paying your wages k?

cfair

Banned
HSC
Jachie said:
I don't need indepth reasoning dullard, I have opinions.

maths is aids, period. I know what 10% off a $30 cardigan is, I can add and subtract and multiply and even divide if I need to, and you know what? I'm going to be able to get by just fine in life, with or without pythagoras or calculus. does this make me "less educated" than you? perhaps. let's judge ten years from now when you're a fucking electrician and I'm paying your wages k?
sick burn jachie, but there is a few faults in your logic.

in 10 years time you'll have stretch marks, a scar from a c-section and 4 little gingers running around, you won't be paying wages.

Jachie

HSC
sif. i'll just become a lesbian, that'll solve that problem.

OMG OMG OMG POST COUNT OMG olololol

cfair

Banned
HSC
if you become a lesbian that therefore restricts you to teaching PE at my school, so you still won't be paying wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)