The Thorpedo gets disqualified (1 Viewer)

lolzieee

rOosters ^_-
if the guy who came 2nd in the 400m final (can't remember his name) qualifies in another event too he might give up his place to thorpie.

Pace Setter

I thought Craig Stevens was more of a distance swimmer-ie 800m/1500m...so theres still hope.

The one false start rule, regardless of the competition is used in, is a bit silly though...and not just because a high-profile athlete has just become a victim of it.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
If you see the footage, he lost his balance, tried to grab on and fell in. Think about it, if you lost your balance in that situation, you're stuffed.
The one false start rule is like only in swimming. Its really stupid.

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
but you are all speaking as if Grant will now win the event in Athens...but remember, its not a given, theres plenty of other good competitors out there that are in with a shot now.
thats true, but grant often comes second in this event, missing out only cos of thorpie.

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
i reckon thorpie should stop complaining. i feel sorry for the stevens bloke, all this pressure on him to give up his spot to thorpe.
Man he has been training for just as long and maybe even longer to get up to the level he is currently at, and it is not like he didnt meet the qualifying time.

As if thorpe would ever give up his position, just cause someone better than him, false started by accident. God damn i hate thorpe so much.

Last edited:

Pace Setter

Thorpe never suggested that Stevens give his place up. He suggested the exact opposite. Its the fans that are whinging.

reno2004

Retired Member - 1/12/04
HSC
N/A
im not sayin thorpe was saying that, i am saying that no one and thorpe included should expect stevens to give up his place just cause it is the world record holder that had an accidental false start

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
my sympathy goes towards Craig Stevens. Why should he give up the Olympics 400m just because people say so? I mean, there is no doubt that Thorpe is our Olympic Gold Hopeful, but rules are rules. Craig Stevens deserves a chance to swim in the Olympic 400m just as much as Ian Thorpe does. It's pathetic that the public asks him to drop out just because they want Ian Thorpe to be in it.

If it's someone else who falls into the water, we probably wouldn't even give a damn. it seems that our public opinion has clearly shown that we have lost the meaning of the Olympic Game as we only thought about how many gold medals can Australia get. Furthermore, if they didn't want this to happen, they shouldn't have this stupid rule to start off with. Since the rule is here, that means that the swimmers, no matter who, should follow it.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Pace Setter
Thorpe never suggested that Stevens give his place up. He suggested the exact opposite. Its the fans that are whinging.
It seems to me to be 'reversed psychology'

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i reckon the rules are there, and no matter how stupid we find them, they have to be adhered to.
i mean, if it were a lesser known swimmer, we wouldnt care, its just coz its thorpe everyones like 'oh lets change the rules'

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Originally posted by Josie
The one false start rule is like only in swimming. Its really stupid.
its also in athletics, and even they've had incidents like this, really stupid rule

but i wouldn't be suprised if stevens steps aside given the pressure the public has put on him, and if that does happen i dont see a point in having olympic trials

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
how fucken Australian would it be if this Stevens guy just goes out and breaks the world record or something at the Olympics in the 400m.

that would make people think differently

T

timbk2

I hope craig stevens qualifies for the 1500m and then withdraws in the 400m. giving his spot to thorpe.

Manda_dunga

teachy_teach
HSC
i would love to be wrong, but they wont let him in, they have to follow the rules
The IOC are actually considering giving him an invitation to particiapte in da event so he still has a chance. As he is da defending dual world and olympic champ dey are considering putting all three through, but we have to see wat happens

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Originally posted by Manda_dunga
The IOC are actually considering giving him an invitation to particiapte in da event so he still has a chance. As he is da defending dual world and olympic champ dey are considering putting all three through, but we have to see wat happens
but then whats the point of havin olympic trials

Manda_dunga

teachy_teach
HSC
Originally posted by Suney_J
but then whats the point of havin olympic trials
to select an olympic team!! dey can't bend da rules just because he's the champ however as he is a crowd drawer and holds records in the event dey feel its neccessary to try and get around it somehow. Plus his fellow competitors want to compete against him.
But i guess we'll hav to see how it turns out. At least he's in da team.

Pace Setter

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
i reckon the rules are there, and no matter how stupid we find them, they have to be adhered to.
i mean, if it were a lesser known swimmer, we wouldnt care, its just coz its thorpe everyones like 'oh lets change the rules'
A lot of people (like me) were never aware that our national trials came under this rule. Before this incident, I was under the impression, that like past Olympics, everyone went under the 2 false start rule. Its, first of all, perplexing why they changed to a less-logically sound rule, and second, frustrating to see this puzzling new rule deny our perceived best swimmer another chance at competing on the ultimate stage.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Originally posted by Manda_dunga
to select an olympic team!!
exactly!, so if he's selected in the olympic 400m without even racing, then the whole point of having olympic trials loses credibility

Manda_dunga

teachy_teach
HSC
Originally posted by Suney_J
exactly!, so if he's selected in the olympic 400m without even racing, then the whole point of having olympic trials loses credibility
but they're not doin it for his benefit. Thorpe has accepted it and moved on. The IOC is scared that ppl will lose interest in the event if the top competitor doesn't particiapte.
Anyways it was one simple mistake so why should he lose da chance to compete, esp considering it is only selections. I know it wouldn't happen wit a lesser known swimmer but its not only denying him da chance to compete but also his fellow competitors. the whole point of the olympics is to decide who is the best in their chosen field. If Thorpe does compete then this is not really happening.
Anyways this is wat is being discussed by the IOC. It's not like i've made it up. it is actual fact. i just thought others would lik to know wat is actually goin on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)