The eating disorder thread [trigger warning] (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Please keep on topic and show respect to each other. Failure to do so will result in infractions from now on. Given the sensitivities around these issues, especially for young women (who frequent this website) the mods will be watching this thread very closely.

kfnmpah

HSC
Thank you, townie, you are a gem.

Hey Rebecca, Wasted is pretty good.

just going to throw it out there; it could potentially be quite triggering but I think it is important.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, but like, white rice is empty carbs and going on a white rice diet is a stupid idea and no one should do it ever, so I don't understand why that got deleted.

kfnmpah

HSC
Okay, but like, white rice is empty carbs and going on a white rice diet is a stupid idea and no one should do it ever, so I don't understand why that got deleted.
you should have maybe said something more like this in the first place

i mean there is nothing wrong with eating white rice, i had sushi for lunch today. but saying it the way you did makes it sounds evil and that is not something someone who is suffering from an ED or could potentially get an ED needs to hear.

and it's not the fact that it's "empty carbs" it's the fact that a white rice diet contains no protein, no essential fats, and not enough vitamins and minerals to sustain a human being.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
you should have maybe said something more like this in the first place

i mean there is nothing wrong with eating white rice, i had sushi for lunch today. but saying it the way you did makes it sounds evil and that is not something someone who is suffering from an ED or could potentially get an ED needs to hear.

and it's not the fact that it's "empty carbs" it's the fact that a white rice diet contains no protein, no essential fats, and not enough vitamins and minerals to sustain a human being.
Well, I meant having a diet which is primarily white rice is bad, anyone that read anything else is crazy.

That's what empty carbs is, it's just carbs and nothing else beneficial at all, hence "empty carbs."

enoilgam

HSC
I have a question (it might be a stupid one), but what is the driving motive behind an eating disorder? Is it primarily a body image thing or more motivated by some compulsion?

kfnmpah

HSC
Well, I meant having a diet which is primarily white rice is bad, anyone that read anything else is crazy.

That's what empty carbs is, it's just carbs and nothing else beneficial at all, hence "empty carbs."
crazy, hey. you might even say they have a mental disorder ???

look i understand, but you are not promoting a healthy relationship with food ok.

I have a question (it might be a stupid one), but what is the driving motive behind an eating disorder? Is it primarily a body image thing or more motivated by some compulsion?
it's different for everyone. eating disorders all start for very different reasons, a lot of the time it's power and control. There's also a chicken-egg situation with depression and anorexia nervosa.

I don't really know what *drives* it once it's got you (NOTE: you do not get anorexia, imo, it gets you). I guess after a while it's part of you. this voice that's taken over your head what are you meant to do without it??? for me, I equate it to people in jail who commit crimes when they are released because they can't cope in the outside world without serious help.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

look i understand, but you are not promoting a healthy relationship with food ok.
Yes, it was very subtle black humour, thanks for picking up on it.

Well, I actually was, what are you a dietician? No. And rice is really just carbs in a white wrapper, nothing else, so saying people shouldn't have a diet based on it isn't bad. What wrong you?

kfnmpah

HSC
Jarrod stop arguing for the sake of it. I do not understand what you are trying to achieve other than acting like a precocious little twat with no consideration for how people whose lives revolve around food are going to react to what you are saying. You are not doing it in an appropriate manner.

Black humour is not appreciated ITT. Unless you have something of value to add to this thread please just show some decorum and leave well enough alone.

The point is a healthy relationship with food. It's not all about the macronutrients and the this and that it's about being able to eat to your appetite without overwhelming feelings of guilt and worthlessness. Obviously a diet based on white rice is not wise, but you need to think about how you say things before you do it.

enoilgam

HSC

it's different for everyone. eating disorders all start for very different reasons, a lot of the time it's power and control. There's also a chicken-egg situation with depression and anorexia nervosa.

I don't really know what *drives* it once it's got you (NOTE: you do not get anorexia, imo, it gets you). I guess after a while it's part of you. this voice that's taken over your head what are you meant to do without it??? for me, I equate it to people in jail who commit crimes when they are released because they can't cope in the outside world without serious help.
I kind of figured it wasn't as simple as being solely about body image - the power and control thing does make some sense.

enoilgam

HSC
Guys, this thread is about a sensitive topic. Take any personal issues you may have with each other to PM.

kfnmpah

HSC
Guys, this thread is about a sensitive topic. Take any personal issues you may have with each other to PM.
i do not have a personal issue with jarrod whatsoever
can you please delete that post (i have made a thread in contact mods)
i tried, his inbox is full.

ladiesman217_

(V)(°,,°)(V)
HSC
All eating disorders are equally terrible an should be treated as such.

Once I took 27 laxatives to compensate for eating some pasta or something (27, because 27 is 3 x 3 x 3 or 3^3 and you know OCD whaddup) and it was one of the most painful things I have ever experienced.

Laxative abuse. Terrible stuff.
wow.....

kfnmpah

HSC
yeah the OCD was around only when i was at my sickest (another form of control i guess)

i physically could not get out of bed unless the numbers on my alarm clock were divisible by 3.

I am fine now, though. but yep. People do not understand that eating disorders are not just 'i want to be skinny i will stop eating'. An array of other things come with them and it has nothing to do with wanting to look a certain way except sick.

RANK 1

HSC
i dont understand what makes you feel that you have to eat/not eat whatever, is it a lack of will power or is it something outside of your control

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
It blows my mind that so many people know absolutely nothing about mental illness.

Like, wouldn't you read about it or want to learn about it etc seeing as though 1/3 people are going to have some form of it.

kfnmpah

HSC
both

it's not a conscious decision, like a i said it's a voice in your head and the more you do what it says the more it takes over and eventually you are an empty shell

i actually have about 8-10 months of memory loss because i wasn't in control of my mind/body

RANK 1

HSC
both

it's not a conscious decision, like a i said it's a voice in your head and the more you do what it says the more it takes over and eventually you are an empty shell

i actually have about 8-10 months of memory loss because i wasn't in control of my mind/body
so is it something you can fight with sheer will power

Tasteless

HSC
It blows my mind that so many people know absolutely nothing about mental illness.

Like, wouldn't you read about it or want to learn about it etc seeing as though 1/3 people are going to have some form of it.
It just feels really wishy washy because (as i understand it) it affects everyone differently and there's going to be different triggers for everyone and idk it just seems like something not even bothering with outside an individual level unless in very very generic terms to me.

Not gunna lie, I haven't got much insight into EDs at all, people have discussed them and I've always been thoroughly confused due to their complexity and various ways they manifest themselves in different people and also ways people have overcome them which make absolutely no sense to me. It's just a really foreign concept that seems hard for me to understand without actually going through it or being close to someone who is currently going through it, which I haven't.

Thread has been a bit enlightening though and will likely continue to be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)