The Woolworths Thread (12 Viewers)

PyroTek

HSC
I was lucky.. i'm PPT and I got annual leave for this weekend...
one of my managers were annoyed, but what can he do once the SM/STM signs it?! :D.
I gave a good month's notice though.. I had this weekend coming from before I was put on contract...

Craven

HSC
How do you get annual leave for a weekend? I WISH I could do this but they insist I have to take a whole week off Mon - Sun, so then I get stuffed around if I want to go somewhere for the weekend Fri - Mon... grrr

twelvemonths

HSC
You say casuals can take time off (by giving +1 week's notice so rosters can be done, etc.) just like that, but what if it was over Christmas? lol that would be funny...

Roga

HSC
You say casuals can take time off (by giving +1 week's notice so rosters can be done, etc.) just like that, but what if it was over Christmas? lol that would be funny...
I'm currently overseas at the moment and my boss allowed me leave from the end of November to New Years Eve, which is when I come back from holidays. I'm a casual anyway plus I already informed my dept manager about my holiday way back in June.

HSC
i know what your saying, and thats OFFICIALLY what they are, but once the roster is up, thats it as far as i'm concerned. we once got in trouble from the union for sending a casual employee home early when he complained. well if thats going to happen on the one hand, then on the other we have to be able to trust casuals to be able to do shifts as they are rostered. At the end of the day, in reality, casuals are PPT-ers without a set roster, who can take time off IN ADVANCE OF ROSTER CREATION without reason or notice. i've got casuals taking endless time off in december/january, and thats fine, thats their right, but i would look very unkindly on any casual who cancelled a shift once the roster was up.
I'd rather someone cancel their shift a few days in advance than call in sick/no show. That way even if you can't directly cover the shift, you can do enough extending.

Otacon2009

HSC
A week after my exam, I got accused by my CSM once of deliberately sabotaging my uni performance to get out of work. She stopped from finishing the sentance, but I knew what she was going to say. I stood my ground saying that while it was outside the usual two week notice (I gave them just under 24 hours), I had the decency to tell them rather than simply not show up. According to a supervisor, straight after I endured the lecture, my CSM was ringing up a no show asking why they didn't come in. So, I guess I rest my case.

What I fail to understand is how come a company like McDonald's (My former employer) said that you had to give out 3 hours notice if you are going to be absent otherwise you must come (and face disciplinary action) yet a company like Woolworths demands I must give two weeks notice regardless. Is it just that my managers are useless at dealing with crises and rather than actually have plans in place, they would rather let it pan out and suffer the consequences (and use their expereience to bore those who didn't help out)? I fail to understand why managers at Woolworths can't find a replacement or find a solution to a problem 3 hours (or in my case, 18 hours) yet managers at McDonald's (Something someone off the street can become in 3 months) who deals with it everyday can pull a miracle. Is it just that? Woolworths wouldn't know what to do if a real crisis hit them?

(Sorry, I studied Public Relations this year. I'm being a tad too analysing in that last sentence)

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
A week after my exam, I got accused by my CSM once of deliberately sabotaging my uni performance to get out of work. She stopped from finishing the sentance, but I knew what she was going to say. I stood my ground saying that while it was outside the usual two week notice (I gave them just under 24 hours), I had the decency to tell them rather than simply not show up. According to a supervisor, straight after I endured the lecture, my CSM was ringing up a no show asking why they didn't come in. So, I guess I rest my case.

What I fail to understand is how come a company like McDonald's (My former employer) said that you had to give out 3 hours notice if you are going to be absent otherwise you must come (and face disciplinary action) yet a company like Woolworths demands I must give two weeks notice regardless. Is it just that my managers are useless at dealing with crises and rather than actually have plans in place, they would rather let it pan out and suffer the consequences (and use their expereience to bore those who didn't help out)? I fail to understand why managers at Woolworths can't find a replacement or find a solution to a problem 3 hours (or in my case, 18 hours) yet managers at McDonald's (Something someone off the street can become in 3 months) who deals with it everyday can pull a miracle. Is it just that? Woolworths wouldn't know what to do if a real crisis hit them?

(Sorry, I studied Public Relations this year. I'm being a tad too analysing in that last sentence)
In my experience it all depends on the department manager. To be honest I couldn't give a crap if someone rang in half an hour before their shift saying they can't come in IF they have found someone to replace them. What really annoys me is when someone comes up to me and says Sorry I can't work xx, and they haven't found cover. With Woolworths going too far into this Rostering to task they don't give us enough time to fart let alone run around trying to find a replacement for someone who is MORE than capable of finding their own replacement. However sick leave is different.

Can I ask all the other managers here what their view is on this. Do you find replacements for people or do you look at it in the same way I do?

Casuals - Do you find your own replacements when you can't work a shift or just leave it to your super/manager?

McDonald's, well I've never worked there so I'm not sure about their 3 hour rule.

Last edited:

jirwin

HSC
In my experience it all depends on the department manager. To be honest I couldn't give a crap if someone rang in half an hour before their shift saying they can't come in IF they have found someone to replace them. What really annoys me is when someone comes up to me and says Sorry I can't work xx, and they haven't found cover. With Woolworths going too far into this Rostering to task they don't give us enough time to fart let alone run around trying to find a replacement for someone who is MORE than capable of finding their own replacement. However sick leave is different.

Can I ask all the other managers here what their view is on this. Do you find replacements for people or do you look at it in the same way I do?

Casuals - Do you find your own replacements when you can't work a shift or just leave it to your super/manager?

McDonald's, well I've never worked there so I'm not sure about their 3 hour rule.

I've only cancelled two shifts before, all other ones were rostering mistakes which I don't believe I should have to find someone to cover when I had given adequate notice of unavailability.

Of those two I cancelled, I did not find a replacement because one was for a funeral (told them on the Monday, funeral was on the Friday - ironically my boss still called me when I was at the funeral to see if I could work that day) and the other was because my mum was in hospital and my dad was also very ill.

That being said, if I was canceling a shift for a family gathering then I would find my own replacement.

I once called in sick and all I got a chance to say was 'I'm unable to do my shift today' before the person said 'ok' and hung up. I've always wondered if they just put me down as 'sick' on the roster or not.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A

I have never cancelled a single shift in the last two years of being employed by Woolworths, not including one shift due to illness which I provided a doctors certificate for.

At my store, the responsibility of finding replacements falls on supervisors, not the operator. Nothing is official until approved by the CSM AFAIK.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Yeah I guess it's different store by store. Just interesting to see how different stores do certain things.

Roga

HSC
Usually when someone in my department can't work a rostered shift, they have to find someone else in the department to either swap a shift with or give an extra shift to. My dept manager would rather someone do the shift than to see no one turn up and do it.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
They were taken at Highpoint Shopping Center, Melbourne. I remember these registers from when I was a child, really bizarre, all facing the same direction. I was gonna take some of the smokes counter but there were too many customers around lol...

The place was pretty run down though. The fridges were dark blue and all the metal around the produce was light green. The place is in real need of a proper refit IMO.

But yeah would be great to see pics from everyone else

EDIT: My friends think I'm obsessed and wierd lol
Half the stores in my area are still like this, probably because they forget Tasmania exists. They're ugly and daggy, although a distinct advantage is that when things like cards, money etc go under the belt, there's a little tray which collects everything!
My old (soon-to-be-new) store is actually so daggy.

yes im casual and they wont let me cancel cos i really want to go to the family bbq which mum told me about on monday and i rang up my CSM and she said i cant cancel wtf
Have you never learnt how to punctuate, or do you just choose not to? Or are you a troll put here to annoy me?

Hey hey.. long time lurker first time poster!
Hot tip, go out clubbing with your CSM/Supervisors. They love me for it! :D
Ha! I love seeing people from work out on the town.

Lol, one of my shirts I've had since they originally released the green shirts.
The other 2 I've had for over a year.
I've had all mine since the original release. They're all pretty good though, getting a tad small.

brookie94

HSC
can someone help me with pay THANKYOU
im 14 and turn 15 on the 23/12 so will i get a pay rise then? how much will i be getting in mid january when i get off probation. also how much do i get when i turn 16
do we get payrises throughout the year from the union very often or from anyone

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
can someone help me with pay THANKYOU
im 14 and turn 15 on the 23/12 so will i get a pay rise then? how much will i be getting in mid january when i get off probation. also how much do i get when i turn 16
do we get payrises throughout the year from the union very often or from anyone
No, you will probably get one when you turn 17 as your pay rate probably falls under the 16 and under category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)