HSC
anyone going?!?! Luna Park 13th April. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! These boys are legends

retrograde

lawn posse
HSC
Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Please excuse me while I laugh up a lung.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
fuck eyah darkness ROCK hard. i'm goin to the gig for sure

love 70's rock

iwannarock

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! They are lame fucking wankers. Seriously Their songs lack originality and the screaming thing he does isn't even original. Heaps of singers did it before him. And they're full of themselves.

Their songs are gay too.
99% of western music from the 1990s or so onwards is unoriginal in some way shape or form. the darkness are fun.

obviously the high pitched screaming he does isn't original, neither is pentatonic wanking really fast with a wah pedal ala kirk hammet but obviously you still like that guy. some people like things no matter how unoriginal they are.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hammett is a decent guitarist, nowhere near the 'no better guitar player' and certainly not earth shattering by any length of the imagination. He may be sound technically, but by no means as creative as some of the other guitar players.

The Darkness are a fun band to listen to, and i don't think they take themselves too seriously.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Not at all, I'm more a fan of power metal and guys like Dave Murray, but at the same time a big fan of the raw emotion that Clapton, Santana and co can evoke from their guitars.

I once idolised Hammett and to an extent I do owe him for getting me into solo-ing, but having heard quite a few other guitarists, his exploits do sound rather similar and more of a habit thing. Four Horsemen, Orion and Seek and Destroy remain some of my favourite songs to play so I'm not a Hammett basher, neither am I a Hammett-tite :)

*anyway back on topic* :p

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
yes i'm going. I'm all for anything 80's hair/thrash metal usually, and some of the songs the darkness play and the attitude they take is a good combo of that kinda music (but then again some of their other songs are a bit too...err...spaced out for me :p)...i got nothing against them (sounds like acdc meets queen now that i think of it).

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
Damage Inc. said:
I don't see how The Darkness could be classifed as thrash metal. At all.
i was referring to the hair metal part of that combo (as i said, acdc meets queen) :hammer:

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol i love most of their songs, and i LOVE the way they dress. how can they be unorginial?! ive never seen anyone else like them!! YAY i cant wait

iwannarock

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Yeah, here we go, The "Kirk Hammett uses the wah pedal to much in his solos" whinge.

I suggest you listen to the early Metallica solos (off RTL & MOP, maybe AJFA). The wah is used very sparingly and in my opinion, there is no better guitar player, when it comes to writing awesome solos, then Hammett.

I will admit the wah was used excessively in The Black Album. Doesn't mean the solos didn't own.

I don't see how you could call him unoriginal...
from black album onwards, he became wah pedal obsessed. just look at load.

then with his collaboration with santana......i heard it........hammets solo begins.......and whata you know......a wah pedal.

i like how his solos are like a song within a song, but sometimes.....they just really dont fit or go no where. his vibrato is bad too.

my point was that he isn't too original. its not a bad thing. most of hammets licks are direct copies of michael schenker's from UFO. hammet even says that himself.

way off topic now, but yeah. darkness have nothing on thin lizzy and all of the 80's bands anyway.

gnrlies

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! They are lame fucking wankers. Seriously Their songs lack originality and the screaming thing he does isn't even original. Heaps of singers did it before him. And they're full of themselves.

Their songs are gay too.
Metallica is even gayer

At least they dont take themselves seriously when looking ridiculous on stage (unlike metallica). Thats part of the fun, and by the way there songs are great. Some good riffs, and he's good a good voice.

gnrlies

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Yeah, here we go, The "Kirk Hammett uses the wah pedal to much in his solos" whinge.

I suggest you listen to the early Metallica solos (off RTL & MOP, maybe AJFA). The wah is used very sparingly and in my opinion, there is no better guitar player, when it comes to writing awesome solos, then Hammett.

I will admit the wah was used excessively in The Black Album. Doesn't mean the solos didn't own.

I don't see how you could call him unoriginal...
Kirk hammet is original, but his solos are boring as batshit.

gnrlies

HSC
Damage Inc. said:
Our opinions differ then.

I would guess you like Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen because of their peerless guitar playing ability. However, I think there is more to playing the guitar than knowing every single scale known to man and the ability to play them at an insane speed. You aren't the best guitar player just because you're faster than someone else.

Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen all sound boring compared to listening to Hammett. Wow, they're creative, that doesn't really mean anything. They're still rather boring to listen to.
Ive got a feeling he is saying the exact same thing as you not disagreeing. What he IS saying, (and I agree with him) is that kirk hammet is a more technically orientated guitarist but is boring to listen to. His solos are completely unmelodic

HSC
Shell said:
lol i love most of their songs, and i LOVE the way they dress. how can they be unorginial?! ive never seen anyone else like them!! YAY i cant wait

Yeah, I've never seen any clothes anything like they wear EVER BEFORE! :eek:

On a serious note though, I think The Darkness are a pretty fun band. I enjoy their music (Sparingly, I wouldn't blast it 24/7 or anything), and think they've got a fun image going on, but anyone calling anything they do hugely innovative or original needs a longer memory, or better research skills.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
well obviously people have worn catsuits before.

BUT nobody except the darkness is wearing a catsuit NOW.
*thinks really hard to make sure nobody is wearing one... *

the darkness wont have the lifespan of metallica, but theyre fun while they last.

whats with the metallica bashing? it sounds good. let it be.

I DIG MUSIC!

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
scarybunny said:
well obviously people have worn catsuits before.

BUT nobody except the darkness is wearing a catsuit NOW.
*thinks really hard to make sure nobody is wearing one... *

the darkness wont have the lifespan of metallica, but theyre fun while they last.

whats with the metallica bashing? it sounds good. let it be.

I DIG MUSIC!
I agree, The darkness is fun to listen to but i don't think they will have anywhere near the lastability or influence of metallica...Metallica got me into the whole thrash genre (their earlier stuff anyway, of late i've been listening to alot more mustaine/friedman megadeth), i don't think the darkness will be remembered as well down the track, but it's still great to see a new band reviving some memories of 80's rock.

as for catsuits and glam gear....motley crue, kiss? :p (but yeah i get where you're coming from, i can't really think of any 'new' bands around doing that sorta thing) :)

wanton-wonton

HSC
ogmzergrush said:

Yeah, I've never seen any clothes anything like they wear EVER BEFORE! :eek:

On a serious note though, I think The Darkness are a pretty fun band. I enjoy their music (Sparingly, I wouldn't blast it 24/7 or anything), and think they've got a fun image going on, but anyone calling anything they do hugely innovative or original needs a longer memory, or better research skills.
Ahh, Rob Halford and Freddy Mercury...who would've thought...

RedTape

HSC
Did anyone else see an article posted on the Metal Hammer website on April Fools Day 2004 (I think it was) claiming that The Darkness were taking AC/DC to court for rift thefts?

"Metal Hammer reports: In a shock turn of events, Brit glam rockers The Darkness are taking AC/DC to court over alleged "riff thefts".

"They just couldn't help themselves could they?" exclaimed The Darkness' singer Justin Hawkins. "'Back In Black'? That's just 'Black Shuck' with a different title innit? As for 'Highway To Hell', well that's just 'Love Is Only A Feeling' speeded up!" The writ was filed this morning after The Darkness successfully sued Queen on similar grounds"

On the same day they released more articles claiming that Justin Timberlake had joined Chimaira and Amen were doing showtunes.

It was rather amusing... Although I did believe the Darkness article at first >.> Shh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)