The Essays (1 Viewer)

crimsonking

HSC
Just a few questions about the essays before the exams.

1. Are you guys focusing on one type of essay? E.g. effectiveness, reform, morality, issue/remedies? I heard they are all interrelated, so it doesn't really matter.

2. When writing an 'effectiveness' essay, what's this business i've been eharing how you have to compare the individuals rights with those of soceity? Would this still be the case for consumers where the society isn't really involved?

poopoohead

HSC
I'm going to go thru the syllabus and make sure i can write an essay on each of the major areas- law reform, effectiveness etc. Yeah they are all pretty much closely related- i think.

With the effectiveness essay, you don't have to compare justice for individuals and justice for society- unless specifically asked (like in 2003)

I'm not sure what u mean about society not really being involved in consumers tho? please explain

HSC smells like old cheese

crimsonking

HSC
WEll, can you tell me how society is involved in consumer law? (No snipe)

I was asking my sister and she was saying something like, society is only involved in regards to gaining knowledge about how to gain remedies.

So if a question is like 'effectiveness....in protecting...gaining remediy...consumers' I wouldn't have to use the soceity criteria? Only PEARE?

RainbowStylin'

HSC
poopoohead said:
With the effectiveness essay, you don't have to compare justice for individuals and justice for society- unless specifically asked (like in 2003)

really? i would have though it would be essential to mention indivduals, society and nation state anyway because they are the headings in the syllabus for effectiveness. and it helps in order to evaluate effectiveness in terms of equality, accessibily etc

i'm also going through making sure i can write an essay on all the sections of the syllabus (particularly the main ones like iissues/remedies and effectiveness), i think it's the safest way.

do ppl plan on memorising essays, or points or otherwise??

n@ttyb

HSC
lol im having fun with legal studies.... i have to learn both selective topics... shelter and family.... never learnt them ....

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
n@ttyb said:
lol im having fun with legal studies.... i have to learn both selective topics... shelter and family.... never learnt them ....
.....what do you mean you haven't learnt them :confused:

RainbowStylin': I'm planning on memorising the key points, as well as all the important acts.

how do you guys remember the dates? like I know most of the acts, it's just that I can never remember the dates :'(

n@ttyb

HSC
you no... like never actually looked at work. In my trials i didint no what one of my electives were so i had to guess lol

poopoohead

HSC
crimsonking said:
WEll, can you tell me how society is involved in consumer law? (No snipe)

I was asking my sister and she was saying something like, society is only involved in regards to gaining knowledge about how to gain remedies.
i wasnt suggesting u were wrong-i just didnt know what u meant- i got confused cos i thought society is involved cos it is in the syllabus??? o dear u got me confused now. i thought society is involved significantly because of the individual being part of society itself (particularly true because of 'everone being a consumer')- as well as the need for the law to change as a result of societys changing expectations eg the gradual movement away from the laisezz fare philosophy and notion of 'caveot emptor'. so society is involved heavily in law reform. i dont know. im going to cry

really? i would have though it would be essential to mention indivduals, society and nation state anyway because they are the headings in the syllabus for effectiveness. and it helps in order to evaluate effectiveness in terms of equality, accessibily etc
yeah ur right. but legal studies is pretty good in the sense that u can talk about alot- questions are generally pretty broad- like in 2003

do ppl plan on memorising essays, or points or otherwise??
i dont think im going to memorise essays- just the points- and especially the legislation/cases etc

i have memorised essays in the past. but i generally did much better in the ones i didnt memorise than in the one's i did- i found it too hard to adapt to the question

RainbowStylin'

HSC
n@ttyb said:
you no... like never actually looked at work. In my trials i didint no what one of my electives were so i had to guess lol
ohh oo...:burn:

and about remembering the dates

they are the hardest bit! i try to learn the legislation in chronological order as it seems to jog my memory for what date comes next. otherwise just read it over and over and over and over and over again until the legislation and the date are inseperable.. it very annoying/boring but works..

if ur brain is REALLY unco-operative when u get into the exam scribble the intials of the acts and the year down... i have a tendency for mind blanks mid way through the essay..

yeah fully memorised essay= potential hsc suicide
i'll memorise a framework for the essay, point and yeah of course LCMD

crimsonking

HSC
Is it necessary to remember the years? E.g. If two people wrote exactly the same essay, but one left out the years, they would get the same mark right?

Either way, I find it easier to remember legislation rather than cases (the chronological thing isn't a bad idea btw), better start remembering some media reports now.

RainbowStylin'

HSC
crimsonking said:
Is it necessary to remember the years? E.g. If two people wrote exactly the same essay, but one left out the years, they would get the same mark right?
possibilily not, but i'm not sure. we have ALWAYS been told to use dates for all legislation, cases and media! and also to specify whether or not it's a commonwealth or state legislation. i think dates just show are further depth of knowlegde and are more likely to impress the marker...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)