The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

ekul444

HSC
N/A
What would be your views on a more permanent approach to this then? I'm talking about a hard card barcode that we wear or have with us whilst on shift instead of a paper barcode we put in our pocket and will probably lose due to falling out?
That way, we will be much more aware if it goes missing/gets stolen?
Ohhh right, sorry, you are talking about everyone having a lanyard on, with a hard plastic card in it? Yes? If so, Sorry, I don't disagree so strongly now. I can see the merit behind the idea and it is a good one, but personally I really dont think it is that necessary for every operator to have one - supervisors: yes maybe, operators: not really.
I mean for an operator it is only 7 numbers max they have to type in, and most would do it really quickly anyway...

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Ohhh right, sorry, you are talking about everyone having a lanyard on, with a hard plastic card in it? Yes? If so, Sorry, I don't disagree so strongly now. I can see the merit behind the idea and it is a good one, but personally I really dont think it is that necessary for every operator to have one - supervisors: yes maybe, operators: not really.
I mean for an operator it is only 7 numbers max they have to type in, and most would do it really quickly anyway...
Indeed, I think.. If this was to work with supervisors, it would have to be a hard plastic printed card, because paper is too "risky - crap i lost it, oh well i'll just print another one", if that makes sense.
Supervisors would very much benifet from this, but also possibly the smokeshop operator, who are usually off-duty supervisors who respond to bells/service 10's, do refunds, and quite often access the SVR menu for refunds and more.
Will also make accessing the SVR much much quicker and easier :)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Well I don't think so. Most stores require SCO attendants to destroy barcodes every shift, so what's the difference?
Because there's the SCOs... and then there's the HUGE amount of people who work on front end on any given day in each store.
What's the point of having a hard copy barcode when it means whoever is supervising has to allow that barcode to be of use (to avoid security issues) each time an operator wants to sign on?
And what about staff like me who will be called mid-shift in bakery to serve on checkouts? If my barcode isn't allowed to work/approved by the supervisor beforehand, doesnt this just make it about 93890280912830912 times more difficult than me just typing my 7 numbers in??

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Because there's the SCOs... and then there's the HUGE amount of people who work on front end on any given day in each store.
What's the point of having a hard copy barcode when it means whoever is supervising has to allow that barcode to be of use (to avoid security issues) each time an operator wants to sign on?
And what about staff like me who will be called mid-shift in bakery to serve on checkouts? If my barcode isn't allowed to work/approved by the supervisor beforehand, doesnt this just make it about 93890280912830912 times more difficult than me just typing my 7 numbers in??
Never suggested that they should be approved before barcodes can be used, not sure where you read that.
I said, POSSIBLY, svr's could check storeline to see what barcodes were still active after an operator has ended their shift and gone home (to cancel use of the barcode), but thats if every operator had a barcode, now i'm leaning to more supervisor/smokeshop operators only, so that won't be a problem anymore.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Well wouldn't it create an unnecessary security issue, then, if operators have a hardcopy barcode, usable at any time, which allows them to sign onto a register without needing to put in a password??

EDIT: Would lean towards svr/smokeshop too, but probably only for the purposes of getting access to the svr menu whilst another operator is signed on, not so much signing on to begin with.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Well wouldn't it create an unnecessary security issue, then, if operators have a hardcopy barcode, usable at any time, which allows them to sign onto a register without needing to put in a password??

EDIT: Would lean towards svr/smokeshop too, but probably only for the purposes of getting access to the svr menu whilst another operator is signed on, not so much signing on to begin with.
A much less security issue if used in hard-copy AND only given to people who had SVR numbers to start with. Plus as I said, if it was hard copy card, and was on the person at all times, they'd almost notice it was missing instantly, if not, very quickly. The svr can just disable the card via the computer in that case and just get a replacement card/password..

Perhaps it is not linked to the users credentials directly? For example:

Store has 50 blank barcode cards in the draw, SVR activates barcode card at the start of the shift by logging into their register numbers > svr menu > activate barcode > scan barcode. Instead of having a permanent user/password linked barcode.
So for example, the blank deactivated card which had "336cbgage3" (JUST SAY) encoded into the barcode becomes linked to the users user svr password for the duration of the barcode? You probably don't understand what I'm talking about, but I'm basically suggesting an idea of re-useable barcode cards which can be linked INDIRECTLY to an account without the barcode storing linked user credentials to it.

Last edited:

SS-champion

HSC
You know what would be really handy.... It'd be nice if the barcode login approach was adopted globally within Woolworths/Safeway.
Instead of having to type our numbers in each time, a quick scan of the barcode and we're in.

Scanning the barcode when logged out does nothing. Scanning the barcode with the login screen up does nothing. Scanning the barcode when it has the password field highlighted, says "INVALID PASSWORD".
It would be so easy for them to do, afterall the technology is there (exactly the same as self-serve login), they just have to tell the WoWPOS that the barcode is login credentials...

Might put it into the ideas book.
I also thought of this idea. Would be great if the barcode could be used by supervisors to login to smokeshop or when doing a service 10. I wouldn't have it for everyone though because if a customer finds the barcode they could log into a register, open the cash drawer and steal money (if they know what they are doing).

So maybe just for supervisors to do smokeshop (seeing as the registers are behind the service desk = more secure) and for access to the supervisor menu (also means that the operators can't see your password when doing a service 10!

Craven

HSC
Eh, when you do it enough times you pretty much know where to hit the screen and in what order so it only takes me a second and no brainpower at all to open a register up (take the float out) or start a spotcheck. You know what I mean?

The only time I thought "I wish I didn't have to type my numbers in every time" was when they used manual RTC stickers since they ran out of printable ones and they had moved the RTC func into the SVR menu... drove me nuts that day. But otherwise, it sounds like a waste of time and too much of a security risk. I'd rather keep access to my numbers in my head than on a piece of paper/card that can be lost/stolen... I don't give out my number and if I do (only to people I trust) I change my password whenever I get a free moment.

What I WOULD like to see is the ability to sign yourself off from a register if you try to sign onto another one (that is so freaking annoying!).

yoddle

is cool
HSC
On what grounds can managers refuse an interstate store transfer? I applied to 5 universities across 3 states (2 in Queensland, 1 in New South Wales and 2 in Melbourne), the odds are in my favour for a successful application are rather good. But knowing what a dick my store manager is and how much my department manager hates me working for something other than Frontend (more on that story later), I may be paranoid but they could refuse it and knowing their silent little protest they held when I tried a domestic transfer, I may need a taser when I tell them I'm shipping out of the Territory. How can an interstate transfer fail or is it infalible because of the costs of training new employees vs retaining existing staff?
Just go straight above them to the Area HR officer and get them to sort it out for you. In my experience they're always really nice.

It is fairly ridiculous! Its harder on Sunday nights cos we have liquor closing at the same time. So thats and extra 2 tills to spot check. I get three operators on sat night till 12.30 and the other 2 finish at 12 (5 all together till close) and the ones finishing at 12 dont get upstairs till about 12.10, and the 12.30 ones not till about 12.40! I never get introuble for it..guess cos we always get smashed and doesnt matter about the extra $$? My CSM said he only wants good supervisors for weekends cos they are pretty stressful! I was like *blush* I feel special. But the girl who does closes the weekend I'm off is an idiot..dunno why he thinks shes any good.

Sunday nights-
4 operators till 10, 2 operators till 10.30 (6 all together) And they ALWAYS give me shit annoying people that cant do anything. hahaha.

EDIT: Got some new photos on ma foto buketz! lol..
We only used to get one operator + one supervisor til midnight on Saturdays! Unless its like Christmas, like now.

I'm currently mentally preparing myself for my 36 hours of 2ICing this week. Never done anything on that scale before and I rather hope I don't make a total idiot of myself by not knowing anything.

Craven

HSC
Is there a law in states/Australia that prohibits junior employees from working past 11pm?
During school term I'm pretty sure this is the case, or even earlier.. 10pm? I'm not sure exactly, it depends on your state. I know in QLD under 16/year 10 students can't work more than 12 hours per week, only 4 hour shifts etc and can't work late at night, but senior students can. But during school holidays they are free to be abused haha.

tubtub

HSC
just curious, do any of you guys know anyone who has done the woolworths graduate program, in say finance/accounting? whats the grad program like? thinking bout applying for it..

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What I WOULD like to see is the ability to sign yourself off from a register if you try to sign onto another one (that is so freaking annoying!).
YES, YES, YES!!! I actually have a second login purely for logging in when i'm still signed on somewhere else and cant be bothered to go sign off because it is so freaking annoying.

SS-champion

HSC
just curious, do any of you guys know anyone who has done the woolworths graduate program, in say finance/accounting? whats the grad program like? thinking bout applying for it..
I would also be interested to know any info about what sort of stuff you do in the graduate program.

Craven

HSC
AH, lol, I thought about doing that but figured I would get into trouble if we got audited :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)