The Wheel of Time (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
The only thread dedicated to this series last received a reply back in 2005, so it's fair to say that it's time for a new thread.

I often read half-joking remarks regarding the length of the series and the hope that the author would live to see it through, but I'm sure that the people who uttered such remarks never thought that their comments would, at least in part, ring true. For those of you who don't know, the author who wrote under the pen name Robert Jordan passed away last week. I for one didn't expect it - though I knew that he was undergoing treatment for a serious and ultimately terminal condition, I was under the impression that he would at least live to see the final volume of the Wheel of Time series published. It was in search of information regarding the state of the final novel that led me to visit dragonmount.com and see that Robert Jordan had succumbed to his illness.

My first thought at reading the news was "bloody hell, if not for the largely irrelevant Andoran and Rebel Tower tangents, the series may have ended long ago," but given his condition, Robert Jordan had the foresight to ensure that the novel's plot details would survive his possible passing, so at least we will all see the now overly long narrative end in an authoritative manner.

Well, that's about it.

Demandred

HSC
Yea that sucks :( we have to wait another few years IF someone decides to continue his work.

walrusbear

HSC
when i heard the news i was just relieved i never jumped headfirst into the series

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
When I heard the news I winced as I realised most people would be upset that they weren't getting their book as quickly, as opposed to caring about someone dying.

Anyways, Jordan made plans with his wife Harriet who edited and co-wrote much of the books. Memory of Light will still see release, perhaps not as quickly as before but there you go.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Like everyone else, I was shocked, though I didn't actually hear about it until a few days after it happened; one of my childhood heroes, Scottish rally driver Colin McRae was also killed last week in a helicopter accident.

Generator

HSC
N/A
kami said:
When I heard the news I winced as I realised most people would be upset that they weren't getting their book as quickly, as opposed to caring about someone dying.
I must admit that just a split second after my first thought I felt some guilt and thought "great stuff, my first thought was of the the book and not the person!" At that point I did think about the author's family, but I'm afraid that being so far removed (I don't even know the author's real name, nor do I want to) and knowing that the author's illness was terminal, I don't think that I could have taken the news any differently.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
I must admit that just a split second after my first thought I felt some guilt and thought "great stuff, my first thought was of the the book and not the person!" At that point I did think about the author's family, but I'm afraid that being so far removed (I don't even know the author's real name, nor do I want to) and knowing that the author's illness was terminal, I don't think that I could have taken the news any differently.
I didn't know much about his personal life either, I'm just a tad put off at how many people recently have said nothing about his death and simply complained (not specifically here, despite some obvious examples from above).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)