The Physics and Chemistry Technicalities Thread (1 Viewer)

barbernator

HSC
Post things here that people commonly lose simple marks on for just missing out on the finer details.

For starters:

- Rounding to the same significant figures as the lowest provided information you used in the calculation. However, for pH calculations, the pH is rounded to as many decimal places as there are significant figures in molarity of Hydronium ions.

- HSC markers want water to be stated as a liquid in combustion reactions.

- Correct units

they are some simple ones but please post any more so people can minimise their silly mistakes in the test.

deswa1

HSC
This is a fantastic idea for a thread. As I think of stuff, I'll post it. First off, is it poly(ethylene) or polyethylene or does it not matter?

For graphs, make sure you use AT LEAST 80% of both axis, you'll get docked if you don't. Put a title on it and make sure you have a line of best fit, excluding outliers

barbernator

HSC
i think you can do either, however with polychloroethene, poly(1-chloroethene) is better as it denotes a uniform spacing of chlorine in the polymer.

T0 is the rest frame, i.e. the frame in which the observer is in. Tv is the inertial frame with a relative velocity to the observer. To remember this, think 0 is no velocity and V is velocity

The HSC physics course deals with special relativity mainly

Last edited:

deswa1

HSC
For chemistry, make sure you draw the bonds to the correct thing if that makes sense. For example, this is wrong:

You MUST draw the bond to the oxygen not the hydrogen.

When naming things, there are NO spaces between words. You put commas between the numbers and dashes between the numbers and the words. When naming isomers, electronegativity no longer applies (even though it still says this in Conquering Chemistry)- IUPAC rules changed in 2005 and Jacaranda chem has the correct rules but Conq. Chem is outdated here.

barbernator

HSC
For chemistry, make sure you draw the bonds to the correct thing if that makes sense. For example, this is wrong:

You MUST draw the bond to the oxygen not the hydrogen.

When naming things, there are NO spaces between words. You put commas between the numbers and dashes between the numbers and the words. When naming isomers, electronegativity no longer applies (even though it still says this in Conquering Chemistry)- IUPAC rules changed in 2005 and Jacaranda chem has the correct rules but Conq. Chem is outdated here.
So how do they choose to name if the numbers are equal either way?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Vectors = Magnitude + Direction

Enufsaid.

You'd be surprised at how many marks can be lost due to technicalities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)