The Football Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: The Official A-League Thread.

Vidmar cops suspended fine for outburst
February 18, 2009 - 7:14PM

Adelaide United coach Aurelio Vidmar has escaped serious penalty from A-League authorities for his now-infamous post-match rant in which he slammed his club.

Vidmar has been given a suspended fine of $2,000 for breaching soccer's national code of conduct, and will only have to pay it if he breaches the code again before or during round nine of next season.

In his post-match media conference following his side's dismal 4-0 major semi-final second leg loss to Melbourne Victory last weekend, Vidmar blamed "politics" for the defeat and labelled Adelaide "a pissant town" in reference to elements he accused of trying to undermine the club.

But Vidmar's previous good record and the fact his outburst was out of character for a coach noted for his cool demeanour were taken into account in determining his penalty, Football Federation Australia said.

"The basis for the suspension of the fine is Vidmar's previously exemplary behaviour, his genuine contrition, and the steps he has taken to apologise for his conduct," the FFA said in a statement.

Vidmar had been named A-League coach of the year just a fortnight earlier.

Adelaide United bosses had forgiven Vidmar for his outburst already, saying on Sunday he had their unconditional support, allowing him to keep his job.

Vidmar had also previously apologised to the people of Adelaide for any offence his remarks may have caused.

The Reds say now the FFA has delivered its verdict, they believe they can put the embarrassment behind them and regroup to get past Queensland Roar in their preliminary final in Adelaide on Saturday night.

"I think it has brought us closer together so that is a dangerous thing for the opposition," midfielder Lucas Pantelis said.

"It has been a tough week but that's all in the past and we're focusing on Saturday's game.

"The most important thing is that the players believe we can do it."

The preliminary final winners will play Melbourne in the grand final at Telstra Dome on February 28.

Meanwhile, Adelaide United's Brazilian midfielder Cassio has been fined $500 for making a rude gesture following his send-off in the major semi-final.

He will still miss the preliminary final because of the automatic one-match ban he received for his send-off, but would be available for the grand final if the Reds qualify.

Vidmar cops suspended fine for outburst

sk1001

HSC

The ffa is full of double standards. Cassio gets fined for the gesture, but when Tiatto did the two finger salute to Melbourne fans, nothing happened.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A

The ffa is full of double standards. Cassio gets fined for the gesture, but when Tiatto did the two finger salute to Melbourne fans, nothing happened.

i lol'd when cassio did that...

you could kinda see it coming with all the jeering and whatnot

ZaraKu

HSC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't half the FFA full of Sydney FC board members? biased much...

ZaraKu

HSC

Who won? I'm hoping it wasn't melbourne but it most likely was them.

johony

HSC

melbourne, which sucks.

ref should have given the free kick at that last moment

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC

why?
because sydney fc wasn't in it?

AHAHAHAH SUCK A FAT ONE MATE
When I move down to Mexico at the end of the year, I can't see myself as a Victory supporter. I. Just. Can't.

Not sure what i'll do. Probably focus more on league.

Sk1001, do you follow the AFL?

sk1001

HSC

No I do not follow the AFL, do you?

HSC

that's the way the motherfucking cookie crumbles!
yeah i don't give a fuck, but really, it's kind of sad that your avatar is a sydney fc logo crossed out rather than a melbourne victory one. how about you concentrate on your own club and celebrate a win instead of opportunistically taking shots at sydney?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)