The plot (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
My story doesn't have a plot. :(
Gay aye? do I need one? :p

I know some stories that are character based don't really need a plot, but mine isn't really character based, but more philosophy based... its strange, and its not the kind of story that mixes well with a plot. So thus is my dilemma :(

Are plots 100% absolutely imperative to the genre of a short story? If so, then I honestly dunno what Ive written here. :(

Giant Lobster

HSC
it has some sort of plot... but its weird
lol

well its boring, thats for sure :(
damn... howd i manage to write this pos

Giant Lobster

HSC
kinda
its screwed
ill get my teachers opinion
if they rkn its screwed too then ill start from scratch or drop the subject
more likely start from scratch :)

*Flutterby*

the point of a narrative whether short or long is to have the characteristics, which are beginnin middle end. without a plot i dontthink that works lol but hey good luck

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
My friend has no plot but hers has a very distinct message. You pick up on that throughout, but there isn't a strict 'orientation', 'complication', 'resolution' format to it.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Hippy La-Laa
My friend has no plot but hers has a very distinct message. You pick up on that throughout, but there isn't a strict 'orientation', 'complication', 'resolution' format to it.
I think ur friend's work is similar to mine in this respect then... i was just wonderin if there was anyone else going about it alone similar lines...

Giant Lobster

HSC
i wouldnt call it interesting... if anything its quite a boring read!

but id call it... insightful, thought provoking etc
i just hope the marker's not in a lazy mood, else id get a sub 30 mark :(

*Flutterby*

i think that if it is original and if it makes someone think about what it says then youll be fine
ull think its boring because u write it and all that, u read it over and over. but for someone else reading it then it can be really interesting.

Giant Lobster

HSC
nah even factoring that in, it would be mildly interesting at best
i think i really need to srsly remodel it

Leasha23

The creative works for extension 2 english are very versatile in their production. As long as you are either creating an imaginative, investigative or analytical work, it should be fine.

My question is: I have, for my major work, three short stories. All investigate a specific genre/concept, but are not in any way linked. Do I need to make these stories linked in some way, or can they be totally different from one another in their structure, style and influences? Mine is influenced a lot more by research than being a fanciful story or the like.

LVB

Don't worry my stories don't really have much of a plot either...i'm doing a suite of short stories so mine are very different. one is a piece about the moon shining down on the earth so its more description than anything!

ahh the beauty of choice hey?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You do not need a plot as such, if it is a totally post modernistic influenced/styled story, which would be along the lines of a stream of conciousness, but be careful as they are quite subjective, ie, they will either love it or fail it.

But apart from that, and it sounds like yours isnt, you need a plot, without a plot it is very difficult to mark it with the necessary requirements for a short story.

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
My question is: I have, for my major work, three short stories. All investigate a specific genre/concept, but are not in any way linked. Do I need to make these stories linked in some way, or can they be totally different from one another in their structure, style and influences? Mine is influenced a lot more by research than being a fanciful story or the like.

they do have to link though dont they?
i have a strong feeling they do. you can think of other ways to link them rather than just the stories........but from what you said Leasha23 it sounds like your stories are linked - they are linked by your exploration into different genres and story concepts. explain it in your reflection statement and you will be fine.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
what exactly is a stream of consciousness?
think of madness....think post modernism....think absolute bullshit disguised as art :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)