The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

nanakid12

HSC
I have Office Cashier privileges on there, as well as service supervisor. I added two supervisors to the office program... and I can go through and edit all the users. I wonder if this means I can give myself more access?

Not that I would ever do this, but if you can it's a bit of a security issue ha

BSammy

HSC
You can, I did. :D

There were a couple of reports I wanted access to so I gave myself access, added them to my favourites, then took access away, they stay in your favourites.

nanakid12

HSC
I may have just stolen your idea haha... we have to print out the refund and voids report, so I added them to my favourites and got rid of the privileges again ha.

Two questions:

1. Regarding those statutory declarations we were referring to a few posts ago, does the office keep copies of those or do we have to print them off ourselves? What sort of statement would you write on there?
It sure as hell beats waiting around at the doctors for three hours haha.

2. Can anyone explain to me how it works with profits and such? I always thought all the store profits go back to Woolworths Limited, but someone was explaining to me that head office makes money off "deals" they make with suppliers when allocating extra stock, as well as a bunch of other reasons. He said that profits we make from the store go back into refitting the store and stuff like that? I was very confused.

Katebrunner

HSC
1. Just get a standard template off the net, you can get one here:

http://www.ag.gov.au/publications/pages/statutorydeclarations.aspx

I'd just write on it something like "I was too sick to attend work on 13 March 2014", and then sign it in front of a JP.

I've never used one for a sick day before so it would be interesting to hear how it goes.

2. That doesn't sound right. I would have thought that Woolworths Limited allocates a certain amount of capital each year to Tjeerd, and its up to him how that's spent. Then he is responsible for delivering a certain level of ROAC (return on allocated capital) back to woolworths limited, and then they start again the next year. I cant imagaine induvidual stores being able to hang onto profit they made, because that would reduce the ROAC.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

BSammy

HSC
Yeah that's how a stat dec would work. I just get the chemist to sign mine.

In theory we're able to use them instead of a sick certificate.

T_Knight

HSC
Got a question for you guys. :cool:

My contract just got changed to Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Now, with the Easter break coming up and myself having to work all those days back-to-back, how would the public holiday rates work out??

Having checked the award, its not real clear by stating the Easter Saturday is a holiday (WTF? since when was that a holiday?) but Easter Sunday is not (huh? When you check the official NSW govt website, Easter Sunday is clearly a public holiday too … always has been). Assuming they pay out holiday rates on only one of the days, then wouldn't it make sense to take "your own" holiday and still be paid, albeit at ordinary?

I know that Good Friday and Easter Monday are definitely public holidays (but would both count?). And despite Easter Sunday being a public holiday, as a technicality, its not a 'workday off' unlike Monday which is the public holiday in lieu i.e. the next available time to allocate the 'work-day off'. Also there's ANZAC day is the Friday the following week. Damn this is confusing lol.

So considering all that, can anyone briefly explain how the pay rates will play out for those respective days in the upcoming Easter period? Really appreciate the help to avoid being shafted and underpaid.;)

BSammy

HSC
Easter Sunday isn't a holiday in most of Australia. Under the list of public holidays in the EBA it then lists the state specific ones, which for NSW says "Easter Sunday (if legislated, proclaimed or gazetted) "

So you should have four public holidays in a row.

This isn't like when Christmas is on a weekend and there's a substitute public holiday on the Monday you can take instead. They are four separate distinct public holidays.

Katebrunner

HSC
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, just something I've been thinking about.

I was thinking about how a lot of our managers are a bit dumb, unprofessional etc, and it sort of made me realise there are 2 types of wollies workers. (1) those that are just passing through, either while studying or as a first job, and (2) those that are making a career at working at a supermarket.

I think most are type 1 (especially given the high turnover of staff). These people will mostly go onto bigger and better things: professional careers, more money. They have a certain level of drive and intelligence.

The people who are type 2 are happy to work at a supermarket, even though the required skill level is low and the pay is comparatively lower than corporate jobs. I'm not saying it's bad to be a type 2, it's great to work in a supermarket if thats what someone enjoys.

I was just thinking it sort of explains why full-timers are maybe less smart and motivated than some of the part-timers; because many of those part-timers will go on to be more successful.

Anyway, just a though.

BSammy

HSC
nah, that's pretty much accurate

except you're missing a type 3 which is those who can't even hack it at supermarket level

T_Knight

HSC
Don't know if I should post this but ….

If you are sick the day before a shift (hypthothecially today is Sunday and youre next shift is monday … verynext day), are you able to claim sick leave entitlement in advance?

Basicallt, rather than the typical calling up early Monday morning and saying "its x from y department im not coming in", could you do it on Sunday night and still claim sick leave ….or would it count as "leave without pay" because they have enough time to find a replacement?? From my understanding, it has to be 'give them notice on the actual day' as i guess its possible you're health condition could improve overnight enough to return to work. not 100% sure.

Katebrunner

HSC
I don't see why not if you know you're going to be sick. Surely its better to give more notice so your manager has more time to replace your shift?

nanakid12

HSC
You're contracted to that shift, so they can't just delete it unless you sign a new temporary contract for that week.

So they'd have to give it to you as sick leave.

T_Knight

HSC
Great, thanks for clearing that one up guys. The reason is i've accrued a fair amount of sick leave (45+hrs) and wanted to gradually start using it up, without being too big an incovenience for my department (checkouts).

I guess the next logical question would be (again a little shady) - can you 'choose' someone to be your replacement or is it entirely up to the manager/supervisor?? Im assuming they've have wage budget considerations to stick… but I know at my store, the supervisor doesn't like ringing around to find someone available at very short notice. They just grab out a list of phone numbers and work there way down it (usually the first lot say 'cant do it' cause the casuals are schoolkids, making it a drawn out, unpleasant process). In the leadup to calling in sick, wouldnt it make things easier for them to just drop hints the day or so beforehand saying "hey, you know that jack/jill is always free on thursdays".

Trying to find the line between taking enough sick leave multiple times each month (but not back-to-back) to exhaust it quicker, while not drawing too much attention and having my hours cut or get changed lol. :awesome:

nanakid12

HSC
It sucks that Woolies don't pay out sick leave. My mate from IGA says they pay it out (probably dependant on which store though I guess, being a franchise). But if they paid it out it would prevent so many sickies.

Our CSM appreciates it if we find our own replacement because it saves him a job (we still have to let him know though). Obviously only if the replacement employee costs less or is the same amount as you do.

If theirs no one with the same wage costs to do it, he'll usually just call someone in who costs more, unless the wage budget is extremely tight, then he won't worry about covering the shift.

How are you going to get away with this? Do you have a doctor that does up medical certificates pretty easily?

I had a sickie a few weeks ago and actually got sick the day after. Karma for me I guess :/

EDIT: I would also like to point out I never take sickies, except for this one off. I'm one of the few in the store who doesn't take them regularly.

Last edited:

proflayton

HSC
I have an interview for liquorland and I was wondering where would I need to go to the toilet. there are no toilets instore and its a store in the middle of revesby. so do i have to walk to the station to go to the toilet. also when i go their its always one person in the store how does one go if they to go to the toilet. maybe put a back in 15 minute sign but what if you take to many trips. i have a weak bladder but i want to stay hydrated so i got to drink my water.
everytime i walk into liqourland they are always eating.

T_Knight

HSC
How are you going to get away with this? Do you have a doctor that does up medical certificates pretty easily?
yep, a good friend is a doctor. not trying to exploit the entitlement or anything. its just that if a replacement can easily be found, cant see what the problem is as woolies has taken everyones leave into account the leave as part of their wage budget.

I need to go to the toilet. there are no toilets instore and its a store in the middle of revesby. so do i have to walk to the station to go to the toilet
They should have one around the back, near the storeroom - its just for employees only (think its an OH&S requirement). If there was no toilets, you'd have to close the shop temporarily with a "back in 15" sign. no harm, really just do it when its quiet.

nanakid12

HSC
Isn't it illegal for certain shops to not offer a toilet?

In our centre, the bottlo next to us is pretty quiet, the lady just puts up the "back in 15 minutes" sign up and goes for a smoke break and stuff.

Katebrunner

HSC
Sick leave: sick leave isn't like holiday leave where you're expected to use it all and you get any left over paid out when you quit. You're going to look really bad if you use all your sick leave - Woolworths do not buget for people to use ALL their sick leave, and they're going to get pretty annoyed if they have to keep replacing you for your shifts too often. It's just going to make you look unreliable. Plus what happens if you actually get seriously ill and need extended time off work but you've already used up all your sick leave? And there is no way IGA pay out sick leave, no company does (although they may let you cash out holiday leave, my sister's company allows that once you've built up a certain amount), because you're not entitled to unused sick leave.

Toilet: I would have thought any shop that's not in a shopping mall would have a staff toilet; are you sure they don't have one out the back? Or maybe there is one that is shared between a number of shops in the block?

HSC
I need easter saturday off but my boss is saying I can't. I have explained to him that it is completely voluntary, but I don't know what is happening now. What should I do?

Xantios

HSC
N/A
I need easter saturday off but my boss is saying I can't. I have explained to him that it is completely voluntary, but I don't know what is happening now. What should I do?
Refer him to clause 7.6 of the EBA, page 58.

Where a store opens for trade on a public holiday, employees who would normally be rostered to
work may volunteer to work the day or part thereof and shall be paid the appropriate penalty for
time so worked. Provided that when an employee chooses not to work they shall be paid in accordance with sub
clause 7.5
If you choose not to work, then you get paid in accordance with clause 7.5 of the EBA.

Where a store does not open for trade on a public holiday and an employee would have been
rostered to work on such a day but does not work, the employee shall be entitled:

7.5.1 in NSW/ACT, Queensland and SA/NT, to payment for the day based upon their ordinary single hourly rate of pay for the hours normally rostered to work; and

7.5.2 in Victoria, Tasmania and Western Australia, to the day without loss of pay, inclusive of any applicable penalties the employee would have received.
Provided that an employee may elect to work with the agreement of the employer and be paid at the rate prescribed by sub clause 7.10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)