the weirdness of bnw! (1 Viewer)

robertdapice

Originally posted by Daedalus
i like BNW but I HATE JOHN SOOOO MUCH!!! ARRGGHHHHH IF ONLY I CAN POUND HIM HES SOOOOO ANNOYING AND CLOGGING UP THE BOOK

I am annoyed with John because of his weird culture/attitude. It doesnt reflect on my views, as the main problems he found with BNW like sexuality and technology I think, is quite minor (if they are even considered problems) compared to problems I found such as totalitarianism and lack of individuality and freedom.
His stubbornness to adapt or even accept the new concepts, and especially his insistence of pain as a salve for the soul further infuriates me.
Also, his worship of Shakespeare and the way he obtains cues for his behaviour from it shows that he is no better that the other BNWolders. Both parties are conditioned, albeit by different things.

Chapter 17 and 18 infuriates my the worst. John keeps on quoting Shakespeare when arguing against Mond, as if by doing so he would sound objective. He treats the words of Shakespeare like inarguable code of law.

In Chapter 18 John somehow feels he is unworthy of luxury and therefore resorts to self punishment of drinking mustard water, pain and prayer. What can he gain from doing this? Did drinking mustard water bring him closer to God? Will inflicting pain upon himself make God look upon him with greater favour?

What is wrong with getting rid of unpleasant things (p196)?

Why is God a reason for nobility and heroism?

Why is being too comfortable and having an easy life bad? (Nothing is too easy)

Most of all I hate Johns stubbornness. I can understand to some extent why he disagrees with the above issues since they are different to the Indian ones he is used to. However, there are some where he is not only unreasonable, but childlike. For example, why should he refuse synthetic starch even if its more nourishing. His stubbornness spills over to stupidity when he would rather starve instead of eating what he calls civilized food (he would never eat it, even if he was starving)
John doesn't know any better. He's conditioned too, you know. Conditioned by Shakespeare, the Savage Reservation, his mother....

I find Bernard much more irritating. John has a repect for other characters - he has the ability to love and care (Linda). Bernard is utterly selfish.

He argues in Shakespeare because these are the only words he knows.

Certainly, his self-denial and self-punishment seems irrational, and it is. Just as irrational as the 'Brave New World' itself.

Life can certainly be too easy.

Rob

kurotenshi

Originally posted by Orange Juice
i always thought lenina was an alpha... cuz she said in one part..."thank god im not a beta" or something
i just though she is a beta. i was re-reading (but can't remember which chapter now) and she said she was glad to be a beta or something like that.
(i think it was the bit where she was flying with the H. guy and she was saying something about the deltas?)
but if you read the part later where she's working in the factory i think that was a beta's job.
but don't take my word for it. it's just what i think :p

:jaw: i have an ass on tue next wk and have no idea what i can write.
*sob sob*

Last edited:

lillaila

clear as ice
HSC
BNW....it was difficult to get thru the first few pages/chapters but the middle bit was ok....
Did u like Bladerunner?......I'm not really a scifi type of person :)

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Blade Runner had a good plot to it, but the lighting was terrible throughout the entire film. On purpose of course; yet annoying.

swingin' n

wow yeah-- the lighting only served to make BR sooooo much more confusing....

we didn't have time to watch it in class (cos of a retreat we went on) so we had to watch it in really little segments during lunch time without a teacher :lol: so ppl were talking & eating & discussing themes in the movie &.... well you get the idea... ITS HARD ENOUGH TO GET AS IT IS!!!

ps does anyone get the end?? its a really depressing movie. does everyone have to do the director's cut, or is it just us??

but our teacher loves it-- she was giving it a massive wrap, saying in the American congress they only kept 50 movies ever made, and that was one of them.... if i could have any movie made during history, and only keep 50 of them, BR probley wouldn't be one of them.....

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Originally posted by swingin' n
does everyone have to do the director's cut, or is it just us??
I'm preety sure everyone has to do the Directors Cut.

f001error

i get the end, well atlest ive got enough evidense to support my idea on what the end is about.

watching the whole thing once in a single session would help, then going back to pull quotes...the later being something ive been putting off.

remember english is the art of bullshit, just get your evidense and argue the sky is pink !

swingin' n

Originally posted by f001error
remember english is the art of bullshit, just get your evidense and argue the sky is pink !
niiiccceee.... but what is that silver thing he picks up at the end?? anyone??

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
It's an oragami unicorn thing, like what Gaff makes. Since Deckard dreamed of unicorns, and Gaff knows his dreams (the origami unicorn), the question is raised asking if Deckard is human or replicant.

mei_ling03

Ain't love grand.
HSC
out teacher raised that deckard IS a replicant. when he picks up the unicorn he realises that his dreams/memories have been implanted (like in rachel) therefore is a replicant

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)