The Official Hip-Hop/R&B Thread 2007 (1 Viewer)

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
i just dl 'the cool' last nite, a pretty good album on whole. whats ur top 10 releases for the year? would be interested to see some lists.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
well i cant order these albums ill just write a small paragraph on each one that pops up in my mind.

T.I - T.I VS T.I.P (haha im so biased, but man as if hurt doesnt get you FUCKING PUMPED...BOY YA FINNA GET HURT MURKED PUT EM IN THE DIRT BOY U BETTA CATCH ME FIRSTTTTTT!)

Although the theme has been done before, T.I has done it the best imo, even before this album with the track T.I VS T.I.P (from trap muzik) he perfected this gimmick with a fucking laid-back feel to it, while the others who had a go at it (eg cassidy and canibus) made the theme sound forced and pretentious.

You've still got tip showing off that perfect flow but with a theme which draws you in and plays through the album like one entertaining movie. The beats are straight, the flow and lyrics and typical tip, what more could you ask for. Dude still paints lyrical pictures with ease. Even the interludes were interesting and added to the album rather than provided filler lised-one-time-then-skip-the-other-times tracks.

8.75/10

best tracks: hurt, my swag, da dopeman, tell em i said that, respect my hustle.

UGK - Underground Kingz

Imo their best album since ridin' dirty. No other album that they have made has captured the classic pimped out feel of 'ridin dirty' until now. You've got Pimp C (R.I.P) flowin' just as well as he did on ridin' dirty and Bun-B being fucking awesome as usual, along with great catchy hooks and great beats. This is def ridin dirty part II, which is what every UGK fan has wanted since ridin dirty came out. You've got two legendary groups on the first single (int players anthem) with their respective classic sounds. Although you can say what you want about Pimp C's symplistic lyrics, you can also go fuck yourself.

8/10

best tracks: swishas & dosha, intl players anthem (feat outkast), the game belongs to me, next up, life is 2009.

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

I've only listened to this album twice, this is no professional review list anyway so fuck you if you have a problem with it. Just as impressed as I was with his first album, and I expected quality, I recieved quality. The lyrics are great and clever, the flow is almost impeccable, the beats and hooks are straight. It's all good.

My only problem with this album is the intro, that chicks voice is fucking annoying.

The theme 'cool' was a good idea and well blended into the songs.

8/10

best songs: superstar, the coolest, hip hop saved my life, paris-tokyo, go go gadget flow.

Dizzee Rascal - Maths & English

My favourite album of his to date. The style all dizzee fans know and love over the best beats I have heard him over. None of these songs are boring (a few of his other 2 albums suffered because of that) and alot of lyrics and clever and actually do make you rewind just to hear what he said again (ie, hardback).

7.75/10

best songs: pussyhole, sirens, hardback (industry), suk my dick, wheres da g's.

DJ Jazzy Jeff - The Return Of The Magnificent

One of the greatest DJ's in the world. Great features, of course great beats. Beautiful hip hop. That's all I have to say. This is a hip hop album. Although none of the songs can compare to 'for da love of da game' from another one of his albums, they all fare well.

7/10

best songs: the garden, jeff n fess, the definition.

Jay-Z - American Gangster.

imo some of these songs boast the best beats he has had in awhile. DJ toomp made the best one on 'say hello' and the songs are all enjoyable and classic jay-z. Never fell off, and probably never will. However, suffers from a very weak lead single (although I do enjoy it sometimes) and a few lackluster songs. He really should have put on dead presidents III. Also could have used some exciting features *cough* T.I *cough*

7/10

best songs: Pray, say hello, success, american dream, hello brooklyn 2.0

Kanye West - Graduation

Although nowhere near as good as his past 2 albums, half the songs are good, but the ones that are good are GREAT. Has spawned some very fun songs that grow on you extremely quickly. I can't help but feel dissapointed though. Needed better guests too. As everyone has been saying, it just wasn't as good as college dropout or late rego. He is lucky that Stronger, flashing lights, good life and can't tell me nothing make up for the average tracks. Flashing lights is so fucking orgasmically good, one of the best his made.

6/10

best songs: stronger, good life, I wonder (although the rhymes are very weak in this song imo), homecoming, flashing lights.

Freeway - Free At Last

much like his first album, very underrated, the beats are absolutely awesome here and almost every song is a 'banger' Freeway has always been a good lyricist, and he definently has a unique voice and flow. However, the album does fail to captivate you as much as other albums released this year, it just does now flow. Just sounds like freeway recorded a few hot songs, got a couple of guests together and put them in no particular order on a CD, key word is hot though, these songs are HOT.

6.5/10

best songs: walk wit me, take it to the top, roc-a-fella billionaires, reppin the streets.

Wu-Tang - 8 Diagrams

Well, it's a Wu Tang album, whatever you expect is what this album is, a good Wu album. I Just don't find the songs as interesting or good as past. I'm not saying they fell off by any means, just this album didn't really do it for me, it's hot and all, just, I don't know, something about it, just made me be like 'meh, good album but yeah oh well'

6/10

best songs: wolves, life changes, take it back, waek spot.

Wyclef Jean - Carnival Vol II

I liked it more than Vol I at least. Some of the songs are really hot, like the one featuring T.I (slow down). The beats remind me that he still is a good producer and should not be counted out just yet. He has not fallen off. But he does fail to make a great solo album. Some of the guest appearances should have been left off, seems like he is just trying to show off his connections by doing songs with norah jones and shakira, I'm a fan of the former but both songs featuring these two and boring. Admist the good tracks you find uninspired tracks that seem to be so all over the place that you just give up listening.

5/10

Cassidy - B.A.R.S

Good album, I'll start by saying that. Definently not as good as 'im a hustla' which i really enjoyed, I thought it was a great album and very underrated. This one has weaker beats and lyrics (still good just weaker compared to im a hustla). It's unfair to compare albums, especially since he's been through alot between albums, but I was just expecting so much more after 'I'm A Hustla.' I never really liked 'innocent' by Mark Morrison, I don't really like cassidy's version of it either, average imo. The lead single (drink n my 2 step) took a long time to grow on me too. I would have alot of fun to this song if it came on in a club I was at, I like it now. Just....I'm A Hustla was so good :(

5/10

best songs: cash rulez, damn i miss the game, done 4 me, leanin on the lord, I get my paper.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
LOL well i wasnt expecting as much details I was thinking just a 1-10 and maybe just a few comments overall. Well for me its been a good year for hip hop been very pleased with alot of the releases. My top 10 looks something like this (very much different to yours chris):

1. Marco Polo - Port Authority
2. Evidence - The Weatherman LP
3. Phat Kat - Carte Blanche
4. Blu & Exile - Below The Heavens
5. Blue Scholars - Bayani
6. Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth
7. Little Brother - Get Back
8. Pharoahe Monche - Desire
9. Percee P - Perseverence
10. Urthboy - The Signal

Other brilliant albums that missed out:

J Medieros - Of Gods And Girls
Cilvaringz - I
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
13th Son - Our Lives
KRS-One & Marley Marl - Hip Hop Lives
Median - Median's Relief
Snowgoons - German Lugers
DJ Bonez - Roll Call
Black Milk - Popular Demand
Katalyst - What's Happening
Joell Ortiz - The Brick
Pegz - Burn City
Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

All the albums listed are very worthy of being in any true hip hops music collection. If you haven't heard some of these yet definately go and buy/download them, they will not disappoint.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Lupe Fiasco - The Cool
Kanye West - Graduation
Common - Finding Forever
Pharoahe Monch - Desire
Devin the Dude - Waitin' to Inhale
Dizzee Rascal - Maths + English

Can't think of anymore I enjoyed to be honest, hip hop is very hit or miss for me

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
finding forever was good but i wanted more.

iono didnt really wanna do any backpacking/thinking just spouted out random albums. and of course as you all know im biased towards T.I

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
yes you are very biased toward t.i. lol. but definately check any of the albums i listed, ive done the backpacking for you

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
haha yeh nah ive checked em all out (well cept phat kat, percee p, urthboy and a few others) but most of em. liked most of what i heard, but meh i can just pop in a jay dilla album and get the same vibe as most of the backpack albums this year.

is it just me or am i not expecting much for nas' upcoming album, don't know why, just a bit meh about it all.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
yeah im the same. not expecting much, to me seems a bit rushed. to be coming out for a tour for your previous album and then cancel and rush back home to complete your next album in a short period of time sounds like another NASTRADOOMUS album

L i L O

HSC
hiphophooray123 said:
finding forever was good but i wanted more.

iono didnt really wanna do any backpacking/thinking just spouted out random albums. and of course as you all know im biased towards T.I

i over anticipated finding forever.. i actually ended up listening to it once, hating it, and never listening to it again. except for 'the people'

if you love t.i., you should have his new mixtape by now right?
I Am Pt. 2.. its okay, worth a DL, but not fantastic

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
politik said:
Marty you have awful Music taste and need to kill yourself.

Oh look! There's a new Nelly Furtado track for you to download!

EDIT: I do love AK though.
who the hell are you and how on earth do you know i like nelly furtado?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
bit behind but hey fuck Lupe Fiasco is timeless...I got my go go go go go go go go go go gadget flow!!!

The Cool is one of the better albums for me

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Supra said:
bit behind but hey fuck Lupe Fiasco is timeless...I got my go go go go go go go go go go gadget flow!!!

The Cool is one of the better albums for me
Best song on that album. tbh I didn't think The Cool would be better than Food and Liquor.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
yeah food and liquor was definately a much better album but thats not saying the cool wasnt good at all. songs like 'the coolest' 'superstar' and 'paris/tokyo' definately were up to par with his previous efforts. 'paris/tokyo' gives me an atcq vibe which is really nice.

Last edited:

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
*Facepalms*

Nothing that good came out this year.

*Plays Shadows on the Sun*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)