The Da Vinci Code (1 Viewer)

persephone

HSC
i haven't become cynical of the bible because i remembered that the da vinci code is a novel. and the bible is not really an accurate record of anything either.

and as for that amelie chick playing sophie, but (i probably just made this up) I thought that sophie was blonde, probably not but that was the image in my head.

and i hate the fact that tom hanks is going to be robert langdon.

fatmuscle

HSC
for those of you who don't want Tom Hanks to be Rob Langdon, who would you pick?

(i have no special preference, just asking.)

Acid

HSC
I bought the book a while ago but haven't gotten around to reading much of it yet. I think i'll pick it back up again tonight...

little+mermaid

HSC
when i was in the US about 3 months ago we brought a special edition illistrated version to the da vinci code. it is so easy to follow.....

i love the book and can't wait for the movie!!

persephone

HSC
fatmuscle said:
for those of you who don't want Tom Hanks to be Rob Langdon, who would you pick?

i wanted george clooney. that's who i was picturing. but he wouldn't have ability to pull it off though. but someone vaguely resembling george clooney. robert langdon has chicks falling all over him, if he looked like tom hanks no one would!

Last edited:

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
fatmuscle said:

Bill Pullman for some reason coz when i was reading DVC that's who i picture robert langdon to be

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
I've just finished reading 'Digital fortress' and 'Angels and demons'.....in my opinion DVC was very good but when u read all the other books it gets a bit...umm...boring coz it starts of the same...a professor with a beautiful cryptologist trying to unravel a mystery.....the whole mysterious side of the story has los its essence

fatmuscle

HSC
thaoroxy2001 said:
I've just finished reading 'Digital fortress' and 'Angels and demons'.....in my opinion DVC was very good but when u read all the other books it gets a bit...umm...boring coz it starts of the same...a professor with a beautiful cryptologist trying to unravel a mystery.....the whole mysterious side of the story has los its essence
lol yes, all 4 are generally the same.

btw, to answer my own Q about actor,

Harrison Ford in his Indiana Jones days :p
but currently... um...
who's played both geek role and semi-action movies b4?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
im only at the start of the book now. i argue with myself as whether some facts are true or not. like how he explains why the Olympics occur every four years is very very in dept and clever. i dont know if its true or not but its well thought out!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
shellybelly087 said:
im only at the start of the book now. i argue with myself as whether some facts are true or not. like how he explains why the Olympics occur every four years is very very in dept and clever. i dont know if its true or not but its well thought out!
It's a fictional book, appreciate it as one.

imhere4themusic

flied lice
HSC
jumb said:
It's a fictional book, appreciate it as one.
Good point, it's still a great book. The guy obviously writes suspense very well. His other books follow the same format, at least Angels and Demons anyway.

Pierotte

HSC
WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THE HYPE SURROUNDING THIS BOOK!!?? i mean doesnt anyone else feel its just really NOT THAT GREAT... i find it rather conformist in soooo many ways/ i dont see anything special about it. i have read a TON of books millions of times better than this one. I just HAD to read it cuz i felt i may have been missing out... its... its... ugh! its crap! why does everyone keep saying its so damn good? GET YOUR OWN BLOODY OPINIONS!!! read it for what it is, not because of its reviews... im really at a loss... i dont understand! ITS JUST NOT JUSTIFYABLE! Geez the author Dan whatever ( i refuse to remeber his name at the moment) is sooo lucky to get soooo much fame over such a mediocre book... he should eat it up i ... just dont understand how it will last!!!

ok, ok before i get abused, its not crap... its a just a very ordinary peice of work... exciting - yes,
an interesting read - yes,
a good example of the genre- yes
a ground shatteringly good novel that deserves all the admiration - fuck no!

sigh...

Abbeygale

HSC
I bought a copy of the Da Vinci Code for $7 in Vietnam. Had I known ahead of time what a crappy book it was I would have bartered him down to $3.50. It certainly wasn't worth $7.

I think Dan Brown did a lot of research, probably of dubious quality, and was so proud of how much research he did that he felt the need to put absolutely everything he found out in the book. It will be easy to cut it down to a 120 minute film, because they'll be able to cut out every single instance of the book flashing back to one of Langdon's irrelevant lectures.

I assume that most people on this thread have read the book, but here's a spoiler warning anyway.

People who do Crime Fiction for EE1 might know that as a murder mystery, it breaks one of the fundamental rules (and doesn't do it in a way that improves the book). Brown doesn't play fair with the reader- the investigators know things that are hidden from the reader. And he does it in the same way that a five year old teases a dog with a biscuit- 'I'm going to give it to you, oh wait, no I'm not, hahahaha' until I didn't care how the body was positioned, what Sophie saw her grandfather doing in the basement or what Aringarosa went to Rome to talk about six months ago. The clues are known to the investigators, but are only released to the reader line by line. I assume this is to give Langdon a head start, since his ability to solve codes is laughable. I solved most of them ages before the main characters did, and last time I checked I'm not a symbologist or trained cryptologist.

And if you're protecting something as important as the location of the Holy Grail, not to mention your precious wife and grandson, why oh why would one of the protective codes be as absurdly simple as backwards writing?

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
I FINISHED IT!!!! yay and i have to say, its the second best book ive ever read!

Sasky

HSC
They're having a documentary on channel 7 on Wednesday on the truth behind the "Da Vinci"

Looks interesting. I'm definetly watching it.

Check it out people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)