The future of our Union (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
1. Whoever said wanting VSU was selfish, while at the same time declaring that everyone else should pay for their partying, should take a long, hard look in the mirror.
2. Anyone using the tax analogy can also get fucked, because taxes should be used pretty much exclusively for protection (police, judicial system, prisons, fire brigade etc) and environmental subsidies.
3. What about those people that choose to get more out of uni life by going to non-Union sponsored events with their uni friends? Why should they pay twice?
4. This year courtesy of the kind USyd student organisations charging for the whole year up front, I can't afford any text books, some of which are next to essential for my course. Being pro-VSU is not all about buying a few cases of beer instead of paying the fee, a lot of people really can't afford it.

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
withoutaface said:
1. Whoever said wanting VSU was selfish, while at the same time declaring that everyone else should pay for their partying, should take a long, hard look in the mirror.
2. Anyone using the tax analogy can also get fucked, because taxes should be used pretty much exclusively for protection (police, judicial system, prisons, fire brigade etc) and environmental subsidies.
3. What about those people that choose to get more out of uni life by going to non-Union sponsored events with their uni friends? Why should they pay twice?
1. difference of opinion = thats cool
2. im not talking exclusively about cheap alcohol and partying [as me+2drinks=asleep under the table therefore not particulary advantageous that drinks cost 30c less] but suervices like counciling, sunscreen, aeroguard, free contraception and kitchens/areas where you can chill out a bit. i know it seems like a lot of money for these sorts of services but they all have thier place... who would honestly bring sunscreen otherwise to uni...??? so the tax analogy is kinda valid, to a limited extent ill admit.
3. personal choice, i live an hour from uni so most things i go to are near home but paying the gsc isnt an issue.

i also realise usyd students pay slightly more per sememster than we do.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
sunscreen
Discriminates against black people. Secondly, I've never been sunburnt at uni, despite never wearing sunscreen.
aeroguard
Who cares about a few mozzie bites?
free contraception
Only provided in one size, hence discriminates against those with big/small members.
kitchens/areas where you can chill out a bit.
Private catering services can provide these.
i know it seems like a lot of money for these sorts of services but they all have thier place... who would honestly bring sunscreen otherwise to uni...??? so the tax analogy is kinda valid, to a limited extent ill admit.
Do any of these services act as an integral part of ensuring that my liberties are not trespassed by others? No? Then the tax analogy is not valid.
3. personal choice, i live an hour from uni so most things i go to are near home but paying the gsc isnt an issue.
If you don't use the union facilities then why pay?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I'm for VSU for the simple matter of efficiency. In no possible way, will I ever in a semester use $187 worth of unionism, so it's a waste.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Who cares about a few mozzie bites?
As was said, come to Newcastle, you won't be saying that.

On the note of VSU, I hear Watt Space will be going.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
why should everyone pay taxes when x% goes toward nursing homes for the elderly and preschools for the young? perhaps because these services are essential...

the arguement your making is pretty selfish which i think is pretty typical of the attitude of a number of students ive spoken to about it, but were probably poorer than you, considering that your able to work a 9-5 week and earn decent money... we all have rent/food/clothing costs but also value the culture of the uni.

perhaps your circumstances are extenuating but on the whole, your attitude, which is indicative of stacks of others is wrong... its like opting out of [dare i use the same example again] taxes and still expecting basic services. perhaps you PERSONALLY don't have the opportunity to utilise some services but by paying the gsc, the offer is there. you CAN go join the forum at halfprice!!! [which is open 6-10!], you CAN attend special events even if you choose not to the offer is still there by paying your gsc. THe arguement im making isnt about you personally but moreso your attitude.

its starting to look like it might be just jess and i paying up next semester... hmmm
firstly, we will all be old someday, so will most likely need nursing homes. I on the other ahdn will never need any of the services offered by the union, so why should i have to pay for them. also, most nursing homes are operated by churches, so there goes that argument. dont compare this to taxes. im sure i pay more taxes at the mometn than you do anyway, plus its completely different: taxes are administered by governments elected by us, on the other hand i have never seen advertisements for union elections AND theyre littel more than teenagers like us...yeh our money is in good hands.
why should i be discriminated against cos i earn more money? i WORK for it, why should i have to work for you guys bumming around uni all day, eating unhealthy union food and getting liver disease at the BOTH?
i already go to a gym thats closer to home, for a cheaper price, with better facilities, open the same hours

oh, and a few posts later, you say a difference of opinion is okay, but you just said that my opinion was wrong?!?! like WTF? there is a massive amoutn of people who go to uni who are in my situation, we all slave our asses off for the whole day the spend the whole night at uni, why should we pay for your relaxed lifestyle? granted, we MADE THAT CHOICE, but by that means we should also be able to choose what we pay for and dont pay for.

i dont hate uni, as someone said in a previous post, i just go there to do my course and then go home. nothing else there really interests me, maybe it interests you, but thats why you wanna pay union fees and i dont.

PLUS, another reason i dont wanna pay union fees is because i get charged at the full time student rate, which means that im gonna have to pay 4 years worth of union fees when you only have to pay 3, yet you use it more than i? i wouldnt be so adamant about vsu if they let me pay part time fees but no, they dont.

oh and on watt space? well i dont like art, if art students want somewhere to display their art then they should have to pay for it themselves. why should i?

AND why should i have to pay for your laziness to bring sunscreen with you? i dont care if you get skin cancer, a bottle of lotion costs a few bucks, there is no way you would use $187 worth of sunscreen in a semester.

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Distance from uni is a pisspoor excuse. I have even further to travel than you, with absolutely no chance of using public transport or catching a lift with mates, and I still enjoy my time at uni. There is more to our "so called uni life" than pissing it up at the BOTH
distance from the uni is a very valid excuse thankyour very much, ill pay to party when and where i want to. i dont want to pay for people on campus to party it up.

[excuse the double post]

Justine2408

HSC
Things are already disappearing – notice that the coffee carts have gone? Do any of you (people who are not going to pay fees) walk through the Bar on the Hill at any point? Use the toilets in any of the Union buildings, buy books or the paper, hang around and listen to the music, buy Uni supplies of any kind, grab a coffee etc? I think people will be very surprised with what goes.

Also, can people get it right! The Union is NOT NUSA ….. NUSA (The student association). NUSA only get a very small part of the fees, the majority of your fees goes towards all the other services!!!! Also ‘Student life’ is much much more than just the social / drinking side of things. That again, is only one small component of ‘Student Life’.

Life will be boring, mundane, and mechanical after VSU comes in. The richness and diversity of university will no longer exist. Bring on McUni …… bland, tasteless and not at all satisfying!!!!:mad1:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Things are already disappearing – notice that the coffee carts have gone?
The 'things that are already disappearing' don't have to, because union fees were paid this year - if anything has been removed already that's just because the union felt like it.

I have a feeling there's going to be alot of VSU pessimism next year, with people blaming everything that's shitty in their life on VSU - much like this chick did...

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
Emily. i feel obliged to point out that your plight ceased being interesting about 5 or 6 posts ago. this isnt about you but a bigger mentality and ive mentioned it a few times that its about a mentality NOT YOU PERSONALLY.

stop making excuses aye. nobody really cares how miserable gsc makes your life and that you want to carry on like a martyr that your supporting our future liver cancer.

let it go.

Justine. HELL YEAH!!!

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Justine2408 said:
Things are already disappearing – notice that the coffee carts have gone? Do any of you (people who are not going to pay fees) walk through the Bar on the Hill at any point? Use the toilets in any of the Union buildings, buy books or the paper, hang around and listen to the music, buy Uni supplies of any kind, grab a coffee etc? I think people will be very surprised with what goes.

Also, can people get it right! The Union is NOT NUSA ….. NUSA (The student association). NUSA only get a very small part of the fees, the majority of your fees goes towards all the other services!!!! Also ‘Student life’ is much much more than just the social / drinking side of things. That again, is only one small component of ‘Student Life’.

Life will be boring, mundane, and mechanical after VSU comes in. The richness and diversity of university will no longer exist. Bring on McUni …… bland, tasteless and not at all satisfying!!!!:mad1:
you've been sucked into uni propaganda. just because there is VSU doesnt mean theres going to be no toilets. im sure thats not legal.
but no, i dont use any of those things you mentioned, ive only been at the BOTH at concerts, and id be fine with paying more on my tickets to those
ALSO, i have to pay this stupid fee, yet i cant actually get to the union at all to get the stupid card even if i wanted to use any of the services. THAT is fucked.

oh, and tell me what way the union affects this 'uni life' of yours that doesnt include the social/drinking side?

and richness/diversity? last i heard, the only diversity our uni had was the multicultural student body. multicultural students are still gonna be there when VSU comes in.

Safisfaction? I'll be satisfied when i get the piece of paper in my hand saying "Bachelor of Commerce". Nothing else at uni would satisfy me. isnt that why we're paying thousands of dollars? VSU will have no bearing on this.

Justine2408

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
The 'things that are already disappearing' don't have to, because union fees were paid this year - if anything has been removed already that's just because the union felt like it.

Yes ... well .... just goes to show how much you know ..... Things are already disappearing because the Union need to plan ahead and are already negotiating with private businesses who are placing restrictions and exclusive rights rules on their agreements.

There may be a little bit of VSU pessimism as you put it, however, there is a huge amount of ignorance in relation to where the fees actually go ...... it will become obviousl once the money is not available.

By the way, I have to pay Council rates, but I never use the library, swimming pools, art galleries, go to the town hall, use the child health centres etc etc - why does the argument of 'voluntary' payment extend to that? VSU is a stupid concept when you start thinking about all the other components of life where we do not have the same choices!

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
Emily. i feel obliged to point out that your plight ceased being interesting about 5 or 6 posts ago. this isnt about you but a bigger mentality and ive mentioned it a few times that its about a mentality NOT YOU PERSONALLY.

stop making excuses aye. nobody really cares how miserable gsc makes your life and that you want to carry on like a martyr that your supporting our future liver cancer.

let it go.

Justine. HELL YEAH!!!
you said previously that this 'bigger mentality' was in line with my train of thought. make up your mind. im just expressing my opinion, as are you, and now youve run out of rebuttals.

me making excuses? VSU IS going to happen, im just saying im supporting it for a multitude of reasons. youre the one thats arguing about it as though you can change the course of history.

im not a martyr if its not by choice.

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
Justine2408 said:
Yes ... well .... just goes to show how much you know ..... Things are already disappearing because the Union need to plan ahead and are already negotiating with private businesses who are placing restrictions and exclusive rights rules on their agreements.

There may be a little bit of VSU pessimism as you put it, however, there is a huge amount of ignorance in relation to where the fees actually go ...... it will become obviousl once the money is not available.

By the way, I have to pay Council rates, but I never use the library, swimming pools, art galleries, go to the town hall, use the child health centres etc etc - why does the argument of 'voluntary' payment extend to that? VSU is a stupid concept when you start thinking about all the other components of life where we do not have the same choices!
your council rates pay for the upkeep of the roads, footpaths, collection of garbage, many things other than what you mentioned. how would you like it if you had to find a way to get rid of your rubbish. how would you get anywhere without driveable roads or walkable footpaths?

you cant compare basic infrastructure with cheap beer, free condoms (which can be obtained from any family planning clinic), free sunscreen/mozzie repellent or cheap gross food?

Justine2408

HSC
Emily. said:
you've been sucked into uni propaganda. just because there is VSU doesnt mean theres going to be no toilets. im sure thats not legal.
but no, i dont use any of those things you mentioned, ive only been at the BOTH at concerts, and id be fine with paying more on my tickets to those
ALSO, i have to pay this stupid fee, yet i cant actually get to the union at all to get the stupid card even if i wanted to use any of the services. THAT is fucked.

There will be toilets, I didn't say that. I said toilets in the Union buildings. These are maintained by the Union. Also ... you pay more to go to the concerts?? There will be NO concerts, so you won't be needing to pay more, they just won't exist!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)