The indie/progressive/experimental rock thread (1 Viewer)

fake_um..

cuntrash
HSC
N/A
cmon guys, we shouldn't judge too harshly, after all, he only listed well known bands. lets at least wait until he gets to the back of his "pitchforkmedia's comprehensive history of awesome music"

Götterfunken

HSC
The Savage God said:
There is an unfortunate issue that plagues most forums on the net: an unusually high concentration of vermin and carrion eaters devoid and incapable of any real thought beyond what is prescribed by popular culture and what can be expressed in unpunctuated and grammatically incorrect sentences constructed entirely of monosylabic words. Any potential for constructive discussion is crushed in the presence of these types of individuals.

I suppose it was too much to hope that a forum endorsed by the education system would be spared.
What the? You're a twat. And how prolix of you. :rolleyes:

wanton-wonton

HSC
bazookajoe said:
Pink Floyd - Is There Anybody Out There Lyrics

Is there anybody out there?

Yep, they're incredible. Really had to grasp the complexity of that.
Shut up.

The Shins for indie.

grag balbrady

on my 7th tour of duty
HSC
N/A
The Savage God said:
This here's a thread for people who don't exactly buy into the whole pop/rock thing going on right now,

Arcade Fire
arcade fire are more pop rock than a microwave full of corn kernels

nwatts

HSC
The Savage God said:
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Sigur Ros
The Mars Volta
I'm a pretty massive fan of the above. :) I really get into this whole genre of post-prog (in the case of Mars Volta/some Radiohead) and post-rock (as Godspeed, Sigur Ros, Broken Social Scene). Pink Floyd are just classic, but I don't have a lot of their material. I've got Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Where Here, but not Animals/The Wall/The Final Cut or any more. Can anyone recommend a favourite Floyd album? I'll grab it next time i've got some spare cash.

I also love the highly popular Tool, but I'm not exactly sure where they fall (in terms of genre and such). Some of their work is very prog, other is quite metal, other is regular rock! So yeah, i'm a fan, but i'm not sure where they fit. Branching off is more alt/rock/metal like Nine Inch Nails/Perfect Circle/the like.

wanton-wonton

HSC
nwatts said:
Can anyone recommend a favourite Floyd album? I'll grab it next time i've got some spare cash.
Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Debut album, psychedelic, not very prog.
Animals is pretty much similar in structure to Wish You Were Here, excellent album.
High Hopes - post-Roger Waters, preferred over A Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Buy the PULSE DVD when it releases, instead.

The Final Cut, you'll probably find it boring.

nwatts

HSC
I might give Animals a go then. I really love Wish You Where Here.

What's boring about The Final Cut? I've heard it's quite depressing, but good? Not a fan?

wanton-wonton

HSC
nwatts said:
I might give Animals a go then. I really love Wish You Where Here.

What's boring about The Final Cut? I've heard it's quite depressing, but good? Not a fan?
I like it. But it's not really prog rock, nor psychedelic, just plain rock. The singing gets bland too sometimes, but it's still good. Keep in mind the album was produced/recorded when the members were on bad terms with each other.

Also, it's probably one of the shittest Floyd cover arts, ever.

Last edited:

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
The Final Cut is allllllllllright. Definetely not their best though, nowhere near The Wall, Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon

sleepmakeswaves

HSC
try these bands..

Dredg
Oceansize
Explosions In The Sky
Pelican
Mono
Mogwai
Kaddisfly
Day One Symphony
Circa Survive

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)