• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Official Wild Swans thread (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Belinda
:D Wah, little Seftoners! Hello! I was one last year. Ah suckers, Wild Swans was a difficult text (although it surprisingly helps to be in Ms Repins class).
nickname = realname?

guys: invisible_baybee@hot... ... ill try to help if ican, but im giving ms.cinderella my old english notes

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Hey all, essay questions and questions and more quesitons...

- Compose an argumetn for or against teh topic
'that every text has a used by date'
Consider your prescribed text's ideas, langaguea nd form, and its recpetion in different contexts

- examine the view taht 'nothing emerges more clealry from WS then the solidariness of teh individual'

- how does the personal voice shape our responce to the historical and social contexts presented in WS

- in the conculding mometns of WS jung chang makes reference to yao-han, the former Kuotmintang political superviour who had been repsoncible for arresting jung chang's mother forty years earilier.
you have intervied yao-han for his views on changs story.
write a featuer article about his version of events

- imagine you are jung changs father, wnag chang, writing a reflection on your life shortly bbefore yoru death
write your thoughts about the major events in yoru life, highligting what you see as your sucesses and failures

-'wild swans is a story of an eastern cutlure yet is still relevent to the western world'
discuss this statemetn in realtion to WS

- two people who valtue your prescribed text in different ways and for different reason are having a conversation. Composer their conversatio which shold include consideration of the struture, language, and ideas of teh text

- anyalise what a ctitical study of WS reveals abotu the kind of text it is

- Jung changs prose style is perfectly sutited to her subejct matter - asses the acuracy of this statement

- 'it is the accounts of personal experiences rather then the presenation of political movemtns that the appeal of WS lies' - Evaluation teh validility of this statment

- antonia fraser describes WS as 'memerising'. what was your personal reaction. if you dont agree, how would you describe the texts' qualities

- 'this is a family memorie taht has the breadth of teh most enduring social hisotyr' m amis - you have been asked to write a report for the chinese daily for government records on the extent to which governmetn plays a role in the life of an individual

- for WS discuss which has teh greatest impact on the compoer, the state or her family

- he was well aware that he was not match for the bonds b/e mother and daughter' - to what extent is this statement demonstrated in WS

there are some questions that you can look at.
sorry about the poor spelling
Mel

jimmik

HSC
thnx mel, i found 3 additional ques from 2002 trial from somewhere..lolz. here they are:

- "Jung Chang's story is focused on three generations of women who lived in different times and contexts." Compare the contexts of each woman's world discussing the similarities and differences and the impact on their lives.

- How does WS contribute to the genre of nonfiction?

- In WS official history is seen as being changeable, able to be manipulated and transformed by political powers. How is this official history portrayed and how does Chang show that an alternative history can be told and preserved?

life4_rent

ahahahah.. how cool.. we got desperate seftoners & one dubbo student here =D

something tells me that st john's college @ dubbo's got beta notes than we do.. arrrgh!!

btw, babydoll_.. ur nancy tran rite? sefton class '03? hmm.. i may be wrong.. *checks yearbook*

MEANWHILE.. back to studying for physics *lookz around* soo many dot points >.<

-maggie xox

Belinda

O_o
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
nickname = realname?

guys: invisible_baybee@hot... ... ill try to help if ican, but im giving ms.cinderella my old english notes
Yup! You're Nancy? How's life? Which Uni? I'm at MQ doing Psych/law. How about you? HYDE FREAKING ROCKS! Hot hot... mmm Gacktness as well... and Miyavi... and ok I'm getting seriously offtopic.

Anyway, remember people! READ THE QUESTION REALLY REALLY CAREFULLY. You have to know what they are asking of you. Because Wild Swans is such a huge text, some questions are rather specific and want you to just focus on specific areas.

EG. "How does WS contribute to the genre of nonfiction?"

They are asking about genre. FOCUS ON IT. Use the structure, language, imagery etc to back it up. Talk about how it effects different readings, but always remember they are asking you about how it contributes to genre.

That was one specific example. REMEMBER TO READ THE QUESTION! UNDERLINE IMPORTANT WORDS!

[cpt ans]

thanks alot for all the notes!

hey this thread is getting good...and bigger!

*peers over at bio textbook...ignores it*

no really, thanks alot to every1! this is so great!!!!!

-vatch

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yup! You're Nancy? How's life? Which Uni? I'm at MQ doing Psych/law. How about you? HYDE FREAKING ROCKS! Hot hot... mmm Gacktness as well... and Miyavi... and ok I'm getting seriously offtopic.
HYDE! I LOVE HYDE! but cant find any l'arc en ciel albums :(:(:(

anyway, i think the best way to study would be to share ideas on here. as you can tell, not many schools are doing WS, and there arent a lot of resources available either. i do have some notes, but its too much to scan, so im giving them to nancy (ms.cinderella), so yeah, have a look when i give them to her.
Originally posted by life4_rent
ahahahah.. how cool.. we got desperate seftoners & one dubbo student here =D

something tells me that st john's college @ dubbo's got beta notes than we do.. arrrgh!!

btw, babydoll_.. ur nancy tran rite? sefton class '03? hmm.. i may be wrong.. *checks yearbook*
yeah... :uhoh: someone knows my last name

ms tsevekidis and ms diab used to share notes, but theyre not around any more :(

frankie

ms tsevekidis and ms diab used to share notes, but theyre not around any more :(
true.. no fair..
babydoll_ --tsevekidis' notes? u gave them to cinderella, rite? (coz shes in my class lol)

repin's class is a bit lost right now. im a bit lost right now. haha.
ex-seftoners: hav u got any sample questions? plz plz plz
(half yearlies are real soon..)

Belinda

O_o
HSC
O_O Where did they go? I haven't had Diab before but I heard she was a good teacher... and I've had Tsevekidis and damn she was a good teacher. Damn, I don't know how Sefton would do this year if all the good English teachers leave.

Originally posted by frankie
repin's class is a bit lost right now. im a bit lost right now. haha.
ex-seftoners: hav u got any sample questions? plz plz plz
(half yearlies are real soon..)
Believe me, you'll always be lost in Repin's class. However, it's strange how although you're really lost, you still have heaps to write. In retrospect, she was a really good teacher.

Beh, I chucked out all my past papers I think... but for now, there are PLENTY of past papers here.

jimmik

HSC
O_O Where did they go? I haven't had Diab before but I heard she was a good teacher... and I've had Tsevekidis and damn she was a good teacher. Damn, I don't know how Sefton would do this year if all the good English teachers leave.

they're all busy havin babies while we sit in class screaming our heads off cuz we aint got no proper teacher *sighz. tyms like this i actually wish i was in repin's class. ahaha.

jimmik

HSC

It lacks textual intergrity.

There are many possible readings in terms of:
a) Genre (sometimes it's a fictional type, sometimes family saga, sometimes historical)
b) Audience (West v East)
c) Time (90s v Now, where we aren't so anti communism)

I remember our class having lots of trouble with it, but I think it was probably my most well written essay. I would give you my notes, but errr they might recognise my work.

Hope that helps!
it's clearly in my head now that it lacks textual integrity due to the fact that it fits in every genre. however, would u mind explaining points 2 and 3 in further detail? my email is immy_rulz@hotmail.com if u want to email it or jus post it here for everyone. thanks!

Last edited:

Belinda

O_o
HSC
B. I guess you can say it really relates to genre. Because of it, many readings result. A reading from the West would mostly be positive. Evidence = the awards and lavish reviews she initiatly got. Because the many dabblings in genre, she was able to really "convince" the Western audience.

However, from Eastern reading, her use of language (ranging from factual to emotive) really to be bias towards her point that the Communist revolution was horridly bad, that the Chinese customs seems to have been put down, that ultimately, the West triumphs over the East. Obviously the East doesn't read Wild Swans as positively.

C. At the time it was published (early 90s) it was the fall of Communism. The West were more than relieved, and the book just emphasised how good the West was and how Communism doesn't work. It was also a time of feminism on the rise. Wild Swans just so happens to be about the courage of women. This also manages to obviously affect the reading.

However, take today's society, aka 21st century. Communism is no longer the big thing. The East has opened up more, it was no longer the "mysterious thing". People would be more willing to hold from believing what Jung Chang said now, as opposed to 10 years ago.

These are just LITTTTTLE bits of what you can discuss. Feel free to expand, I can't remember any quotes *shudders* and those were off the top of my head. You'll probably get notes of them if you haven't already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)