The Riemann Hypothesis Thread (1 Viewer)

QuantumIllusion

HSC
Several mathematicians have addressed the Riemann hypothesis, but none of their attempts have yet been accepted as correct solutions.

Clay Mathematics Institute is offering $1,000,000 to whoever solves the Riemann Hypothesis $$$

"Some numbers have the special property that they cannot be expressed as the product of two smaller numbers, e.g., 2, 3, 5, 7, etc. Such numbers are called prime numbers, and they play an important role, both in pure mathematics and its applications. The distribution of such prime numbers among all natural numbers does not follow any regular pattern, however the German mathematician G.F.B. Riemann (1826 - 1866) observed that the frequency of prime numbers is very closely related to the behavior of an elaborate function

ζ(s) = 1 + 1/2s + 1/3s + 1/4s + ...

called the Riemann Zeta function. The Riemann hypothesis asserts that all interesting solutions of the equation

ζ(s) = 0

lie on a certain vertical straight line. This has been checked for the first 1,500,000,000 solutions. A proof that it is true for every interesting solution would shed light on many of the mysteries surrounding the distribution of prime numbers." CMI

humphdogg

HSC
Uni Grad
I work on this kind of thing in my research ;) and by work, I mean I have to assume that the Riemann hypothesis is true for any of my results to work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)