the NEW law/media n comm UNSW vs. law/comm UTS (1 Viewer)

| n i s s y |

HSC
Has n e one heard of the new media n communications/law degree at UNSW?? Which degree u guys rekon is betta as in reputation and course quality.....the one i just mentioned or PUblic communication/law at UTS

I noe UNSW has a good rep for law and as a uni but a crap rep for media n comm..... on the otha hand ... UTS has the best rep for comm....n an ok ish rep for law...

whadda ya rekz?

addz

HSC
depdns which u wanna have a career in..

uts got good comm..and good rep
but its law its okay..not as highly rep as unsw..
but unsw media/comm = not that great..so i've heard
but law highly regarded iguess

so it depends on which kinda career u wanan focus in

Acid

HSC
Any idea of the estimated UAI requirements for these courses? I'm currently very interested in doing media and communications at USYD, but combining it with a law degree could be interesting...

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Whats with this bad rep for unsw med/comm? It's a very good course

| n i s s y |

HSC
Media n comm at UNSW is like around 86 but combined wif law its 99.3

med/communications at UNSW is apparently directionless and vague

Acid

HSC
media comms at USYD is 98.. i'm trying to get into that. Everyone knows that USYD is the best for Arts courses.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by | n i s s y |
med/communications at UNSW is apparently directionless and vague
I myself study it. I'm not sure what you're talking about.
edit: Initially, yes the content is quite general, but later on you choose electives in a certain areas, so it's definitely not vague.

usyd is 98 because they let very small numbers in.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I'm sure UTS Media/Communications > Sydney Media/Communications

Don't underrate UTS, I know a few people that do Media/Com at UTS and they all think its great :)

But..i was hoping for Media Comm/Law at UTS for a while, it's pretty cool that NSW is offering it as well :)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah if I had the uai for either of them, I'd choose UTS media/comm over USyd's.

santaslayer

HSC
I would choose UTS purely because the course at UNSW is new and needs to be developed. :)

| n i s s y |

HSC
YEh since its a new course,,,im abit unsure of doing the UNSW one..... UTS is definately better in communications than USYD.

IS UNSW med/comm more computer based?

Lundy

Banned
HSC
My advice is to read the course outlines, go to the open days, talk to people doing the courses and decide which to do based on which appeals to you more. Don't decide based on reputation alone.

UNSW med/comm is about half-half theory and computer work. It's quite multimedia-based.

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It depends on what area of the industry you want to work in.

Computer media= UNSW the best

Journalism, PR, Advertising, Film/Sound Production= UTS the best

USYD= too much theory, not enough practice. Their degree would probably be good if your were interested in Politics/PR, but for journalism it is a no no because there isn't enough practical content. USYD may be fantastic for english literature, languages, philosophy and all that traditional arts stuff, but UTS owns communications!!!

The second best place in NSW for journalism type stuff is CSU Bathurst.

Don't be lured by the "prestige" of the sandstone, depending on your career outcomes, it isn't necessarily the best place to go.

aditya

HSC
mad, so if u did the education for a journalist... where could u end up?

i mean there isnt a strong thing in aus, does it have strong international recognition?

and also, i can only think of EDITOR as the highest place for a journalist to get to, and they have to be old and wise and shit??

please correct me

how much do journalists get paid?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Journalists don't get paid huge amounts of money. The positions of senior journalists and editors are the higher positions, but you can also be hired by private companies as a media consultant etc. You don't go in to journalism for the money or prestige... many people go in it to get famous, and many people do it because they really believe in it.

There are lots of jobs for journalists in Aust, it's just very hard to get a break. Every small town with a reasonable population has it's own newspaper, radio station and maybe even local news bulletin. Online media is also a large employment area. Journalists also work for companies, magazines (and there are quite a lot of those, think special interest mags), non profit organizations etc. A journalism degree means nothing... it is the work you have performed and things you have gotten published that will get you a job as a journalist (anywhere in the world)...

brentosbreezer

| n i s s y | said:
Has n e one heard of the new media n communications/law degree at UNSW?? Which degree u guys rekon is betta as in reputation and course quality.....the one i just mentioned or PUblic communication/law at UTS

I noe UNSW has a good rep for law and as a uni but a crap rep for media n comm..... on the otha hand ... UTS has the best rep for comm....n an ok ish rep for law...

whadda ya rekz?
What 'new media/comm + law course at UNSW'. I've searched for it and I can't find it!

I strongly suspect it doesn't exist.

Prove me wrong and humiliate me. I dare you!

Honestly, where is it? I can't find it!

| n i s s y |

HSC
SERIOUSLY! its the UNSW law prospectus.... but it ses (to be approved) next to the course...which is y it probably has not made official!...I saw it I sweaR n i even asked the lady at the career day about it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)