The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Harry778

HSC
on thursday my store was BUUUUUUSSSSSSSYYYY! opened at 7 had every register open at 8.30 right through till 10 (close) smoke shop was NON STOP had to people serving and one person filling so it didn't get empty.

Same with saturday, every register OPEN! sooo glad we're closed today!

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I got Wednesday and Thursday off due to 80km charity walk, woo! (but not woo cos i walked 80k)

But Saturday was very biz, we had our first "all available staff" call at 9AM! And the rural stores ran out of eggs so they kept hooning in by the car loads to raid ours. Had all the stingy parents coming in trying to get discounts and its just like no way you bad parent.

Me and one of the other supervisors printed off heaps of policy/procedure manuals yesterday. I didn't know about returns cards, pretty sure i haven't seen one in my life, has anyone else?

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Furthermore, rumour has it that our store will be getting self serve installed by the Juneish, just a few questions to those who work in stores with it:

- How many machines/registers things are there generally and how big are they? I keep imagining self check-in things at the airport but they must be bigger
- What do self serve attendants do?
- How many do they train?
- Are self serve attendants present at all hours?
- Do they take out a few of the regular checkouts to accomodate for the self serves?

Cool thanks I'm quite looking forward to their introduction, hope i get to be an attendant!

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Furthermore, rumour has it that our store will be getting self serve installed by the Juneish, just a few questions to those who work in stores with it:

- How many machines/registers things are there generally and how big are they? I keep imagining self check-in things at the airport but they must be bigger
- Do they take out a few of the regular checkouts to accomodate for the self serves?

Cool thanks I'm quite looking forward to their introduction, hope i get to be an attendant!
- Around six. Takes up approx. 2-3 regular checkouts.
- Stand around and help noobs who cannot understand the system.
- No idea, don't work in checkouts. From my observations, it's hardly rocket science.
- Yes. More for a security reason than anything.
- Yes. As I said, approximately 2-3 checkouts will be removed. Generally around express.

ekul444

HSC
N/A

=our store has five checkouts - 2 double bag units and 3 single bag units. yeah theyre a bit bigger than those - they have the bagging area (a packing rack the same as checkouts) with the note input and coin input/ouput, eft machine and signature pad above this area. then there is the scanner/scale with a large touch screen above it and the note output below it
there are plenty of stories/photos of the machines - just google "woolworths self serve" or visit here - Photos: Woolworths Fastlane checkout: News - Business - ZDNet Australia

=basically what we do is in the morning fill the machines and complete other start-of-trade duties.
-during the day help customers with the machines (this will be significant for you in the first few months) because naturally people will not know how the use them intially.
-you will need to deal with weight/security issues (customers not scanning groceries and placing them in bagging area, and a huge number of other things that happen..)
-also you have a security role because it is a wide open are for people to sneak out with things.
-you need to maintain the registers during the day (replace receipt rolls, keep them clean, packing racks full)
-you encourage the use of the registers - so stand out the front of them and encourage people to use the registers - take them over and help them through the process.
-at the end of the day the registers are emptied and other end-of-trade duties completed.
-thats all i can think of at the moment...

=yes self serve attendants are present all hours - in our store we are not allowed to leave the area unattended at all.

=im not totally sure about this because i was not one of the people in the intial training. i believe all supervisors are trained and then about 6 or 7 other staff. someone else might be able to answer this question.

=it really depends on your store layout and size and whether you are having the refurb at the same time. our trolley bay was narrowed and everything kind of compressed (we had the single line of express registers before - now we have the new double style layout) i dont believe we lost any registers though ... but like i said it will really depend on your store.

wow, that was a long post! i hope that i have answered it all but im happy to answer any other questions

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
OMG funniest shit at work yesterday. Had to answer phones all day because noone was at the service desk. Had the standard 'what time are you open' questions, gave the standard 'not today' answer. Most people were happy with that. Except for one.

Drunk Bogan: What time are you open today?
Me: Not today, It's Easter Sunday. 7am tomorrow.
Drunk Bogan: Why not?
Me: Easter Sunday. We are closed every year. It's a Christian holiday.
Drunk Bogan: Does it look like I am fucking Christian?
Me: It's hard to tell over the phone.
Drunk Bogan: Well are there any stores open?
Me: I think there are a couple open in holiday areas.
Drunk Bogan: Oh, so the fucking people on holiday are more important than us westies.
Me: (almost pissing myself) Not necessarily, it's just the way it is.
Drunk Bogan: Well I am fucking starving, I am going to die of starvation.
Me: Well to be fair, we are open 362 days of the year. You could have come in yesterday. Or waited until tomorrow. Or go to a service station, most of them are open.
Drunk Bogan: Does it look like I fucking want petrol?
Me: (mentally thinks of aboriginal stereotype)...
Drunk Bogan: Well I want to speak with the manager and he can make youse open.
Me: The manager isn't here, and he doesn't make the decision whether we open or not.
Drunk Bogan: Youse are all fucking cunts. I'm going to shop at Coles.
Me: Mk. Bye.

Highlight of the year at work.

Harry778

HSC
lol. Same sort of situation happened with me. I answered the phone one evening.
This lady said.

Lady: Yes hello, I was shopping about an hour ago and I asked for a packet of cigarettes and they gave me the wrong ones can I come and exchange them?
Me: Sorry once you leave the counter we cant refund cigarettes, have you opened them?
Lady: Yes I lit one up and relised they where the wrong ones.
Me: ohh, well we cant refund them now, sorry.
Lady: Why not?
Me: It's illegal to refund cigarettes once you have left the counter and we defiantly cannot now that you have opened them.
Lady: Well thats shit cos I just spent $300 there, so you should refund them! This is the third time this has happened!
Me: And i'm really sorry about that, there isn't anything we can do.
Lady: Well if you dont refund them, I'm going to shop at coles.
Me: Well thats fine, its illegal at coles too. Its illegal everywhere love.
Lady: So you absolutely cant refund them
me: NO, ITS ILLEGAL.
Lady: Well I'm shopping at coles from now on.
Me: ok thats great thanks for your call bye bye!

fucken idiot! as if I care you shop at coles. I sleep better at night knowing she dont come to woolworths anymore, funny thing is I saw her and a checkout the next day!

sach1990

HSC
lol. Same sort of situation happened with me. I answered the phone one evening.
This lady said.

Lady: Yes hello, I was shopping about an hour ago and I asked for a packet of cigarettes and they gave me the wrong ones can I come and exchange them?
Me: Sorry once you leave the counter we cant refund cigarettes, have you opened them?
Lady: Yes I lit one up and relised they where the wrong ones.
Me: ohh, well we cant refund them now, sorry.
Lady: Why not?
Me: It's illegal to refund cigarettes once you have left the counter and we defiantly cannot now that you have opened them.
Lady: Well thats shit cos I just spent $300 there, so you should refund them! This is the third time this has happened!
Me: And i'm really sorry about that, there isn't anything we can do.
Lady: Well if you dont refund them, I'm going to shop at coles.
Me: Well thats fine, its illegal at coles too. Its illegal everywhere love.
Lady: So you absolutely cant refund them
me: NO, ITS ILLEGAL.
Lady: Well I'm shopping at coles from now on.
Me: ok thats great thanks for your call bye bye!

fucken idiot! as if I care you shop at coles. I sleep better at night knowing she dont come to woolworths anymore, funny thing is I saw her and a checkout the next day!
but how did u know it was her when u saw her the next day?
did she tell u the story again?

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Cool thanks for the self-serve answers!
Cool i love security it sounds fun, and we have heaps of bogans.

Yeah i love the coles line.
One guy wanted like horizon tobacco or something and i was like 'sorry we don't sell it here' and he pulls out the "ok i'll get it at coles then".

i don't care, what does he expect us to do, express courier it from out of our arses?

HSC
you should try selling cigarettes at dan murphys!

Our policy is lowest liquor prices guaranteed, so our cigarettes aren't cheap - in fact they are more expensive than safeway, coles, and just about anywhere else. We also don't have a huge range - generally the most popular ones in the most popular size (ie. only PJ in 30s, only Styvos in 20s etc).

People are constantly saying - gee that's expensive, or *accusatory tone* 'You only have them in 25s??!??'

I'm just like 'yeah sorry about that. There is a safeway just over there and theirs are a couple of dollars cheaper, and they have more variety.'
The customer angrily says 'well I'll go there then!'.
Fine by me, we're the same company anyway :)

feudache

HSC
hey ppl...i had my group assessment and personal interview at big w on 3rd april....i am sure i did pretty well in both rounds of the interview....its been now almost 11 days since the interview was over...and no response so far....they havent even called my referees yet....do u reckon it will be alrite if i call the store and find out whats happening with my application??

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
omg funniest shit at work yesterday. Had to answer phones all day because noone was at the service desk. Had the standard 'what time are you open' questions, gave the standard 'not today' answer. Most people were happy with that. Except for one.

Drunk bogan: What time are you open today?
Me: Not today, it's easter sunday. 7am tomorrow.
Drunk bogan: Why not?
Me: Easter sunday. We are closed every year. It's a christian holiday.
Drunk bogan: Does it look like i am fucking christian?
Me: It's hard to tell over the phone.
Drunk bogan: Well are there any stores open?
Me: I think there are a couple open in holiday areas.
Drunk bogan: Oh, so the fucking people on holiday are more important than us westies.
Me: (almost pissing myself) not necessarily, it's just the way it is.
Drunk bogan: Well i am fucking starving, i am going to die of starvation.
Me: Well to be fair, we are open 362 days of the year. You could have come in yesterday. Or waited until tomorrow. Or go to a service station, most of them are open.
Drunk bogan: Does it look like i fucking want petrol?
Me: (mentally thinks of aboriginal stereotype)...
Drunk bogan: Well i want to speak with the manager and he can make youse open.
Me: The manager isn't here, and he doesn't make the decision whether we open or not.
Drunk bogan: Youse are all fucking cunts. I'm going to shop at coles.
Me: Mk. Bye.

Highlight of the year at work.
lol!

samtehman

HSC
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
I was told that I would be paid double time and a half on Easter Saturday and Easter Monday, which would be around $23-$24 per hour.
I worked 8 hours on Saturday and 4 on Monday, which should have totalled to between $280 and $300. I also worked 3 hours last Wednesday at normal rate ($9.30), which would have gotten me an extra $27.

So I was expecting $300 this mornin, but I call my bank to check the account balance, and I've only been paid $180...wtf...

Heaps angry, I was hoping to buy myself a Nintendo DS to make sure i dnt go insane from work.

samtehman

HSC
samtehman, you realise that you'll get paid for Monday's shift the week after.. right?
That doesn't make much sense, cos if I work on a Monday on a normal week, I will get paid that Wednesday.
I get paid the following week if I work a Wednesday or Tuesday and thats understandable, but why would it be different for Easter Monday?

Also, I was sposed to get $200 for Saturday alone, with $30 from a shift last Wednesday (leaving Monday out of this for the moment), but ended up with $180...How the hell does that work???
:confused:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Well I don't know if your store is working differently to every other store.
But I can assure you that it's normal practice that when you get paid on a Wednesday, it is the pay from the prior week's Monday to Sunday.

As for the fact that you got $180, it's quite probable that you got taxed quite a bit. Also, have you factored in breaks? But my assumption is tax. Just take a look at your payslip next time you work.

yobob

HSC
Hmm it seems Sunday wasnt public holiday rates.

Hope Easter Monday was cause I worked a few hours on it.

samtehman

HSC
Thats quite odd, cos the Woolies where I work, you get paid from what hours you worked from one Wednesday to the Tuesday of the following week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)