The HSC Advice Line thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
Sorry about that post, I did not see that people had replied, the computer took a while. Sorry about that. Thanks for your reply. I wonder how many people they have on there.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I remember calling the advice line for some silly english question that I couldn't figure out.

Instead, I ended up having a chat to the other person for over an hour about everything that was associated with english and she helped with my related texts and said if they were good or not.

Generally there wasn't a long wait, I think I called 2 or 3 days before the english exam or something. The teachers can pretty much answer anything from past exam questions and answers to any questions that you have trouble with from textbooks.

But not bad for a 25c phone call :p

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
i want to ask a 'highly experienced expert teacher' something about society and culture, but there is no advice line for it... :(

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
Just wondering, what kind of stuff would you ask them?
Anything you want to know the answer to. People who have come in contact with the exam questions aren't allowed to staff the lines, so don't try asking them the questions of the actual exams:p. You can ask things from content to exam questions like 'what are they after?'.

Everyone who talks on the phone is a marker, but I'm not observing the help line as I am the marking process- I don't think there's much training involved.

I rang them up last year about an advanced English module. The lady on the other end clearly knew what she was talking about and calmed me down.

*n.a.t.a.l.i.e* said:
Is there a time limit? or question limit per phone call?
If there're no incoming calls, there's no limit. If you're clealy wasting their and your own time, they will tell you to ring up at a less busy time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
So for example would it be helpful to ask about something like essay structure, my legal teacher keeps telling us that we should be saying "In regards to criteria one 'protection and recognition of individual rights'..." blah blah blah...I dont like writing like that and he tells me he hasnt marked, so would they be able to help you with that?

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:
So for example would it be helpful to ask about something like essay structure, my legal teacher keeps telling us that we should be saying "In regards to criteria one 'protection and recognition of individual rights'..." blah blah blah...I dont like writing like that and he tells me he hasnt marked, so would they be able to help you with that?
Most definitely. I would also ask 'Is this view shared among most markers?' :)

edit: say that in a nice way, btw. I'm sure you would (you're a nice gal), but this is to everyone else.

I don't think I'd have the stomach to talk on the help line. I'm dreading failing people as it is, I don't think I want to talk to them before hand.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Most definitely. I would also ask 'Is this view shared among most markers?' :)

edit: say that in a nice way, btw. I'm sure you would (you're a nice gal), but this is to everyone else.

I would, especially since its a small world and it seems that too many of my teachers know my relatives :rolleyes: . I trust him with most stuff especially since he did grad law, but if you havent marked you dont know exactly what they are looking for :cool:

X

xeuyrawp

melsc said:

I would, especially since its a small world and it seems that too many of my teachers know my relatives :rolleyes: . I trust him with most stuff especially since he did grad law, but if you havent marked you dont know exactly what they are looking for :cool:
hheh.

uni (real info) =/= HSC :p

I think it's easier with some subjects than others. To mark english, you really have to be a teacher. To mark less subjective things (like ancient and maths), having people who know their 'real' stuff is fine. I think legal would be a bit more hazy?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
yeh with legal there usually isnt a correct answer, it more about how you support and argue your point, although my teacher expects a lot, like we should know the jurisdiction of the case (if not the what ya call it CLR 123 blah blah) or all these extra Latin phrases.

I dont think that that kind of info would hurt ur marks, just marks might be wtf is pactus sunt servanda or something.

Ur right about HSC info being dodge, I was reading some of the stuff for legal and realised it isnt exactly right because they have simplified it or take out exceptions

X

xeuyrawp

I heard the same about Legal, and that a lot of law tutors find that they have to get their students to re-lean stuff properly.

THen again, I think the same could be said for most subs.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Perhaps ill ask them why Historians havent learnt about M/C or short answer questions before....

X

xeuyrawp

Deus said:
Perhaps ill ask them why Historians havent learnt about M/C or short answer questions before....
1. MC: Akhenaten displayed himself as disfigured for the following reasons:

a) He suffered from a disease known as Marfan's Syndrome,
b) He suffered from a disease known as Frolich's Syndrome,
c) His religious revolution entailed an entire cultural and artistic revolution,
d) Nefertiti's foreign influence changed his art.

(All of the above?)

2. Short answer: In which year did Akhenaten die?

(1367 - 1337)

3. True or False, history belongs to whites.

(?) etc, etc.

:rolleyes:

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
PwarYeux ha ha tell me the answers to these questions u have up there can u? lol
ancient needs alot of study :-/

X

xeuyrawp

MuffinMan said:
PwarYeux ha ha tell me the answers to these questions u have up there can u? lol
ancient needs alot of study :-/
Only exam question writers see the questions before the exam.

Dimsimmer

Random User
HSC
mattchan said:
Serious? I wonder if the person would know though.
Yep, from what i heard from my economics teacher, the person would know and it could take 15 minutes giving out the figures.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i dont have any questions really...but i still wanna ring sometime

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Whoa, I didn't know it was available so soon! I thought it was only coming out in STUVAC week. Oh well, this is great I'm gonna start compiling questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)