the weirdness of bnw! (2 Viewers)

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
is it just me or was alduous huxley on drugs when he wrote bnw? seriously wat is with the reservation and the savages? they live like indians did hundereds of years ago! i think that this text is not credible in any way and i object having to study the godamn thing. Also, can someone tell me just what is Lenina's caste? Is she an alpha, beta or a gamma? she does dress in green afterall. phfffft... year 12 adv english sux

btw wat do u guys think the module a question will be in the hsc?

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
I actually enjoyed reading BNW, which helped as I ended up having to read it on the last day of the summer holidays.
Huxley could quite likley have been on LSD or something, but nonethless you've got to admire his prophecising skills. I mean just loor around today, and see how many things he actually predicted!
I think Lenina is a beta by the way.

mrman

yeh bnw is pretty whack... but br is far more whack... i thought government institutions where meant to be discouraging the use of drugs... some how i think not

kurotenshi

bnw was ok. but i still don't get it... like... can anyone help me understand what the *insert swear word* is the plot of the story???? i'm really lost :confused:

br was ok too. definatly not my fav movie though... it's so hard to write about... and u can't see half the things that happen coz it's dark and rainy... now i'm getting depress.....:mad1:

(don't mind me... going crazy...):gridnod:

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
Huxley wrote BNW so we could compare and contrast it with Bladerunner :p

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Originally posted by imsooverskool
is it just me or was alduous huxley on drugs when he wrote bnw? seriously wat is with the reservation and the savages? they live like indians did hundereds of years ago! i think that this text is not credible in any way and i object having to study the godamn thing. Also, can someone tell me just what is Lenina's caste? Is she an alpha, beta or a gamma? she does dress in green afterall. phfffft... year 12 adv english sux

btw wat do u guys think the module a question will be in the hsc?
With the reservation it was showing (from what I can remember) how the savages and the people of the new society saw each other and how the other lived as quite insane, if you wish. Both societies were living in a wild sort of way. Maybe I'm wrong, but hell, HSC was 2 years ago :p

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
i always thought lenina was an alpha... cuz she said in one part..."thank god im not a beta" or something

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
hmm....I'm actually quite surprised that not many people seem to like the book.
maybe it's the hsc thing? :rolleyes:

I thought it was good. but then I'm not doing BNW for my module...:D (read the book about 2 years ago)

same module different texts
Wordsworth/An Imaginary Life
now, you gotta read ours to really get the weirdness ;)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Originally posted by Orange Juice
i always thought lenina was an alpha... cuz she said in one part..."thank god im not a beta" or something
I'm preety sure she is a beta, and I have a feeling she said that "i'm glad i'm not a delta".

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I thought Lenina was an alpha..... I think when she was wearing green it was just her malthusian belt that was green.... I dunno

I don't think the book is bad, I think it deals with some interesting concepts...

I'm actually trying to write a speech right now on BNW/BR.... it's due next week.... being on here probably isn't helping lol.

imsooverskool

HSC
my first assumption was that Lenina was an alpha but my damn eng teacher has been confusing me... note to self and everyone else who reads this

DONT LISTEN TO YOUR TEACHERS THEY ONLY CONFUSE YOU! LOL

just jokes if ur teacher knows wat they r talking about listen 2 them but if they r clueless like mine do not pay attention!

i do think that BNW is a fairly enjoyable book, its interesting and the themes dealt within it are fairly applicable to contemporary society BUT ITS JUST FREAKY AND WEIRD! and huxley was definetly on some heavy shit 2 cum up with the ideas!

Daedalus

i like BNW but I HATE JOHN SOOOO MUCH!!! ARRGGHHHHH IF ONLY I CAN POUND HIM HES SOOOOO ANNOYING AND CLOGGING UP THE BOOK

I am annoyed with John because of his weird culture/attitude. It doesnt reflect on my views, as the main problems he found with BNW like sexuality and technology I think, is quite minor (if they are even considered problems) compared to problems I found such as totalitarianism and lack of individuality and freedom.
His stubbornness to adapt or even accept the new concepts, and especially his insistence of pain as a salve for the soul further infuriates me.
Also, his worship of Shakespeare and the way he obtains cues for his behaviour from it shows that he is no better that the other BNWolders. Both parties are conditioned, albeit by different things.

Chapter 17 and 18 infuriates my the worst. John keeps on quoting Shakespeare when arguing against Mond, as if by doing so he would sound objective. He treats the words of Shakespeare like inarguable code of law.

In Chapter 18 John somehow feels he is unworthy of luxury and therefore resorts to self punishment of drinking mustard water, pain and prayer. What can he gain from doing this? Did drinking mustard water bring him closer to God? Will inflicting pain upon himself make God look upon him with greater favour?

What is wrong with getting rid of unpleasant things (p196)?

Why is God a reason for nobility and heroism?

Why is being too comfortable and having an easy life bad? (Nothing is too easy)

Most of all I hate Johns stubbornness. I can understand to some extent why he disagrees with the above issues since they are different to the Indian ones he is used to. However, there are some where he is not only unreasonable, but childlike. For example, why should he refuse synthetic starch even if its more nourishing. His stubbornness spills over to stupidity when he would rather starve instead of eating what he calls civilized food (he would never eat it, even if he was starving)

keepin_sanity

Hey,
I quite enjoyed BNW but I too find the Lenina thing confusing!!! We were talking about this the other day in class and didnt come to any conclusions!
I thought she was an Alpha/Beta also but then she does factory work so........
And then i thought she was a gamma cause she wears green (i cant remember exactly where it says this but i thinks its when shes getting changed with Fanny). However she goes on to say "I ever so glad I'm not a gamma"
She could be a delta but then again she doesnt wear khaki as she should if she was one....
Maybe shes just confused?

MaZA

tieki

imsooverskool

HSC
ok ok tieki!!! thanks so its established lenina is an alpha! its just her dress that confuses me... sorry im still not convinced!
yeh john is annoying- especially the constant quoting of shakespeare and the way he treats Lenina!

keepin_sanity

Originally posted by imsooverskool
ok ok tieki!!! thanks so its established lenina is an alpha! its just her dress that confuses me... sorry im still not convinced!
Yeh cause alphas wear grey not green!!!!!! I stick to my theory that Lenina is just a very confused person!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)