The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
i think you missed the point. it seems ridiculous to me that woolworths pays their department managers the same as someone who has worked their way through uni, gained their degree, and still chosen to stay with the company.
It probably takes longer on average to become a department manager than it does to earn a bachelors degree. There's no guarantee of a promotion. A department manager also requires high skills in a range of areas, different skills and experience compared to a graduate, but equally uncommon and deserving of compensation as a graduates skills.

I'm no expert on woolies, but I presume department managers undergo additional training and education?

Wages are dictated by supply and demand. Graduates aren't owed a particular wage, or even a job opportunity. If graduates don't like it, no one's forcing them to work there. Clearly woolworths have found the wage is high enough to attract enough talented applicants for all positions.

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
i think you missed the point. it seems ridiculous to me that woolworths pays their department managers the same as someone who has worked their way through uni, gained their degree, and still chosen to stay with the company.
The uni grad's pay rate will increase faster then that of a department manager with no tertiary education.

Evolution2006

HSC
Question About Day In Liew (aka Public Holidays That I are Owned to You), i requested to get ti paid out, does that mean they put that money on top of my weekly wage?

Thanks

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
hey and in response 2 "

When I was employed they contacted me during school hours (omgad, something like 10 missed calls between 11 am and 3 pm) but eventually got onto me after school.
They were insanely desperate for staff though, having sacked almost all deli staff. "

they always ALWAYS call me 2 work , some people can b sooo unreliable ahha
...That's not at all what I meant, actually.
What I meant was, when they wanted to hire me they called me an exorbitant number of times.

greekgun

HSC
But isnt a department manager a glorified grocery/service/dairy/fresh produce worker put into one? why would u need an education for that?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
My dept manager has only just begun her Cert 4, and has been in her position for nearly a year.
My Dept Manager has been in her position for almost 9 years, and in management for more than ten years, and is doing her Cert 4 now too.

So really it's not vital to have a further education.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
My dept manager had no management experience she went from working in a small dairy to running the department. If I had stayed where I was I would have been Dept manager while she was on maternity leave, and I'm only 16.

You don't need qualifications to work at woolies.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Work today was NUTZ. We had every single member of staff on checkouts, the express queue was pushing into the bakery and breaks were running like two hours late.

customers were nice about it though.

bayside9

HSC
Does anyone know a link to where I can find out the minimum pay for nightfill. Been searching under workplace authority, nothing.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
so apparantly Woolworths and SDA are negotiating a NATIONAL agreement, about time

Harry778

HSC
I HATE the end of day light savings at work. (I like the hour back though). So i'm doing an open rite. Its 7 we open at 8. All these people are out the front waiting for us to open, so they obviously forget to put their clocks back. I walk out side to get the news papers and they're all like 'do you still open at 8'? and I'm like yea its only 7 o'clock, day light savings ended last night. They all got sooo mad. WTF?! Ohhh I forgot i'm the person that decides when day lights savings starts and finishes...lol

So they are all sarting to gather out side at like 7.30! By 8 there where soooo many people, opened the doors called express alerts at 8.15, so that was fun!!

anyone else have a day like this?

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
Hi, just two questions if anyone can help me?
-For a 8 hour shifts, what break at Big W should I be having?
-I am going to a funeral when I am due to be working, but Im Part time, do they still pay me? (covered under some sort of other leave?), or do they just use my annual leave (which I have Zero left)?

THX for any help:):)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
-Not sure, but if it was woolworths, 0.5-1 hr + tea
-Depends on how close the person was to you, if they were genuinely a good friend, or member of family you should be able to swing compassion leave

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Obviously didn't go so well :( Got the old rejection email this morning. Obviously 5 years at Woolworths and a near distinction average just isn't enough these days. Fuck it, I'm going to work at Coles and undermine the company.

greekgun

HSC
Obviously didn't go so well :( Got the old rejection email this morning. Obviously 5 years at Woolworths and a near distinction average just isn't enough these days. Fuck it, I'm going to work at Coles and undermine the company.
yay yay yay
nah but seriously that suxs.

Craven

HSC
I checked out Thursday's floor plan... 4 pages of operators all up! Looking to take roughly double a normal Thursday and I'm working 7-4... shoot me now!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Though I am quite happy.
Getting paid for my contracted Friday shift, working Saturday, working Sunday even though the store is shut (sure, it's only time and a half but I don't celebrate Easter anyway), and working Easter Monday. :rofl:

bonkzz

HSC
Hi all, any vacancy in woolworth close to sydney 2000, 0r any suburb cl0se t0 city.
:bomb:am desperate l00king f0r w00lw0rth j0b. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)