The Football Thread (4 Viewers)

veridis

droog
HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

wow you really are fucked arent you, you don't even know the first thing about who your team has signed.
where's your south american flair? hernandez is from costa rica
as for keenan he was playing left wing for chelski reserves when he broke his leg and has been subbed on to replace zola on the wing in other games. but no you read in the newspaper that he's a left back so obviously he will never even be considered as a left winger.
i know pantelidis will play where needed, but i'm saying he's still a better midfield option than broxham, meaning broxham will get shit all gametime, potentially hampering his development. you have to give your young guns gametime to let them develop(ie milligan, toporstanley, timpano, zadkovich). having a shitload of 18yos on the bench does nothing(ie brockie, broxham). as for "the fact they chose melbourne shows a lot" that just shows they prefer getting paid
and good to see you're not bitter about milligan going to the world cup. are you going to take the same view about archie? just because he didn't get gametime it doesnt matter. i'm glad you think marquees are bullshit, be sure to tell archie that as well.

can you say owned?

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC

I thought Archie Thompson wasn't there marquee player?

veridis

droog
HSC

thompson definitely started out marquee, they might try to bring him under the cap for the coming season cause they have a bit of room to spare. nobody really knows anything cause victory keep their contract agreements pretty much confidential. if only some of the other clubs had a few less media leaks. archie was never confirmed as marquee but never officially denied either

from the world game "Thompson was the Victory's marquee player last season"(in reference to v1)
http://www6.sbs.com.au/a-league/index.php?pid=st&cid=71020&section=st&tid=146

edit - and i thought of another thing, sk tried to bag out queensland for not having victory's "south american flair" when right now roar have 1 brazilian, while melbourne have no south americans. i wont even get into the stupidity of buying random south americans when carle, carney and corica have been better and more creative than all south americans so far bar fred.

Last edited:

sk1001

HSC

veridis said:
wow you really are fucked arent you, you don't even know the first thing about who your team has signed.
where's your south american flair? hernandez is from costa rica
as for keenan he was playing left wing for chelski reserves when he broke his leg and has been subbed on to replace zola on the wing in other games. but no you read in the newspaper that he's a left back so obviously he will never even be considered as a left winger.
i know pantelidis will play where needed, but i'm saying he's still a better midfield option than broxham, meaning broxham will get shit all gametime, potentially hampering his development. you have to give your young guns gametime to let them develop(ie milligan, toporstanley, timpano, zadkovich). having a shitload of 18yos on the bench does nothing(ie brockie, broxham). as for "the fact they chose melbourne shows a lot" that just shows they prefer getting paid
and good to see you're not bitter about milligan going to the world cup. are you going to take the same view about archie? just because he didn't get gametime it doesnt matter. i'm glad you think marquees are bullshit, be sure to tell archie that as well.

can you say owned?
Bitch please. Costa Rica may be in Central America, but in terms of playing style you know exactly what I mean. As for other teams bringing South Americans, mainly Brazilians, into their teams surely Melbourne must get some credit. Before MVFC lured the trio from Rio, who would have even thought about scouting the region? Sydney, Perth and Queensland all went the Division 1 old English hack route. While the trio is now defunct, it has surely paved the way for more South Americans to come over, point in case being Wellington.

Keenan will be playing left wing back in Melbourne's 3-5-2 formation and was well on his way to establishing himself in the starting XI under Ranieri before he broke his leg.

Broxham will get game time, there's no doubt about that. How can you assume Melbourne will go 21 games without injuries or suspensions? Surely Muscat will be sent off at least once this season....

As for Topor-Stanley, I can only laugh. One only needs to look back at round 21 against QLD to see how utterly shite this player is. Lacks the most simple of ball skills, how he is in the Olyroos squad puzzles me.

So Archie was in the WC squad, big whoop same deal. I didn't bring up that point in the first place. He didn't play any of the games but since you want to dive into that, at least he played in the first leg against Uruguay.

While he was our original marquee, at least we have managed to hold on to him. There's a big difference between the mentality of Sydney and Melbourne. For how long now has Sydney been looking for a marquee? I'll repeat the names again. Zola, Di Canio, Okocha, Sherringham, Cocu, Vieri, probably even another half dozen. My point is, why don't SFC do something mildly intelligent like send a scout to South America or Asia or Africa?

Veridis, how can you say buying random South Americans is stupid? Fred came here as a nobody, and left with credibility. Club(s) wanted to buy him. How can you say that on an A-League whole that is not a success. Sure we would have liked to keep him, but not to matter, we have found another diamond in the rough. Adelaide's Diego has also been a success. As for Carle, he has South American heritage and definitely plays like one. How can you say you wouldn't like to see more of that in the A-League? I wish every team had a player like Nicky Carle....

Last edited:

mat2154

HSC

on the topic of south americans i think that wellington have done pretty well in terms of recruitment, cleberson was an ex sao paulo and psv eindhoven player, felipe used to play for hajduk split, and daniel has a full international brazilian cap. if they can keep it tight at the back with the likes of dodd and ex-mls kiwi lochhead, they could seriously be a threat for a top 4 spot.

sk1001

HSC

mat2154 said:
on the topic of south americans i think that wellington have done pretty well in terms of recruitment, cleberson was an ex sao paulo and psv eindhoven player, felipe used to play for hajduk split, and daniel has a full international brazilian cap. if they can keep it tight at the back with the likes of dodd and ex-mls kiwi lochhead, they could seriously be a threat for a top 4 spot.
Strongly agree. With Herbert at the coach we finally have an 8 team league. The bloke nows what he is doing, just look at the results towards the end of the season. They will be entertaining team to watch, I look forward to round 1.

veridis

droog
HSC

i'm not saying recruiting from SA is stupid, i'm saying the blind faith you display in SA players yet willingness to bag out a yank you admit to know nothing about shows you're conpletely lost. SA players, just like any other players, come good and bad. Fred was good, the other two were a waste. good on you for recruiting the trio, you took a risk and one of them paid off, but two of them were pretty much useless, no better than local boys. what is wrong with signing "first division hacks" if it's bringing aussies home and getting them to develop the local game. surely that is one of the aims of the aleague. are you seriously going to try and argue that sydney's players from lower leagues in UK, namely Corica, Carney and McFlynn, were as a trio worse than your Brazillians? sure scout SA, you'll find some good players, but dont be blinded and blow a load over anyone from south america yet hate all recruits from england.
and if it's only the style why bother saying south american. do you really think allesandro played with more creativity and flair down at right back than people like corica or burns in the attacking thrid for their teams? yes we want attacknig creative players but why do they have to come from south america. sure you found a good one there, but wait until you actualy see casey or enfield play before going "omg not from SA, must be shit". just makes you look stupid and closed minded, much like trying to claim Carle as a SA player.

and yes sydney fc being close to signing john aloisi, really stupid, would be much better to sign some random south american. you also don't seem to grasp the concept of marquee, is sydney wanted a SA they'd do it inside the cap, the main advantage of SAs is that they are cheap. the whole marquee system allows us to spend outside the cap, but forces us to spend big and look for a big name player. many big name players in brazillian serie b are there?

there are many ways to run a football team, nobody is doing it pefectly yet but in the long run using all options available to you is going to make a better them than simply signing all SA with no "first division hacks" and can i remind you that muscat, brebner, allsop, keenan and theoklitos all came to you through the UK. stop being so narrow minded.

sk1001

HSC

veridis said:
i'm not saying recruiting from SA is stupid, i'm saying the blind faith you display in SA players yet willingness to bag out a yank you admit to know nothing about shows you're conpletely lost. SA players, just like any other players, come good and bad. Fred was good, the other two were a waste. good on you for recruiting the trio, you took a risk and one of them paid off, but two of them were pretty much useless, no better than local boys. what is wrong with signing "first division hacks" if it's bringing aussies home and getting them to develop the local game. surely that is one of the aims of the aleague. are you seriously going to try and argue that sydney's players from lower leagues in UK, namely Corica, Carney and McFlynn, were as a trio worse than your Brazillians? sure scout SA, you'll find some good players, but dont be blinded and blow a load over anyone from south america yet hate all recruits from england.
and if it's only the style why bother saying south american. do you really think allesandro played with more creativity and flair down at right back than people like corica or burns in the attacking thrid for their teams? yes we want attacknig creative players but why do they have to come from south america. sure you found a good one there, but wait until you actualy see casey or enfield play before going "omg not from SA, must be shit". just makes you look stupid and closed minded, much like trying to claim Carle as a SA player.

and yes sydney fc being close to signing john aloisi, really stupid, would be much better to sign some random south american. you also don't seem to grasp the concept of marquee, is sydney wanted a SA they'd do it inside the cap, the main advantage of SAs is that they are cheap. the whole marquee system allows us to spend outside the cap, but forces us to spend big and look for a big name player. many big name players in brazillian serie b are there?

there are many ways to run a football team, nobody is doing it pefectly yet but in the long run using all options available to you is going to make a better them than simply signing all SA with no "first division hacks" and can i remind you that muscat, brebner, allsop, keenan and theoklitos all came to you through the UK. stop being so narrow minded.
Blind faith and risk taking, there's a fine line and unfortunately you're having trouble finding it. The first step is sending a scout to SA, the second step is finding a player of quality. Unlike some of the other clubs, Sydney have not even thought of sending a scout overseas. As for this "yank", I'm not too sure who you are referring to..

Secondly, you are butchering my words. By first division hack, I mean UK players like Brian Deane. Yes, Muscat, Brebner, Allsopp, Keenan and Theoklitos have played in the UK before, but the difference is only Brebner and Keenan are foreigners. They are with Melbourne Victory now, they are proven and have proved themselves. Come season 4, Keenan may not be with MVFC, but the others have comitted themselves to the club, unlike a certain D. Yorke.

Why blow your cash on one marquee player? The option is there, but it doesn't have to be utilised. Melbourne has been able to accomodate several players, all of an acomplished standard, but Sydney feels the need to have a "glamourous" player. In a way I suppose they need it, after all it seems Sydney FC is having trouble getting a crowd. I'm still laughing at how Newcastle pulled a bigger crowd.

My final point on the South American style. It's beautiful to watch. The best way to get this flair is via South American players, but having said that, one does not have to be South American to play this "style". Again, this is where Nicky Carle comes in. He is/was an entertaining player and his heritage does influence the way he plays. Compare the "traditional" English style of play. Remember Terry Butcher? Not very fun to watch was it....

Last edited:

veridis

droog
HSC

the yank is marcus enfield, our most recent signings, and guess what, sydney did scout him. dont let your stupidity and lack of knowledge get in the way of your baseless accusations. we have also been scouting the left back from persik who branko noticed in the ACL. but you know, i'm sure while scouting these two overseas players sydney 'never even thought of sending a scout overseas'. if you know shit about the sydney squad then dont talk shit about it.

you admit keenan and brebner are first division hacks, and you exclude the rest purely on racist grounds. when you say South American you mean style not nationality, but when you say "first division" you mean nationality not having played in the first division. you really are one confused boy. if 'first division hack' just means foreigners how can you accuse sydney of this when the only pom we have is terry mcflynn, even your beloved melbourne have more 'first division hacks' according to your definition.

sydney is not 'blowing our cash' on a marquee player. we're still using all our salary cap, but we have more cash to spend so want to spend it on a marquee. a marquee will not hinder any of our other signings, indeed being able to play with a marquee like aloisi will probably help us attract other players. i'm pretty sure melbourne are still using their marquee status to give them more slalary cap room. sure they aren't paying them as much as we will aloisi but it makes no sense not to put your top earner on maruqee status so you can pay everyone inside the cap more. you don't need a glamour player i accept, but the sydney board chose to do so and when we had one, it worked. nobody can claim dwight wasn't good for the league.

for the last time 'south american' is not a style. if you value flair and creativity then say you want creative playermakers with flair, but acknowledge they can come from anywhere. we found a creative midfielder(backup for the quality australian we already had in corica) in america, you found one in costa rica, niether are south american. i wonder, if we had managed to get cocu as marquee would you have called him 'south american' for his style, hated him because marquees are stupid or dismissed him as a 'first division hack' cause he came from a lower euro league. all your arguments are based on simple stereotypes, judge a player for how he plays, not for what stupid labels you can stick on him without seeing him play.

oh and keep bagging out butcher, you can keep that coming. just make sure you bag him out for being tactically inept, a crap judge of player ability and a woeful motivator, not simply for being a pom.

Last edited:

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC

veridis said:
oh and keep bagging out butcher, you can keep that coming. just make sure you bag him out for being tactically inept, a crap judge of player ability and a woeful motivator, not simply for being a pom.
qft.

sk1001

HSC

veridis said:
the yank is marcus enfield, our most recent signings, and guess what, sydney did scout him. dont let your stupidity and lack of knowledge get in the way of your baseless accusations. we have also been scouting the left back from persik who branko noticed in the ACL. but you know, i'm sure while scouting these two overseas players sydney 'never even thought of sending a scout overseas'. if you know shit about the sydney squad then dont talk shit about it.

you admit keenan and brebner are first division hacks, and you exclude the rest purely on racist grounds. when you say South American you mean style not nationality, but when you say "first division" you mean nationality not having played in the first division. you really are one confused boy. if 'first division hack' just means foreigners how can you accuse sydney of this when the only pom we have is terry mcflynn, even your beloved melbourne have more 'first division hacks' according to your definition.

sydney is not 'blowing our cash' on a marquee player. we're still using all our salary cap, but we have more cash to spend so want to spend it on a marquee. a marquee will not hinder any of our other signings, indeed being able to play with a marquee like aloisi will probably help us attract other players. i'm pretty sure melbourne are still using their marquee status to give them more slalary cap room. sure they aren't paying them as much as we will aloisi but it makes no sense not to put your top earner on maruqee status so you can pay everyone inside the cap more. you don't need a glamour player i accept, but the sydney board chose to do so and when we had one, it worked. nobody can claim dwight wasn't good for the league.

for the last time 'south american' is not a style. if you value flair and creativity then say you want creative playermakers with flair, but acknowledge they can come from anywhere. we found a creative midfielder(backup for the quality australian we already had in corica) in america, you found one in costa rica, niether are south american. i wonder, if we had managed to get cocu as marquee would you have called him 'south american' for his style, hated him because marquees are stupid or dismissed him as a 'first division hack' cause he came from a lower euro league. all your arguments are based on simple stereotypes, judge a player for how he plays, not for what stupid labels you can stick on him without seeing him play.

Well, congratulations on signing the Yank, shame nobody really cares. As for the so called left back from Persik. You can hardly say you sent a scout. After all you saw him play against Sydney before you sent the scout.....

In regards to the "first division hacks" if you scroll down the page you will notice the exact phrase I used was "Division 1 old English hack". When I say this in relation to Sydney, Perth and Queensland like I originally did, I'm specifically talking about Yorke, Deane, and Lynch.

As for Butcher, don't accuse me of bagging him for being English. The style he enforced at Sydney FC was the same style used in the UK 20 years ago. Have a read of this...

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football/local-coaches-offer-lesson-for-sydney/2006/12/16/1166162369216.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

veridis

droog
HSC

sk1001 said:
Well, congratulations on signing the Yank, shame nobody really cares. As for the so called left back from Persik. You can hardly say you sent a scout. After all you saw him play against Sydney before you sent the scout.....
what happened to south american being a style not a nationality? you admit to knowing nothing about enfield so how on earth can you judge. your argument is fucked and you know it. we sent had people scouting for us in US and Indo but it doesn't fit your blinkered world view so you're trying to find ways around it. guess what, there was an aussie watching the trio before you scouted them, zorro was promoted by his agent to you before you scouted him(did you even send scouts over? do you even know? are you just talking bullshit?). nobody scouts blind, and if they do they are stupid.

In regards to the "first division hacks" if you scroll down the page you will notice the exact phrase I used was "Division 1 old English hack". When I say this in relation to Sydney, Perth and Queensland like I originally did, I'm specifically talking about Yorke, Deane, and Lynch.
meaning your argument is obsolete as all clubs have moved on from these players. but surely this trio paved the way for keenan just as much as your trio paved the way for wellington getting their brazillians. look who's getting english hacks now. seriously just acknowledge a good player is a good player. get your head out of your arse and admit they can come from everywhere, not just south america, which by your definition includes costa rica but doesn't extend as far north as the US. you're also stuffing up your geography by trying to claim yorke is english. he captained T&T at the world cup. you really need an atlas boy. not entirely sure how yorke counts as a hack either, he led sydney to the championship, and has commanded the largest transfer fee yet. if yorke is a hack i can't see how you can object to having more "English hacks" in the league.

As for Butcher, don't accuse me of bagging him for being English. The style he enforced at Sydney FC was the same style used in the UK 20 years ago. Have a read of this...
Again, this is where Nicky Carle comes in. He is/was an entertaining player and his heritage does influence the way he plays. Compare the "traditional" English style of play. Remember Terry Butcher?
contrasting someone of south american heritage to someone being English, i think you're very much playing the race card there and bagging him out for being english. i agree butcher was crap, but read the article you link, read my previous post, bag out butcher for what he is, not because you find it easy to stereotype him as english. yes fossie does generalise about the english style but he articulates what he means, not just your simplistic "lol english suck" and "south america FTW" bullshit. you somehow manage to find a way to claim anyone you like as south american but dismiss a yank you is easily more creative than either allesandro or claudinho simply because he plays for SFC.

now do you need to make another reply for me to rip apart and show how stupid your logic is or are you going to admit you were just whacking labels on where they don't fit(ie hernadez and carle are south american, yorke as an english hack) and start looking at players and coached for their technical and tactical attributes rather than their nationality.

Last edited:

sk1001

HSC

veridis said:
what happened to south american being a style not a nationality? you admit to knowing nothing about enfield so how on earth can you judge. your argument is fucked and you know it. we sent had people scouting for us in US and Indo but it doesn't fit your blinkered world view so you're trying to find ways around it. guess what, there was an aussie watching the trio before you scouted them, zorro was promoted by his agent to you before you scouted him(did you even send scouts over? do you even know? are you just talking bullshit?). nobody scouts blind, and if they do they are stupid.

meaning your argument is obsolete as all clubs have moved on from these players. but surely this trio paved the way for keenan just as much as your trio paved the way for wellington getting their brazillians. look who's getting english hacks now. seriously just acknowledge a good player is a good player. get your head out of your arse and admit they can come from everywhere, not just south america, which by your definition includes costa rica but doesn't extend as far north as the US. you're also stuffing up your geography by trying to claim yorke is english. he captained T&T at the world cup. you really need an atlas boy. not entirely sure how yorke counts as a hack either, he led sydney to the championship, and has commanded the largest transfer fee yet. if yorke is a hack i can't see how you can object to having more "English hacks" in the league.

contrasting someone of south american heritage to someone being English, i think you're very much playing the race card there and bagging him out for being english. i agree butcher was crap, but read the article you link, read my previous post, bag out butcher for what he is, not because you find it easy to stereotype him as english. yes fossie does generalise about the english style but he articulates what he means, not just your simplistic "lol english suck" and "south america FTW" bullshit. you somehow manage to find a way to claim anyone you like as south american but dismiss a yank you is easily more creative than either allesandro or claudinho simply because he plays for SFC.

now do you need to make another reply for me to rip apart and show how stupid your logic is or are you going to admit you were just whacking labels on where they don't fit(ie hernadez and carle are south american, yorke as an english hack) and start looking at players and coached for their technical and tactical attributes rather than their nationality.
OMG I've been ripped! I'll let Melbourne do the rest of the talking on the pitch.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A

Meh, I don't want to see Fowler at Sydney. I won't be supporting the team as long as he's here. I hope he doesn't come, really. If he does, then I guess I gotta cheer for the Mariners.

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC

saw robbie fowler last night at star city, didnt recognise him at first but my friend pointed him out, he was watchin the oman - thai game and drinking Heineken lol...

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC

Omg Robbie was at Star City last night? Damn.. was planning on going but came down with the flu. Goddammit

Me=Big Liverpool fan

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC

i don't see fowler as a 'marquee' player.
Marquee:
"superlative; headlining: a marquee basketball player."

he's past his prime by now.. and as for making headlines. Ufuk Talay would do better.

mat2154

HSC

robbie fowlers will probably sign for sydney, the only other clubs really interested are port vale. hes got enough money, hes got 70 houses and is the second richest footballer in england. the man city fans used to chant "we all live in a robbie fowler home"

Gilbert1

Humoures Pun
HSC

Fowler would be an unbelievable signing. I reckon he would have a bigger impact then Yorke ever had in terms of his oreformance plus the amount of support he will bring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)